ovarian cancer: a year later | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovarian cancer: a year later ovarian cancer: a year later

Unread 05-26-2002, 06:21 PM
ovarian cancer: a year later

After I had surgery last May 31st for ovarian cancer, Stage IIIc, I found the hyster sisters website an invaluable resource. Every problem or concern I encountered was addressed somewhere in it.

I had a complete hysterectomy with removal of ovaries, fallopian tubes, omentum, and appendectomy last year. I had 7 sessions of chemo (taxol, carboplatin) and my subsequent CT scans have been perfect. I never had raised CA125 levels, so that is not really being used to monitor my condition. My drs. have declared that I am on "chemo rest," with one of them using the term "remission."

Generally, I feel wonderful. I'm not tired and I am an elementary school teacher, so that's pretty telling. However, I have another problem that I wonder if any of you have experienced. I have been experiencing pelvic and intestinal pain fleetingly, and ever since my surgery, I have had bladder pain. After I urinate, I feel a pain similar to that felt when one has a urinary tract infection. I don't have a UTI though.

My gyn oncologist says, "don't worry about it" with no explanation and my hematologist oncologist thinks it's related to the adhesions caused by extensive surgery.

It worries me and causes me to focus on the cancer when I feel like I should be moving on and not thinking about it all the time.

I'm wondering have any of you experienced a similar scenario?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 06:59 PM

s Karin

I wanted to say congrats on your one year anniversary!!! I am a Karen also and had my debulking surgery for ovarian cancer last May 31st!! I too was stage IIIc, had six rounds of taxol and carbo and am doing great. In February I returned to work parttime as an RN. Sorry I can't help with the pelvic, bladder, or intestinal pain. Perhaps some of the other women here who have undergone a radical hysterectomy can be of help. Best wishes to you.

karenann
Unread 05-26-2002, 07:09 PM
strange coincidence

karinann, what a strange coincidence that we have the same name, same surgery date, same stage of OVC and same treatment. I'm glad you don't have the same symtoms though. Enough is enough!

Thank you for replying. I don't know anyone with ovarian cancer and I often feel very alone in this. I will be checking in here a lot now that I have found this forum. It's wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 07:28 PM

Hi Karen

Happy Anniversary :

While we share the ovca dx, I don't have your name or stage - but I'm here celebrating with you. I think all of us who've been through a CA experience can understand how the one year mark is a truly special time

Best wishes for a safe and healthy year

Dorrie
Unread 05-27-2002, 05:43 AM
14 months out now with ovarian 3C

I started having some pains just before the last CT and CA125 (mine was elevated so it's used) and was terrified. The CT was clear and the CA125 had actually dropped. I have a lot of scarring and adhesions (noted on the CT scan) and that can account for the pains. Still, I admit it DOES make me nervous! Also, with the organs gone, the others rearrange themselves somewhat (more room in there) and I've noticed ever since my surgery (and been told this is normal) that when I'm through urinating, or think I'm through, if I push, anywhere from a little to a lot more comes out. I've also read on another big board that intestines will rearrange themselves to the point that colonoscopies can be a real problem with the twists and bends that occur, As a sidelight and suggestion, do you know about Acor.org? They have boards/a listserve support group for ovarian cancer among many others. All is done via e-mail (so I advise a separate account just for that) but it's very helpful. Congratulations on that one year mark!
Unread 05-27-2002, 07:15 AM

{{Karen}} and {{Karen}}

Congrats on your upcoming Hysterversary and success on kicking this out!!! Always love to hear that!

I have had similiar bladder troubles since my surgery but I was also having them prior and its pretty much like Margaret described. But I have noticed that I can't ignore those first little "twinges" or else "Get out of my way!"

I do remember having abdominal pain here and there for quite a while after my surgery. I'm a year farther along and don't really remember when it stopped. I think the majority of the wierd pains now come from my still out of whack bowels. Do any of you gals still have this going on?

I know its so hard to NOT think of cancer when these aches and pains keep going. I don't have any "good" answers or suggestions except try to not let it get you down and make sure you make your follow up appointments.

{{Hugs}} to all of you!

Vicki
Unread 05-27-2002, 02:12 PM
thank you

Thank you all for your responses. I feel better already knowing that some of you are experiencing similar problems. Somehow I always seem to get more info from here than I do from my doctors. I guess because they haven't experienced what we have.
Unread 05-27-2002, 04:26 PM

Hi Karin!!!
Another ovca sister here! I am just about 20 months post surgery for Stage II and I had a different chemo regime than you ladies, that being Cisplatin, Bleomycin and Etoposide. A lovely potion that I hope never to repeat!! But it did the trick, and for that I am ever so grateful!

I am so glad your scans have all been clear but sorry you are suffering with the other pains and discomforts. I'm like Vicki with the bowel situation, but my bowels were never regular to any degree so this is really just a continuation for me I think.

Its surely nerve wracking though when we do have pains and twinges, and I guess we have to trust that our oncologists know their stuff and if they tell us not to worry then we must be doing well.

I know with my blood marker that I am tested with...( the CA125 is not a marker for me)....it was was elevated 30 points last visit, and it was never that high even in the middle of chemo...but its still within normal range and they tell me thats whats important...but its still bothers me. We like low numbers, dammit, .

All the best to you, and Happy Hysterversary to you and our Karenann as well this week!!!!

Hugs,
Maria
Unread 09-06-2002, 05:45 PM
this is a long time out but need your help

I am 2 months out from rad hyst and am having abd pain, bladder problems and the things described in previous posts. I would very much appreciate if you would let me know how you are doing and how all this resolved (hopefully) with you. Thanks so much. Judymk
Unread 09-08-2002, 12:33 PM

HI Karin... I am glad to hear that you are doing doing well..Your case and mine could be bookends... I had the same surgery in april 2002. I am on my last chemo. nxt week 6 treatments of the same as you. I am also from long island... Massapequa and had my surgery at north shore in manhasset..I am also doing my chemo treatmnts there.. my ca125 number is down to 14 and all is well.
Keep in touch
Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register