Fighting Anemia... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fighting Anemia... Fighting Anemia...

Unread 05-28-2002, 09:41 AM
Fighting Anemia...

Been going through my book some more,... here's what it says on Anemia, for anyone who is interested, but remember to discuss any new regimens with your first.

'If blood tests show that you have iron-deficiancy anemia, your doctor will probably reccommend a stradegy geared toward improving the quality and quantity of iron consumed.

* 'Eat one three-ounce serving of beef a day...
* 'Buy lean cuts, such as ground sirloin, flank steak, or top round...
* 'Try meat from game animals. It provides an excellent source of heme iron, the most readily absorbed by the body...
* 'Chew each morsel thoroughly. This ensures that the meat is digested properly and the iron is properly absorbed...
* 'Have minestrone made with ground beef and spinach. Aside from supplying a hefty amount of highly absorbable heme iron, meat enahnces the absorption of nonheme iron, found in vegetables such as spinach...
* 'Make shish kebabs. Combining meat with vegetables high in vitamin C, such as peppers and tomatoes, enhances iron absorption...

* 'If you're vegetarian, focus on legumes and soy foods. Vegetarians can get enough protien to ensure their iron count is high enough...

FOODS THAT PUMP IRON: (the following chart highlights some of the best dietary sources of the mineral)

Pumpkin seeds, hulled, dried - 2/3 cup - 13.8 mg - 77% DV
Clams, steamed - About 20 - 11.9 mg - 66% DV (daily value)
Oysters (eastern), steamed - About 6 medium - 10.2 mg - 57% DV
Tofu, firm, uncooked - 1/4 block - 8.5 mg - 47% DV
Quinoa, raw - 1/2 cup - 7.9 mg - 44% DV
Cream of Wheat, cooked - 3/4 cup - 7.7 mg - 29% DV
Soybeans, boiled - 1/2 cup - 4.4 mg - 25% DV
Quail - 1 bird - 4.2 mg - 23% DV
Cassava (tapioca) - 4 oz. - 4.1 mg - 23% DV
Venison, roasted - 3 oz. - 3.8 mg - 21% DV
Pot Roast, lean, braised - 3 oz. - 3.2 mg - 18% DV
Spinach, chopped, cooked - 1/2 cup - 3.2 mg - 18% DV
Flank Steak, lean, braised - 3 oz. - 3.0 mg - 16% DV
Potato, baked - 1 - 2.8 mg - 15% DV
Kidney beans, boiled - 1/2 cup - 2.6 mg - 14% DV
Sir Loin Steak, lean, broiled - 3 oz. - 2.6 mg - 14% DV
Top Round Steak, lean, broiled - 3 oz. - 2.5 mg - 14% DV
Ground beef, extra lean, broiled - 3 oz. - 2.0 mg - 11% DV
Parsley, raw, chopped - 1/2 cup - 1.9 mg - 10% DV
Pumpkin, canned - 1/2 cup - 1.7 mg - 9 % DV
Apricots, dried - 1/4 cup - 1.5 mg - 9% DV
Spaghetti, enriched, cooked - 1/2 cup - 1.0 mg - 5% DV
Raisins, seedless - 1/4 cup - 0.85 mg - 5% DV

* 'Drink orange juice with your meals. Viatmin C also helps the body absorb iron. Drinking OJ with tofu, vegetables, or iron-fortified ready-to-eat cereals helps you absorb as much iron as possible.

* 'If your doctor reccommends taking iron supplements,..
Ferrous sulfate (an inexpensive supplement availbale w/o a prescription) ensures that you get the iron you need when you need it most, w/o risking toxic buildup...

* 'Take iron tablets on an empty stomach with orange juice at bedtime. Taking them with milk or food inhibits iron absorption...

* 'If you take both iron and calcium supplements, space them three hours apart. Calcium supplements taken in combination with iron pills may impede iron absorption...

Hope this is of value to some of you out there,.. it helped shed some light for me. Maybe I can get my iron back in check before I get anemic again,.. I'd like to avoid iron pills if I can... don't need any thing else adding to constipation post-op, LOL.
Remember, consult your before making any changes to your iron regimen!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2002, 09:55 AM
Thanks Tahne

Thanks for sharing the hints on combating anemia.

I took the Ferrous Sulfate 350mg. which delivered 65mg of Iron 3 times per day as directed by my doctor. I took it with a Vit C tablet. I never had a problem with constipation. I think they have made some improvements to the supplement. I took mine with meals as taking it on an empty stomach can cause stomach upset for some.

I was also able to build up my blood sufficiently prior to surgery and did not need a transfusion.

Just a caution though to anyone who is not anemic or doesn't know if they are, do NOT take extra Iron supplements. Too much Iron can be toxic and can lead to other health problems. Don't know how many of us that applies to but felt it was worth a mention.

Unread 05-29-2002, 12:37 AM
Fighting Anemia...

I was having trouble taking the Iron pills the Doctor recommended. Once I read up on it and started taking them with a Vitamin C tablet not only did it not leave a funny taste in my mouth but I stopped throwing them back up. Seems to really work.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register