ways to defuse the gas... {long} | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ways to defuse the gas... {long} ways to defuse the gas... {long}

Unread 05-28-2002, 08:46 AM
ways to defuse the gas... {long}

I have a book here... Natural Prescriptions For Women, and I was just looking up a section on How To Defuse Flatulance,... since the census seems to be that gas is a primary problem & pain factor post-op. This is what I found so I thought I would share the information,... I'm going to ask my doctor about some of these ideas on Monday at my pre-op to see what he thinks... ask your's too first, of course, and although some of these provide some pretty good insight, others might seem wierd,... at any rate, please read through them, and see if any appeal. Anyway, here goes...

* 'Take two to four capsules of activiated charcoal. Activated charcoal is considered a universal antidote because it absorbs whatever is in your intestines, including gas and food particles that might later form gas in your colon, says Michael DiPalma, N.D., a naturopathic doctor. Ideally, you should take activated charcoal while you are eating a food that you know will give you problems later, but you can also take it at the first sign of symptoms. You can buy activated charcoal in drugstores and health food stores.'

* 'Chew one-half teaspoon fennel seeds. Fennels is a carminative, meaning that it helps dissipate or expel gas. "It helps to correct digestive disturbances such as gas by relaxing muscle spasms," explains Dr. DiPalma.'

* 'Drink tea made from peppermint, ginger, or chamomile. Like fennel, these herbs are carminatives, according to Dr. DiPlama. To make the tea, steep one teaspoon dried herbs in one cup of freshly boiled water for approximately 5 minutes. Strain the tea and allow it to cool before drinking it.'

I'd like to add that it also reminds us how important walking is to help assist the digestive process. 'Walking for 5-15 minutes of walking immediately after eating'........ also there is something we should all know about our fiber intake here...... please read in case this information is new to you, and could very well help save on some of that pesky, painful gas post-op!!

* 'INCREASE YOUR FIBER INTAKE SLOWLY. Eating more fiber is a good thing. In fact, you should be getting at least 25 grams a day-- enough to meet the Daily Value. BUT IF YOUR INTAKE HAS BEEN ON THE LOW SIDE AND YOU START CONSUMING LARGE AMOUNTS OF FIBER, YOU COULD END UP WITH BIG-TIME GAS. Instead, take your time. Start with less than 10 grams and add about 10 grams a week. That way, your intestines have a chance to adjust to your new, high-fiber diet. And you'll have less gas as a result.

I thought that would be excellent information for us LIW,.. start building your fiber intake slowly now,.. maybe it'll help come post-op when we need so much more fiber to help our bowels along and fight constipation, yet it won't be a sudden onset and cause as much horrific gas! Anyway,.. food for thought.

It also suggests 'monitoring your reaction to dairy products, in case you are lactose intolerant enough that it causes excess gas, and not all "moo foods" cause problems,.. also whey can do this as it has the highest concentrate of lactose. If you find that these things add to your gas problem, you can try using Lactaid or Dairy Ease, rather than giving up such important sources of bone-building calcium'.

* 'Season meals with turmeric, cumin, and cardamom. All three spices aid digestion and help prevent gas. They are also ingrediants in curry powder, a spice blend that's trademark of Indian cuisine'.

This next part sounds gross, but here ya' go...
* ' Whenever you eat, chew each bite of food until it's liquified. "The saliva in the mouth contains digestive enzymes that break down many foods. Even liquids need to be 'chewed' before swallowing to start the digestive process." For people who eat fast, thoroughly chewing food takes some getting used to. But it really improves digestion.'

(I also just want to remind us all that supposedly chewing food thoroughly and eating it at room temp, rather than while it's still too hot,.. helps us to fill up faster and eat less,.. good for those of us who want to watch our weight... and stop at the first "sigh"!!)

* 'De-breeze Beans with Beano,.. add a few drops to your beans before eating them. Beano contains enzymes that break down the carbohydrates and proteins in beans.'

Here's another good point though for those of us who have talked about taking extra vitamin C.......
* 'If you take vitamin C supplements, be aware of your bowel tolerance. Some people develope gas and diarrhea when they take too-large doses of vitamin C. If this happens to you, simply reduce your dose until your symptoms subside. You may also find that you can take the same amount of vitamin C daily, as long as you divide it into smaller doses-- say 400 milligrams twice a day instead of 800 milligrams all at once.'

* ' Look for a product that can restore beneficial bacteria to your intestines, such as Megadopholus. These products are available in the refridgerated section of health food stores, usually in powder or capsule form. Once in your intestines, they supply good bacteria, which then multiply to crowd out bad bacteria. The good bacteria improve the digestive process, so gas is less likely to form. Follow the suggested dosage on the label.'

Anyway, sorry this was so long, but I thought that some of these might be beneficial to some of you,.. some may like certain points, while others may like others.
And, Please remember to consult your on anything you are unfamiliar with here prior to doing it... I'm going to ask mine about several of these thoughts.

God bless, and there are alot of other 'natural remedies' in this book if anyone has any requests on information... some of it is wierd, as you may have noted above, but as also noted above, some of it can be very useful and informative.
Good Luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2002, 09:57 AM

This is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing this info!

Unread 05-28-2002, 10:17 AM

I have a friend of mine who is very much in to the Vitamin & Natural Thing", and her suggestion was to increase the amount of Magnesium you take in as well. Whether it be Milk Of Magnesia, a tablet or a pill, adding Magnesium benefits bowel movemenets, reducing gas, and believe it or not, helps to relax you enough to help you sleep better.

My son has CP, and sleep is a HUGE issue with him, as well as constipation. We increased his magnesium intake, and he sleeps and "moves" quite well now

just another thought since the gas and BM sometimes go hand in hand (so to speak)

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2002, 12:11 PM

Hi
Gas-X helped me tremendously. Some days It felt like a heart attack the pain was all the way up to my shoulders. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
cheryl
Unread 05-28-2002, 02:11 PM

One reminder for laparoscopic patients--a lot of the gas is not in your intestines, but in your abdomen, because they kind of "inflate" you when they do the surgery and can't get all the gas back out afterwards. This gas has to be gradually reabsorbed before it can exit the body.

Tips for "lap gas":

Walk, walk, walk. If you're still for too long, the gas seems to organize in one place and make a big painful bubble. (I don't know if that's actually what happens, but that's what it feels like).

Alternate walking with lying flat--you may not even want a pillow. When you're vertical, the gas seems to push up against your diaphragm and the pressure continues right on up to your shoulders. Lying flat now and again gives your shoulders a break.

If your doctor permits, a heating pad on the tummy and/or the small of the back can give you a lot of relief.

Good luck with your surgeries, ladies!
Unread 05-28-2002, 05:22 PM
Thanks...

Great additional information, girls, thanks,.... There are alot of various 'happenings' with this surgery to take into perspective, aren't there? My goodness,...
Oh, and yes, I recall my MIL saying about all the air they pumped into her, and how long it took to absorb so it could make it's 'exit',... But, at least with knowing about that, we can keep some of these other helpful hints in mind too so as not to add to the discomfort..... the less gas the better!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register