My castle tale...for TAH-BSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My castle tale...for TAH-BSO My castle tale...for TAH-BSO

Unread 05-27-2002, 05:36 AM
My castle tale...for TAH-BSO

OK..here we go.
Thurs 23rd, went to castle. Taken to OR prep room. Given IV and happy drugs <see "other side" post for a good laugh> and then wheeled into OR. Wasn't scared, just ready to be done! Saw my DR, went to sleep. 7:30 AM surgery. Here comes the bad part...

Woke up in recovery in the most pain I have ever experienced. Most ladies make mention of this. Well, my blood pressure had bottomed out. 84/47. It wouldn't come up. I was coherent and in PAIN. All I could say was "Dawn" <name of nurse> "Pain" over and over again. Dawn explained to me that I could have NOTHING for pain until my pressure came up. NOTHING. Weird thing is that I suffer from HIGH blood pressure. Surgery took about 1hr 15 min. Recovery 2 1/2 hours. My Mom was losing her mind. After a REALLY long time of no pain meds I was given a "pump" that I was not allowed to control yet. Every time Dawn would cross my vision, I would say "Dawn, pain, pump". I am still having anxiety attacks about that part. Ladies,,,I am extremely sensitive to all meds and the general just was too much for me. This is NOT a normal experience. I would STILL do my surgery even if I knew about the pain in advance. Seriously. I have still not taken BP meds and this is Thursday. Pressure still a bit low.

Ok...going to room on gurney. I felt every bump. Skooch over into bed, given pump and call button. Sleeping,,,,heaven. Wake up vomiting violently. Demanded morphine be removed. It was at 2 PM. I asked for toridol shots. Whew! That's better. My family had gone home. Nurses take a long time to answer call button. I get sick all over myself and am unable to clean it up. In the meantime, my roomy has visitors! I am hours post-op from major surgery and she has VISITORS, who are staring at me but not getting a nurse. Nurse finally comes with anit-naseau. I sleep. This cycle happens frequently over the next few hours. I STRONGLY recommend keeping an advocate at the hospital until you are at least functional. At 6 PM that evening my roomy has 6 visitors at the same time, 3 of which are children. at 8:45 I ask the nurse if visiting hours are over,,,they are. I am told the people will be leaving "soon". Throughout the night I call for the nurse as I am still very sick. About midnight the GAS begins. I ask for something for gas. DR hasn't ordered anything. I ask to walk...no, they say, not enough staff! Didn't know I wasn't allowed to walk until 24 hours after surgery. Gas is building building. No pain from incision or even organs being removed. Just GAS!
Morning comes. Cath is removed. I go sit on the toilet to try and pass the gas. Not happening. PAIN. DR comes. I look good. <ok> I tell him I have terrible gas. I don't tell him about the terrible care I am getting. I forget to ask him about my bandage. I am left in a dirty bathroom alone. No one even in my room. They forget to bring me anything for breakfast. I ask to take a shower. My clean nightie, towels and washcloth are put on the dirty clothes container in the dirty bathroom. Again, I am alone. I am getting around fairly easily. No one walks with me. I can't wait for my Mom to come back. Hubby came the night before but I don't really remember that. I ask about my bandage. I am instructed to REMOVE it myself in the shower. I try and am too weak to stand that long. I wait until I get back in bed. Finish peeling it off. Still no one sees my incision. Breakfast finally comes at 10 AM...so does my Wonderful Mom. I tell her what's been going on. Sometimes waiting 2 hours passed the time my pain shot is due...etc.. She goes off! <Thank you Mom> 3 different people in charge come to see me. We tell them the whole story. They apologize and leave. Witchy day nurse comes in to give me a hard time for "telling". Before Mom can speak, I say "I AM NOT GETTING INTO THIS WITH YOU!" Nurse leaves me alone. Now, the nurse that gives the meds is the one I had a problem with. My aides were a godsend. Truly. They did what they were allowed to do for me. I get a suppository for the gas and mylacon. Finally take off like a rocket!!!!
Noon...I want to go HOME. LOL...too soon. My roomate leaves. YEAH! I do not get another one and am treated like royalty. This is Friday. I ask for a sleeping pill that night as I am wide awake and feeling great.
Saturday morning, the DR on call to release me is birthing babies. DRAT! Finally get to leave at noon. Oh...on call DR prescribes percoset for me. HHmmmm...must not have noticed my bracelet or my big sticker on the wall outside my room listing multiple allergies!
So..hour long ride was OK,,,took a GOOD shower at home. Wiped out for the day. Pain is very tolerable. I use OTC Motrin, on advice of my DR. Staples bugging me! LOL
This is Monday. 5 days post-op. The pain I have had in my side and back for years is GONE. I feel terrific. I am doing very little at this point. Sometimes is a struggle getting out of bed at night, but pain is bearable. I guess after the recovery room all pain in my life will now be quite tolerable.
No hormones until Thursday when staples are removed. Minor hot flashes, mild headaches which I attribute to the general. All in all I feel terrific.
Great surgeon, rotten hospital. I wasn't sure whether to "sugar-coat" this for our dear LIW or not. I chose not to because maybe something I went through may help you.
I would do it over in a heart beat even knowing how things would be. Oh,,,well...maybe a different HOSPITAL! LOL
LIW...God Bless all of you. Waiting IS the hardest part.
HUGS TO ALL...and thanks for reading..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2002, 06:17 AM
Tracy

What an awful experience you had at the hospital. There is no excuse for that kind of treatment. I realize everyone is cutting back now a days but the way I figure it, if you don't like your job, find another one. As for the dirty bathroom, that's inexcusable. Maybe you should report that to your state health department. You could have gotten a terrible infection from that.

My heart goes out to you for what you had to endure. I am so glad your home and doing well.

I am glad you didn't sugar coat your stay. Everyone needs to be alert to what can happen. Let's hope that's not the norm.

Take it easy now and rest. You are now a genuine princess.

Unread 05-27-2002, 07:30 AM
Oh, my poor dear Hyster Buddy!

I am so sorry you went through such a horrible, horrible time! If I could have, I would have drug myself up there and made sure they took care of you! Those nurses should be flogged, or better yet, made to go through exactly what you just did.

Big s to you! At least it's all over now and you're a bonafide, genuine princess!

Love and

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2002, 07:44 AM

Lil H-----
How dreadful! Inexcusable treatment at the hospital. You brought up a VERY good point, however, to the rest of LIW's, and that is anyone who is in the hospital should have a famly member who is by there side the entire stay.
Glad to hear the worst is over for you and you are home!
Unread 05-27-2002, 08:45 AM

How horrible that you were treated so poorly! We already have the direct dial of a patient advocate in the DH's wallet, just in case.

I'm glad you are home and the pain is under control.
Unread 05-27-2002, 09:01 AM

Lil,

Just think how great it could have been if the hospital wasn't such a nightmare! Besides the dirt and nurses that you couldn't change, do you think it would be worth getting a private room?
Good point about having someone with you almost constantly
at first. I'm so sorry you were sick and had such awful treatment.
It's good knowing you are doing well now. Do your thing:
and get back to us.
It's all over for you!!!!!
Maralyn
Unread 05-27-2002, 09:03 AM

You should write a letter to the hospital administrator telling them about the poor care you recieved there. They will take notice. Let your doc know too.
Unread 05-27-2002, 09:42 AM

s Tracy!

Glad you're home and feeling better.

When I returned home, I posted about my terrible hospital experience. In several posts I have stressed that the most important thing to take to the hospital is REPRESENTATION. My only care came from my husband and friend. I also had the extreme drop in blood pressure, hours without pain meds, even had pretty much the same shower scene as you, along with the nurse, who I called for 5 HOURS - claimed her beeper batteries were dead. WELL HELLO - don't you have a patient to check on during that length of time, regardless of whether you were called or not!!

I know these types of stories are not very receptive. People want to hear about the wonderful hospital experiences and amazing recoveries. AND, we do need to know those experiences. They keep us on the positive side. BUT, LIW also need to hear this side, in order to be prepared for the SLIM possiblity of the same experience.

My s wanted me to stay 3 nights - WHY? - I sure wasn't receiving any care. The Patient Representative happened to drop by - boy did I fill her ears. Needless to say, let me go home on day 3.

Rayna
Unread 05-27-2002, 11:28 AM
Princess Tracy

Welcome home, Tracy! I guess you were very glad to get home! It sounds like you had horrible post op care on the hospital floor. And, no, you don't need to sugar-coat your story, since that's always a possibility the LIWs may encounter--especially in places where there is a severe nurse shortage. I'm glad your mother was able to be there and be your advocate. Hope you are recovering well now and being treated like a pampered princess! I think you'll be feeling better when you get a little estrogen in your body, too. Hopefully the majority of our LIWs will have much better castle experiences, like I did. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 05-27-2002, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the warning of what may happen

I read your post I would report that hospital and the nursing staff. My Husband assured me he will be there from start to finish and until I am aware of things. I have a private room ordered which is worth the co-pay. I will make sure that I have the quality care or there will be h*** to pay by my hubby. Again I am glad you did not sugar coat it for it my help another sister out there. I had roomates from h*** and some from heaven do not want to share a room. Again thanks a million!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register