Confused, Should I or shouldn't I? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused, Should I or shouldn't I? Confused, Should I or shouldn't I?

Unread 05-28-2002, 09:12 PM
Confused, Should I or shouldn't I?

Hi, I'm new here my friend Kelly brought me here, she has surgery booked for June 5th. Here's my story.
1 year ago after a pap my Dr told me I had abnormal cells. I then went to see a gyn and he said I have severe dsyplasia (CIN111 pre-cancerous cells)and it was only a matter of time and I would get cancer. I left his office in a bit of shock, then started looking up everything I could find on severe dyplasia. I learned all about hpv virus and what my options were. It had been 2 years since I had a pap.
My gyn suggested a LEEP procedure. I thought okay lets get this over with, WELL, I have had 2 LEEPS and I am frustrated. After my last visit his office called and told me I had to get there ASAP I still had some cells left. I have another LEEP booked for May 31.
I still have dysplasia 1 year later.
It seems to me that my severe dysplasia is very aggressive and all the info I read says if you're finished having children then why risk keeping everything?It's not if it's when I would get cancer.
Why is my Dr taking the chance of reoccurence? When will he admit that he is having a difficult time getting rid of this?
Should I have a second opinion?
Should I have a hysterectomy to protect myself?
I am ready for a hysterectomy.
Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, before Kelly brought me here I felt very alone.
Michellex3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2002, 09:58 PM
Hi Michelle

Welcome to Hystersisters. I am glad you have found us and decided to post.
I think a second opinion is always worthwhile. It is a good way to gain some perspective on the best procedure, timing, risk factors etc. It may help you confirm, if in fact hysterectomy is the way to go and aid you in choosing a surgeon.
I don't have any experience with the LEEP procedure. You may want to join us over on the cancer concerns forum. It is a great place to get feedback on your situation. Also, lot's of support as you weigh your options and make your decision. Here is the link:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for....php?forumid=6
Please read through all of the pull down menu's on the Home Page as well. There is lot's of information to assist you in preparing for the surgery if needed.
Unread 05-29-2002, 05:01 AM
Hello

A second opinion never hurts that is for sure. Have you discussed a hysterctomy with your Dr. Have you had children? Or do you want them . Maybe there are reasons for him waiting.

Remember it is your body and you can be a major player in the outcome of your medical care.

Take care and Welcome. We are glad you found us!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 05:45 AM

Michelle,

First let me say that you are doing the most important thing and that is arming yourself with information. It is important that you know as much as you can so that you can take part in your healthcare and not be just a bystander blindly following everything that your doctor says.
Also, my opinion is that it might not be a bad idea to get a second opinion to make sure that your doctor is following the right course.
Talk to your doctor too and find out what your other options are at this point . After all of this you should be able to make an informed decision about the best way to continue with your care.

I wish you the best in whatever you and your doctor decide and hope that it all goes well for you.
Unread 05-29-2002, 05:58 AM

Hi Michelle, I have had cervical dysplasia for 10 years now. I have had 3 cone biopsies with a D&C each time as well as the LEEP each time. Most recent surgery was 1/31/02. First 2 surgeries were in 1992, so I was 10 years without problems. After last surgery, the biopsy looked good, clean margins inside and out. Went back for three month follow up PAP and... SURPRISE, dysplasia galore! I'm 46 yrs old, never had kids and don't really want to start now, so for me the decision is to have a hyst. I meet with the surgeon on 6/4. The cone biopsies worked for me for 10 years, it is worth discussing with your doc (or two docs), or as many people as it takes until you are comfortable with your decision. The Hyster Sisters are a great source of comfort, glad you found us.
Unread 05-30-2002, 08:05 AM
CKJ

I am worried that it will return at some point in my life and the anxiety is killing me. My gyn thinks it is unneccesary to have a hyst at this time. I think I am only protecting myself. I have three children and I am 38 so why try so hard to keep everything.
CKJ do you wish that you would have just had the hyst years ago then you wouldn't have to worry about it now? I still have dysplasia and can't see any light at the end of the tunnel and really I am okay about having a hyst.-Michelle
Unread 05-30-2002, 08:13 AM
Hello

Michelle I think you have answered your own question

The waiting and anxiety is going to really bother you. You have 3 children and need to get on with your life hmmmmmmmmmm!

I am 36 now was 35 at time of surgery. I had an amazing recovery and am thrilled with the results of my surgery. This summer is going to be so great.

Get as much information as you can and make an informed decision. Remember it is your decision and your life.

Take care and let us know what you decide. Either way we are here for you!

Unread 05-30-2002, 01:04 PM

Hi Michelle, no, I have no regrets about any decisions I've made, either 10 years ago or now. At that time I was engaged to be married and wanted a family, so it was important to me to do everything to reach that goal. Well... the engagement broke off and I never did have any kids, but that is life. So now when faced with the same dilema, I am opting for a hyst with my gyn's blessing. I would encourage you to seek a second opinion, it never hurts. I have cervical dysplasia, which may never develop into full blown cancer, but with my medical history I do not want to take that chance. I am probably a little more neurotic than most people as I work in a hospital (a cancer hospital no less!) and see a lot of things on a daily basis. I am driving the medical staff crazy with my anxiety and questions. I think some of the docs want to operate on me just to shut me up! Bottom line... talk to as many people as you can, and trust your judgement. No one knows YOU as well as you do. Good luck. DKJ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register