Hi -- made it through another round of Doxil | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi -- made it through another round of Doxil Hi -- made it through another round of Doxil

Unread 05-28-2002, 12:56 PM
Hi -- made it through another round of Doxil

Hi ladies--

Well, I made it through another round of Doxil. I couldn't see my regular doctor today -- he was on vacation (boo hoo), but his partner seemed pretty good. They hadn't gotten my CA-125 level back yet, but I had been told ahead of time that it would probably be up (it usually is after the first round of Doxil and then hopefully it will go down). Susan, I got another bottle of the Magic Mouthwash (I told the pharmacist that if it wasn't covered under my insurance this time, that I would pay the full price, even if it was $1000 - ha!) but it was covered. I feel pretty tired, but I ate an entire McDonald's Extra Value meal for lunch, so I guess my appetite is pretty good. I guess I wanted your guy's opinion -- my husband wants to go down to the University of Chicago to get a second opinion -- apparently, there is a well-known gyn-oncologist down there and he wants to see him. Have any of you ladies with ovarian CA gotten second opinions and have they been worth it?

I'm just hoping and praying that this chemotherapy does the trick this time. Another thing I wanted to ask you ladies -- my mother-in-law is driving me crazy -- we saw her yesterday on Memorial Day and she is always telling me about people she knows who are on chemotherapy who go back to work within three or so days after having chemo -- I usually have to take a week (usually two) off. She is one of those "unspoken hostilty" types of people, if you know what I mean -- she will just not come out and say something, she will just drop little hints into conversation. Apparently, she thinks it is a big accomplishment NOT to take time off of work, but I can't help it if I'm tired! The nurse and the MD told me to take off the time I needed, and so have my supervisor, manager, and human resources, so that is not an issue at this time. Do you have any opinions on how you would handle this situation? So, far, I can't think of anything to say back to her -- I complain to my husband about these comments and he says "Tell her, not me" which is true, I guess. I'm shy in person, so it is hard.

Thanks again for all of your help and support throughout this ordeal -- I really appreciate it!

Love you lots,

Cyndy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2002, 01:10 PM

Hi (((Cyndy))))
Well it sounds like you had a really good appointment!!
And your appetite sounds like its really good! Thats great.

I think if this doctor in Chicago is suppose to be very good, and you want to have a talk with him, then I think you should do it. It may be that he will say that everything you are doing is exactly what he would be doing for you, which will be very reassuring I am sure. And if he has other ideas, perhaps he would be willing to talk with your oncologists about his ideas.

I personally didn't have a second opinion...but I do have 2 oncologists, but they are partners, and they kind of drive me nuts sometimes as depending on which one I see...I get a certain type of blood test. One orders one marker and one orders the other. So last visit I got smart and asked them to let me have both markers tested...so they did.

As for your MIL....boy Cyndy as someone who was very ill with my chemo and was off for 4 months, I don't know what you could tell her, except that chemo affects everyone different, and its very important that you keep your strength up so your immune system stays good. As we know, we are far more susceptible to picking up any bugs going around, and the less time we spend in the public the better. I feel sorry for you that she is being negative about this, as she should be happy that you are able to take the time off going through this when you need it. Chemo is tough enough without family pressure about why we do the things we do. I hope she comes around to realize that you and only you know when you are ready to work after your treatments.

I know for me work was the last thing on my mind, and I was far more concerned about not putting myself in a position to pick up any germs or colds.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers always Cyndy and sending big hugs !!
M. xoxo
Unread 05-28-2002, 01:30 PM

YAY Cyndy!!!!

It's almost over my friend!! I'm so glad everything went well for you today!! And hey, sounds like you're eating good! LOL thats GREAT!!

As far as your MIL goes, I have no idea what you could say to her, but I do know that you need to take the time you need to feel better. My Dr. told me to REST when I felt tired. This chemo is very hard on your immune system and blood counts, so, take your time going back to work after a round! And please.........stay away from people with colds!! I cringe everytime my boys sneeze. lol Any little sickness can delay your next treatment so be careful there, we don't want any delays!! Take care YOU, and remember our motto......

NOTHING BUT GOOD RESULTS !!

Love ya girl and I'm praying for you!

's
Hang in there Cyndy, it's almost over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2002, 01:57 PM

s Cyndy

I too have read about doxil making the ca 125 rise in the beginning of treatment. Keep this in mind, so if your number is higher it is not too frightening. Sounds like your treatment went well today.
In regards to the second opinion: I haven't done this yet. However, I already have the doctor's name and address ready. I actually saw him on tv one night, in a special show about Johns Hopkins. I was extremely impressed with his manner and intelligence. One of the ladies in my support group is dealing with a recurrence. She is now headed to see him early next month.
I think when dealing with a recurrence, a second opinion can be valuable. If for no other reason than to know that two professionals agree with how your case is being managed. And the two docs need to be from two different institutions. Since your husband has expressed this desire to you, I say go for it. The less regrets we have the better.
As for your MIL, you are too kind for words. If I were you the answer would be AVOIDANCE!!!! Who needs that nonsense. Until they walk in our shoes.
Keep in touch dear Cyndy!

karenann
Unread 05-28-2002, 04:17 PM
Doxil 2-Cancer 0!

Bet those cancer cells are wondering what's hitting them!

If you want, I'd say go for that second opinion. It may confirm you're right where you should be, or perhaps it may show other avenues to consider.

As to the MIL, I'd either not say anything and just ignore her (silence being golden) or just something like, "My doctor and I feel that the time off I take is best for me at this stage. Everyone is different."

Were you at UW today? I was there for a meeting--for the last time. The parking situation was such a nightmare I called and complained and it is not worth going back there for me! I got nothing out of it nor did I contribute anything--between that disaster and getting lost inside again, I'd had it. Wish that place was user friendly! I'm staying at MY hospital with MY doctors.

Whew--two feisty, fighting Badgers today!
Unread 05-29-2002, 05:20 AM

{{{Cyndy}}}

Congratulations on making it through another treatment!

How wonderful that your husband would be asking you to go for a second opinion. He must love you dearly to be looking into options for you. And if you are comfortable doing that, then go. It's an opportunity to hear someone else's perspective and learn from their experience. Maybe that experience has other ideas, or maybe will just confirm that you're doing what you should be doing. Let us know what you decide to do!

As for your dear MIL, well, I see it a little differently from the other ladies, probably because of the strained relationship I have with my own MIL. I would be telling my husband (and I have told my own husband many times) to run interference for me. Is that the chicken way out? Maybe, but it keeps peace in this family. I tell him what the problem is, and he expresses that to his mother, and she stops. He is so much better with dealing with her than I am. If it were anyone else, I could do it myself or I could ignore it, but unfortunately that's just not possible with her. And that may not be the answer for you, Cyndy, it's just another option to use (kind of like that second opinion ).

Good luck, Cyndy!

Unread 05-29-2002, 11:52 AM
Hi Cyndy

It sounds like things are looking up for you and congrats on having an appetite. I'm just starting to get mine back. It's too bad your MIL is trying so hard to make you feel guilty. I was laid off just before I was diagnosed and it's a good thing. There was no way I could have worked while I was having chemo and radiation.

You are in my prayers every day. Take care.

Amy
Unread 05-29-2002, 04:02 PM

HEY CYNDY,
YOUR ALMOST THERE!! YEAH!! HOORAY!!!!

YOU TAKE YOUR TIME GOING BACK TO WORK, YOU WILL
NEED TO REST I'M SURE.
THE WORK WILL BE THERE FOR YA TOO.
EAT WELL AND GET ALOT OF REST.
GLAD YOUR O.K.!!
Unread 05-29-2002, 09:58 PM

{{Cyndy}}

Congrats on completing this round!!! Almost there hon!!!! 's to you!!!

I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of the gals, it never hurts to get another opinion. When I had my recurrence, I discussed it with another of my Drs, he is my Hematologist, but is also a Oncologist. He was the one who told me that they consider cancer to be more of a "chronic illness" that will eventually be beat. I couldn't thank him enought for that encouragement.

On your MIL, that's a hard one hon. I was one of the lucky ones who was able to work throughout treatments, at the same time, a co worker was also getting chemo and it affected her much worse. She was unable to work at all. Its so different for each of us, not only with the type of chemo drug used but also not everyone gets the same side effects from the same drugs. All I could say to anyone is until they themselves experienced this, they couldn't possibly understand.

I wish you the best always and pray for great results from this treatment. Please keep us posted on what you hear. Sending lots of prayers that this one is doing the job.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 05-30-2002, 05:52 AM

Cyndy, it sounds like you're husband wants you to go. Why not go get the 2nd opinion to reassure him, if not yourself? It might be you get some good info out of it.

As for you MIL, it depends on your relationship with her, but maybe you just need to muster up the courage one time and tell her that when she says something like that it makes you feel inadequate and right now you need support from ALL the people in your life. She might not know how insenstive she's being, and this will bring her around. Otherwise IGNORE her. Ignorance like that isn't worth getting upset over.

Good luck in this journey..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register