Anyone scared to death they'll die? Surgery in August... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone scared to death they'll die?  Surgery in August... Anyone scared to death they'll die? Surgery in August...

Unread 05-28-2002, 10:38 PM
Anyone scared to death they'll die? Surgery in August...

boy can i relate! I am 7 weeks post op and now back to work... i was doing all i could to convince myself i really didnt need the hyst until the 3 weeks prior and once again i bled nonstop and wanted it over with! It was a great last hoorah i guess! I had no emotional attachment to losing my uterus but i was terrified of going under and all the what ifs. While i didnt get ALL my house in order i did much like you are doing, BUT i also didnt want to go to such lengths that i might jinx it into happening!
My dr assured me she does this routinely altho of course it was unique for me. She suggested guided imagery relaxation tapes which i listened to the week before full of positive affirmations and letting me know how competent the staff would be in the OR etc and it helped alot!! finally i put my faith in the powers that be and in good hands and i survived. You arent alone in your fears... While anything IS possible,the risk of dying during a hyst is extremely low.
take care
jandrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2002, 10:56 PM

Hi Dezra,

Having your affairs in order is always a good thing, any of us could have a spaceship land on us or something.

You know what occurred to me, though? All of the people on these boards going into surgery are coming out and posting! I deduced that this meant they didn't die. I go in in three days, and this is what I tell myself when I get maudlin and wonder who will take care of the dogs and the partner with a broken wrist.
Unread 05-28-2002, 11:05 PM

dawn mary
i too took note and great comfort from all those going to the castle and coming back ALIVE and posting!! my experiences went SOOO Much better than all my fears and worries, but mentally i was prepared for it all! While reading about some complications might frighten some, for me it was informative and gave me knowledge and knowledge empowers us!!
jandrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 12:29 AM

I think this is natural to worry about. I had two surgeries last year and came very close to dying during the first one. But even as sick as I was they brought me through it and I have no lasting problems from it - other than scars and a fear factor about how short life is now.

Before my second surgery I wrote some letters to family and friends, took care of some things that I wanted to make sure were done and tried to have an optimistic attitude about the risks - I was still scared to death but at least I had some peice of mind about how I was leaving things.

Now, I'm facing another surgery - hysterectomy and am scared again but I find this website has a lot of answers and people who know exactly where I am - emotionally and physically.

The chances that either of us won't make it through the surgery are very small. I figure I have a much better chance this time because the surgery is planned and I'm not as sick as I was last time.

With all the people logging in here that have successfully undergone the same surgery I feel much better about the odds.

And, now we have an additional reason to come through it OK - we need to come back to the website and tell others that we made it and they will too.
Unread 05-29-2002, 12:36 AM

I AM NORMALLY JUST LIKE YOU IN WORRING, BUT I DIDN'T ON THIS. I HAVE HAD LASER SURGERY FOR MY ENDOMITEOSES AND WAS WORRIED ABOUT MAKING IT...BUT MY PAIN HAD JUST GOTTEN UNBEARABLE AND THERE WAS NO OTHER CHOICE FOR ME. I ASSUMED I WOULD HAVE LOTS OF PAIN AFTERWARDS BUT I HAVE HAD ONLY THE GAS PAIN FROM THEM BLOWING ME UP FOR THE LAVH. MY LAST SURGERY FOR MY ENDOMETRIOSES HAD ADHESIONS AND THIS ONE MY UTERUS HAD GROWN TO MY BLADDER AND HE HAD TO GET IT ALL. I HAD TO WEAR A CATHADER FOR 8 DAYS(yuck<yuck<yuck) AND I WAS SICK FROM THE EPIDURAL FOR THE FIRST DAY AND OTHER THAN THAT IT HAS GONE GREAT. I BELIEVE THAT YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT HOW MUCH BETTER YOU FEEL RIGHT AWAY. YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS.
Unread 05-29-2002, 02:54 AM

Dezra, I can understand your Fears about your Surgery. Please go to this Web Page and look at this, It will help calm your fears!!! www.hopeinhim.net/theoperation.html I know that you will feel better after you see this! Take care and The Best of luck to you!!
Unread 05-29-2002, 07:04 AM

Dezra,

I had my surgery on April 29, 2002. I can SO relate to your fear. I had had 2 C-sections with a spinal, but found out that I had to have my hyster with a general. YIKES was my first thought!! I tell ya, I was more afraid of that than anything. I worried and fretted over that up until the time of my surgery. I knew the statistics, knew that my fears were not likely to come to fruition, but it is hard to get those thoughts out of your head, isn't it? I wish I could say some magic words to help them go away. I can tell you though, I don't even remember going into the OR! The nurses and anesthesiologist were so busy asking questions, explaining things to me, starting the IV, doing this, doing that..... I'm guessing that at some point they put something in my IV to relax me. Because, the last thing I remember is the anesthesiologist telling me that he would be in soon to give me something to calm me down!! Bless him! lol The next thing I remember is waking up in my room, with my husband smiling at me. It was OVER!!!!! I did have more pain than some, but it was over!

I'm a little past 4 weeks now, and I am feeling better every day. It's starting to be a struggle to take it easy and not do the housework. My family laughs at me..... *I* want to do housework! lol

The web page that tweetie referred you to was helpful for me too. I printed it off and kept it with all the papers I had accumulated from my DR and from the HysterSister website!

I wish you peace and calmness and best wishes in your waiting. Please feel free to email me if I can help!

Pam
Unread 05-29-2002, 01:32 PM

Dezra,
You are not crazy. I made the same lists. I think we are all afraid of surgery. It was my first time and I was really scared. You will get to talk to the anesthesiologist before surgery. You can tell him or her all your fears and they will make you feel better. They will give you something to relax you before they do anything to you. Believe me, after that little relaxing shot, you won't worry about anything. You will be fine. I, too am heavier than I have ever been but, I think that is because I have felt so bad for the last few years. I am hoping to feel better and start exercising soon. Good luck to you. Keep us informed on how you are doing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register