Keeping Cervix? Your Decision or Dr's? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keeping Cervix? Your Decision or Dr's? Keeping Cervix? Your Decision or Dr's?

Unread 05-27-2002, 07:26 PM
Keeping Cervix? Your Decision or Dr's?

This has probably been asked over and over. But... here we go again!

How do you know if you should keep your cervix? Is this basically your decision? Obviously if something medically is wrong your doctor would tell you it needs to go. I am just trying to prepare myself. My dh said if it's just something else you can have problems with, ie. cancer, infection, etc. why keep it? (Doesn't that sound like a man??) And I couldn't answer. Any thoughts, opinions, and experiences welcome! I go to my ob/gyn Friday for bleeding and cramps for over a month non stop now. Thanks Ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2002, 07:46 PM

Here are the reasons my doc gave me for leaving my cervix:
He believes that it provides support for the vaginal vault as you age. I have never had a abnormal pap smear, and I was in a monogomous relationship, this put you at low exposure to the HPV virus, which can lead to cervical cancer. Given these three factor he felt that I was a good candidate to leave my cervix in place. He also said that some women feel it can play a roll sexual, although he says there is no proof of this. So his final opinion was that since I met the other three criteria he would not remove it. I wanted to keep some of my "original equipment".

Talk to your doctor and see what he recommends for you is my best advice. Good luck with your decision. Kathy
Unread 05-27-2002, 08:30 PM

Hi, KC35,

It's your cervix, and it's your decision!

That said, it also depends on the type of surgery you have. If you have a vaginal hyst, for example, the cervix is removed as a part of the surgery.

Many doctors were taught to remove the cervix to prevent the possibility of cervical cancer, and they're accustomed to removing the cervix as part of the surgery.

If you decide that you want to keep your cervix, you may have to look for a doctor who is comfortable with leaving the cervix intact after a hysterectomy. This is a fairly new idea, and it requires special surgical techniques.

I had a TVH/BSO, so my cervix was removed. I'm almost a year postop now. I have had no problems with urinary incontinence. My orgasms are enjoyable, and I don't need to use extra lubrication when I have sex. Personally, I haven't missed my cervix at all.

It is your body, and your decision, so it's your right to "doctor shop" until you find a doctor who will meet your personal needs.

Best wishes,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2002, 04:06 AM

This is a decision everyone has to make for themselves, unless you are having a vaginal hyst, then the cervix has to go.

This is the way my DR explained it to me: the cervix is not a separate organ; it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs. During surgery the vagina is attached to other structures in the abdomen. Keeping the cervix there is still a risk for cervical cancer, and if you keep one or both ovaries there is also a chance of “mini periods”. The bladder has its own ligaments for support.

My experience with sex is it is the same without the cervix as it was with it.
Unread 05-28-2002, 04:22 AM

Although I had a LSH and kept my cervix, my girlfriend had a LVH and she kept her cervix so it all depend on the doctor. We both had the same doctor and as long as he cauterizes the uterine tissue at the top of the cervix there is no chance of these "mini-periods". He told me they are very very rare anyway.

I have had no bleeding at all since my surgery 3 weeks ago, and my girlfriend had hers almost 18 months ago and has never had any either. Kathy
Unread 05-28-2002, 04:30 AM
KC35

No, I did not keep my cervix owing to the fact I had a LAVH/RSO. with vaginal Hysts there is no keeping the cervix. I do not miss it at all LOL. No difference here but if I was having an ab hyst then I would have probably have opted to have it removed as I had had many not normal smears. good Luck to you hun for surgery, let us know how it goes. Hugs Vicki
Unread 05-28-2002, 04:55 AM

I had a vaginal hyst so cervix went too!
I do not miss it at all!!!!!!
My uterus was so prolapsed that I was glad to get it all taken out!
Not cleared for the sex thing yet--but all I know is I will be glad the dh will no longer be able to "bump" it and it may be more fun!!!! And best of all NO MORE PAIN!!!!!!!!!!
Take care
Unread 05-28-2002, 06:36 AM

I noticed adeno mentioned in your signature. Please take a look at this post. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=61257
I had my cervix removed since it was done vaginally and I don't miss mine one bit. No more pain during sex and I don't have to worry about cervical mucous ruining my underwear. I always had a problem with that before so it's nice to be completely dry. This doesn't mean that there is no lubrication for sex without the cervix since that is what estrogen is for and I have no worries about bleeding or spotting every month. Even if you choose to keep the cervix or not it is still advisable to continue getting paps to rule out vaginal cancer.
Unread 05-28-2002, 07:23 PM
No Cervix Here

I had TVh on 4/23/02 and cervix was removed as it is part of the uterus. Going in vaginally, there is really no way to 'save' the cervix. During abdominal hyst, there is possibility to save the cervix if so desired and doc agrees.

My experience so far with not having cervix: fine. Have not been cleared for intercourse yet, but have had a few orgasms and things are better now than they were before hysterectomy. No more pain during orgasm and there won't be anything getting ed when I am cleared for intercourse.

Good Luck and Best Wishes

Amy
Unread 05-28-2002, 07:34 PM
I have had the same questions...

I had a long talk with my doctor at my pre op appt. I asked him what were the benefits and disadvantages of keeping cervix, he told me no disadvantages except yearly pap smears but that it does help to support the pelvic floor and help prevent bladder prolapse etc. That pretty much made up my mind for me. I am keeping mine therefore will be having a SAH/BSO on June 25.
I really think it is just a very personal decision. Good luck with your surgery. 's

Pamela

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register