Pre-Op Exam - Very Upsetting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Exam - Very Upsetting Pre-Op Exam - Very Upsetting

Unread 05-29-2002, 07:20 AM
Pre-Op Exam - Very Upsetting

Hi Sisters!

Yesterday I had my pre-op exam for my June 4 TAH/BSO (severe endo). Even though I had Aunt Flo my Gyne wanted to examine me. Once he inserted his arm he touched "something" and I screamed and jumped thru the roof... he quickly got out of there and proceeded to tell me that the endo got worse and on top of that he thinks I have adenomyosis... I don't even know what that is. Then, he tells me that he is NOT going to put me on hormones, even though he has been saying for 2 months that he would slap a patch on my during surgery. NOW he says that the hormones could make the endo come back... didn't he know that 2 months ago? He said IF you get hot flashes we may put you on hormones... Now I'm really scared... I have no sex drive as it is... now will I just dry up and die? And, on top of that, he gives me a prescription for a bowel prep... when I went to Osco to fill the prescription she showed me the "gallon jug" of crap I have to drink the night before surgery.... 4 quarts of yuck!

Any advice about the adenomyosis or the hormones? Thanks ladies... you have been such a help to me!

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 07:32 AM

HI,

I had endo and adenomyosis and I am on premarin and doing fine. My doctor never mentioned to me that the endo could come back. hmmm........

Also for my bowel prep the day before I drank Magnesium of Citrate it's a small bottle but potent. Very lemony fizzy stuff, ask doctor is that would be good for you. I also had to do a fleet enema the night before. But it was no big deal for me better than having the nurse do it....been there - done that.,....good luck xxoo Paula
Unread 05-29-2002, 07:36 AM

Adenomyosis is "Internal endo" it is endo but with in the uterus. Go to various websites and it will explain what it is.

The reason he may not put you on hormones cause it my worsen your symptoms, especially with Adenomyosis. that is why my doctor did not do it.

Yeah it is hell, but believe me when it is all over and done with you will feel so much better. I am 5 weeks post-op and I haven't felt this great in over a year. Plus my sex drive is back, I haven't had that in over a year also.

Good luck, everything will soon be alot better for you!

Archide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 07:56 AM

(((((Nancy))))))))

I had the magnesium citrate-lemon flavor. It is a 10 ounce bottle you drink straight up and clear all obstacles to the bathroom! Maybe he will let you have that instead?

I know all about Endo and YES it can come back and HRT is usually withheld for a few months if you have severe stage 4
of it. Fortunately, I have not really had any symptoms of menopause yet. The only hot flashes I have ever had was when I took Lupron injections. Maybe you will not have them either.
It isn't written in stone that you will have them! My doc seems to think I have "skipped" that portion of menopause and will not have them. Crossing my fingers!!!! I am not taking any form of HRT and I do not use Herbal remedies.

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted.

Hugs,
Kathy
Unread 05-29-2002, 07:58 AM

Kathy,

Was your sex drive affected at all by NOT being on hormones?

Nancy
Unread 05-29-2002, 08:57 AM

OMG!!!

If anything it has increased! I am not having any problems in that department. I felt so much better after the tah/bso and now that I have this other problem taken care of, it has increased even more.
You could worry yourself sick over all of this...everyone is so different! If your libido is in good shape now it will probably be afterward.

Take of yourself!

Kathy
Unread 05-29-2002, 10:26 AM

You might want to ask your Dr what the time frame he is looking at for no hormones. Is it indefianate or just for a short time. Mine said two weeks, but if it got bad, we could revisit the timing.

9 days and counting!! Some hot flashes and a couple of crying spells, but not awful yet.

Caren
Unread 05-29-2002, 10:35 AM

Caren,

He said he NEVER wanted me to go on the hormones because the endo would come back... I don't understand where it could possibly come back to.... I'm having everything removed. Plus, I really don't want to start growing a beard and dealing with vaginal dryness and all the other stuff you hear about. It just scares me. Why did your doctor want you to wait 2 weeks?

Nancy
Unread 05-29-2002, 11:09 AM

He wanted to give everything a chance to settle down and he also wanted me up and around more to decrease the chance of blood clots. At no time did he ever suggest that I could not go onto HRT. We would have to have argued about that!! In my opinion there is too much research that shows the positive effects of HRT (and a slight increased risk of breast cancer).

You might want to revisit the topic of HRT with your Dr if it is something that you have concerns about.

Good luck

Caren
Unread 05-29-2002, 12:38 PM
HRT for now

Hi,

My doctor was worried about it too. What WE decided together was if the endo comes back then he didn't get it all in the first place. I am on premarin 1.25 if the endo comes back he said we would just stop taking it and it should start dying off. If for some reason it does come back and removing HRT doesn't help it he would do another lap to remove what he found. My endo wasn't staged very high just very painful on my ovaries. My main problem after lap was adhesions from the lap to diagnose the endo. It's like a never ending circle. Anyway I'm more than a month post-op and already I feel much better than I did. Try talking to your doctor. Is he going to remove the endo he finds or just your organs. If he leaves the endo it may survive without hrt. Sometimes endo can even produce it's own hormones to survive. Even fat cells in our body can sometime produce hormones that will let it grow. Endo can grow anywhere inside not just female organs. It was on all of the ligiments (sp?) and moving toward my colon. He removed what he found.

Good luck and don't worry too much about hrt. If your symptoms of menopause are too bad afterward and your doctor refuses hrt get another opinion.

Oh yeah one more thing my sex drive is in full swing it a shame I'm not released to resume intercouse yet

Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register