type II diabetes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

type II diabetes type II diabetes

Unread 05-27-2002, 04:51 PM
type II diabetes

Hello,

Any Type II Diabetics out there who've had the surgery? I have my tah/bso on June 10th and was wondering how you reacted to the drugs and if your condition felt any better after your hyst. I guess a part of me hopes that my hormones will regulate a bit more because I'm 31 and have only been Type II for about a year.

Let me know if anyone can help..I'm really starting to stress about my problems getting even worse after surgery. I wonder what it would be like to feel good again.

Thanks ahead of time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2002, 06:54 PM
type II diabetes

Hello, soon to be

I don't have diabetes, but my husband does. On the surgical front, if your diabetes is well under control, you should have few problems with the surgery on account of the diabetes.

As for the post-op hormone issue, you should talk to your doc - since diabetes is one of those cardiac risk factors, your doc may have strong feelings one way or another about hormones. On the one hand, you are a young and HRT can do good things for your lipid profiles. On the other, it can sometimes be a risk factor for blood clots.

We all stress about something pre-op - and most fears can be eliminated by a quick call to the They are usually pretty sympathetic to

Dorrie
Unread 05-27-2002, 07:53 PM
Thank you

Thank you, that does make me feel better. I have my pre op tomorrow and I don't think my doctor knows what's coming. I have questions..questions..questions and more. Maybe I should call him tonight and make sure he eats a good breakfast!!

Take care and thanks for all the support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2002, 10:17 PM
type II diabetes

I'm a Type II diabetic and am having my surgery on Saturday. Maybe I'll be able to get on line before the 10th and let you know how it went! I have already had my pre-op and, while the anesthesiologist did give me a speech on the importance of keeping my blood sugar in control in the long term, nothing arose in the discussion to give me reason to believe it would be a problem. I had my gall bladder out after being diagnosed as a Type II and it went fine - no reaction to meds, etc. I think if you have your blood sugar under control and your doctors are aware of your condition, it shouldn't play a big factor in your recovery.
Unread 05-28-2002, 06:52 AM
type II diabetes

I just wanted to add that I did see a couple women on here who had to check in to the hospital a day earlier because of the special diet some dr's have you on before surgery like a clear liquid only and it can really mess up your blood sugars. Just make sure you ask about that since you will not be allowed to eat or drink anything after a certain time usually midnight before surgery. I hope your surgery is early in the morning. Good luck.
Unread 05-28-2002, 07:51 AM
Type II Diabetes

I have Type II Diabetes and I had my surgery on 4/9. When I went for my Pre-Op test 4 days prior to my surgery, my blood sugar level was at 260 and to say the least... I wasn't managing my blood sugar. My Dr.'s office called me because the Lab called them! He said that if I didn't get my blood sugar level down considerably... he would NOT do the surgery. (Talk about being slapped around for NOT doing what I KNEW I SHOULD have been doing.)

In any event, I literally cut ALL carb's out of my diet and drank un-Godly amounts of water and exercised like crazy. When I got to the Hospital the morning of my surgery, I had brought it down to 159. Yes, still a little high, but much more in the workable range.

As with any surgery... your blood sugar is going to rise because surgery is a trauma to your body. Mine went up to 296 during surgery and they checked me every couple of hours (in the days that followed), if my blood sugar was too high, they would inject me with insulin. The ironic part of all this is... in your I.V., they pump you with Sugar Water. I know it is part of how it all works, but nothing like running 'up hill' in a 'hurricane' huh?!

I am no Dr., but if you have your blood sugar well under control (unlike me), you should be fine. If it should rise too much, they will control it with insulin. Even if you have to have insulin in the Hospital to control it there... does not mean you will not have to be insulin dependent after you get out of the Hospital.

Good luck to you and best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Noel
Unread 05-28-2002, 08:53 AM
I am type II also

I control mine by diet aand wondered about this subject of sugar levels I go to pre op at hospital tommorrow and I will ask them since my surgery on June 12th is scheduled at 1:45pm. I get light headed if I do not eat. Stress also raises my sugar level a little. I think they will answer the questions but I love to hear a sisters opinion.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register