getting ready to go to the castle. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

getting ready to go to the castle. getting ready to go to the castle.

Unread 05-28-2002, 07:22 AM
getting ready to go to the castle.

I will be having my surgery on June 14th. I am very nervous. I have been tired alot lately and have been having pain in my back. I was wondering if this is normal. I have an enlarged uterus and endometreous. I am 34 and am very apprehensive about this surgery. My mother and most of her 6 sisters have had a hyst. In addition, most of my female cousins have had this done. I will be having a TAH BSO. I would appreciate hearing from any of you. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2002, 07:40 AM
June 14th

I am going in this Friday. I am feeling better about it than I was 2 weeks ago. I think the closer it gets the better I feel about getting it over with and I'm not even in any pain. But when the doc says your fibroid is growing and has doubled in size I say get it out of there. (My belly is poochy enough without something extra in there). You will be fine. Just keep thinking how nice it will be to be rid of the pain and the periods. There were some links posted on another new sisters site that were very helpful and spelled out exactly what happens before, during and after the surgery. I enjoyed reading it. It will help your apprehension. Take care and try not to worry too much. This site is fantastic. Keep coming for support and you will feel better about it. If you want to talk again just email me. If we all stick together we will get through this.

Kelly
Unread 05-28-2002, 07:41 AM
You're not alone!

Most of my pain is in my lower back also and I'm having the same surgery. I am also very scared and nervous. My date is 6/19/02. I just wish it was over! Keep the faith and keep reading this board. Lots of great info. I will be on here until the minute I leave for the hospital!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2002, 11:28 AM
getting ready to go to the castle.

Hi, Julie! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site on the Web! Sorry to hear you will have to join all the women in your family in having a hyst, but you have come to the right place to be prepared! Click on the 3 princesses at the top of the page and scroll down to find the pull-down menus for Ladies in Waiting. There are lots of stories and hints from previous princesses that will help. Plan on a 6-8 week initial recovery period (healing continues even up to a year!). Read all you can here and feel free to ask any questions you have. We'll be here to support you through this journey! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 05-28-2002, 11:42 AM
Hi Julie

I had a TAH this past Thursday, but kept both ovaries.

Like you, I also had extreme weakness from anemia due to heavy bleeding and backaches. The last month before surgery, my tummy would ache all the time too. I had fiboids and my uterus was the size of a 20-week pregnancy. As a matter of fact, it was larger than my doctor anticipated, so he had a difficult time getting it out during my surgery.

I am only five days post op, but even after a few rough days in the hospital and now having to creep around the house like a snail, I can honestly say, I would do this again in a minute. And my "yes, it was worth it" moment came just today, when I reached under the bathroom sink and pulled out my last box of tampons (I was on my period when I went for my surgery, but I left Aunt Flo at the hospital!). I put a big bow on the box and put it on my 20-year-old daughter's bed. I DON'T NEED THEM ANYMORE!!!!! YIPPPPEEEEEEE!!!!!

Hang in there, girl. You will get through this. And it will be so worth it. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. If you need anything, please feel free to contact me or one of the other ladies. We're here for you.

Love and s,

Lisa
Unread 05-28-2002, 01:00 PM
hi julie

Yes, Julie, so many of us had back pain and for many years we ignored it! Like Shashi, I too am only 5 days post - op but I can tell you already all that pressure from my heavy uterus is gone! It is sooo normal to be nervous and wonder how it will really be. I can only tell you that for me it was easier than I thought it would be....my mind imagined the whole surgery sooo much worse.
My belly is very sore and I walk gingerly, but I'm excited it is over and I have no back ache at all.

Best wishes, you are going to do great!

Lynn
Unread 05-28-2002, 01:43 PM
The wait is the hardest part

You have come to the best place to start. This site has been a Godsend to me. I am 11 weeks post. I had a total hyst and although the road has been long, Hystersisters have been so helpful with any kind of question you could dream of asking. Keep me posted and I will pray for a speedy recovery for you. My birthday is June 14th so I will remember you in my prayers.
Unread 05-28-2002, 02:12 PM
Try not to be nervous

I was so sorry to read your notice as I felt exactly the same.
I am now 5 weeks post-op and was really afraid. Its amazing how time passes and how much better you feel afterwards.

For me the best advice to give you is, just think ahead and focus on being one week after the op, when its all behind you then you only have to think about recovery.

I had a total Hyst due to a huge fibroid and had a vertical cut down from the navel. Being a large lady I was worried about the healing. Everything is fine, there was no pain at all EVER !

It has now been five weeks and each day I am getting stronger and feeling better and more like my old self. I took advice from everyone and was careful with lifting and bending and had plenty of rest, watched TV and read books etc. Now, next week I am looking forward to driving again and slowly getting back into everything "normal".

Please try not to be worried, I know its hard to do but so many of us have had this and we all have come out of it feeling much much better, and you will too.

With very best wishes. God's blessings to you.

From, Rube.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register