Latex and Bandage Allergy Warnings | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Latex and Bandage Allergy Warnings Latex and Bandage Allergy Warnings

Unread 05-29-2002, 01:03 PM
Latex and Bandage Allergy Warnings

Ladies,

If you have a latex or bandage allergy (or any other allergies, for that matter), be very careful when you go to the hospital. Just because the information is plastered in big red letters on the front of your chart, doesn't mean the nurses actually read the warnings.

I am very allergic to bandages like band-aids, pressure bandages, etc. My skin errupts in blisters and peels off leaving large raw areas which quickly become infected. It only takes a few moments contact for the rash to set in. (I still have a band-aid shaped scar on my breast where I had a biopsy in March.)

I told the admitting nurse who did my pre-op at the hospital. I told my doctor. I told my doctor's nurse. It was marked on the front of my chart in the allergy section. Didn't matter.

Everytime a nurse came to draw blood or restart my IV after it infiltrated, she invariably had a band-aid with her. I had to tell each and every one that I was allergic to band-aids and to use paper tape. And what was scary was that for most of the first two days, I was so groggy and out of it, that I almost didn't catch a couple of them.

If I ever go for surgery again or for any other type of hospitalization, I'm going to have "NO BAND-AIDS" tattoed on my forehead in big red letters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 01:35 PM

You are soooooo right about this! I have an allergy to certain tape adhesives and they put a band on my wrist to warn everyone. It didn't do a bit of good. I had to remind everyone just like you that I needed paper tape. Seems that paper tape was hard to come by at my hospital because they always had to hunt some down.

I like your idea of having it tattoed on your forehead. Just make sure it's not permanent!
Unread 05-29-2002, 02:43 PM
latex alergy

hellow shashi, i am allergic to lots of things including surgical steel, i could not have staples to close the wound after surgery, the doctors were concerned about the clamps used in surgery but i was ok, what i didnt know is that i am allergic to latex, i cannot explain how the pain felt worse than labor pains, it turned out that i was allergic to the cathater LATEX!once it was removed within an hour i was walking about, sickness had gone and the pain stopped, i had my tah on 22-4-02 no problems just very bored, five week check up on friday, going out saturday night first time in two months, cant wait!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 05:29 PM

Nurses are trained to ask about allergies before giving any medications. When they take care of numerous patients they can't remember each patients allergies. And most medical people will not think to ask about allergies to band aides and tapes, etc. What you might do is ask for a large sign to be taped to the wall at the head of your bed where every person who comes in can see it.

Caren
Unread 05-29-2002, 05:36 PM
Question about the blisters!!

Shashi,
What you said about your breakouts (blisters and peeling skin) really stood out to me,.. I have some questions!!
Can you describe them a little more specifically? I get something similar, and have always atributed it to stress, but lately I've been wondering if I'm allergic to something I use regularly and don't know it??? Because usually it would go away after a couple weeks, but I've been battling this now for months and it's only getting worse,.... it could still be stress, as I've noticed that the closer I get to having my surgery the worse it seems to be getting,.. and spreading. I haven't seen anyone about it,.. I'm going to make an appt. with a dermatologist for next week, but what you said just really caught my eye so I had to ask.
For me, I get these itsy, bitsy blisters that erupt in clusters,.. some are slightly above the skin so it feels 'bumpy', but most are below the surface,.. they actually drill down into my flesh,.. the skin dies, and peels away, leaving raw, tender, and burning flesh behind... the surrounding skin gets sooooo dry that it cracks... it is absolutley horrific... I always used to get it on my hands,. on certain fingers in fact,.. then several months ago it started up in both of my thumbs instead, and also my left foot... the blisters on my foot are large, like normal blisters you would get on your hand after hard work, but the skin is so dry, and it's been peeling away... my poor foot! Now a couple days ago, I noticed I am getting the tiny blisters on several of my fingers on both hands again, and it seems to be gradually spreading like wildfire now....... does any of this sound familiar, or do you think my case is completely different from your's??? I am making an appt. with a dermatologist, but I wanted to ask your thoughts as well since I noticed what sounded like a possible similarity........ this has had me baffled for years, but only in the last several months has it become a really srious problem... I know I shouldn't have put it off for so long either, but with 3 small children, and all my other problems,.. it's hard to find time, and when there finally is some, I just don't want to!! But I HAVE to now............. thanks for taking the time to share yor thoughts on this.
Unread 05-29-2002, 05:57 PM
Hi Tahnee,

The only time I have the rash, blisters, and raw patches is when my skin is exposed to band-aids. My allergy to them has increased dramatically over the years, especially this past year. It started with just a slight irritation after I'd take the band-aid off, and now I'm positively paranoid about getting one anywhere near me. I can have one on for 30 minutes and end up with bad blisters and an itchy rash which last for days.

I'd check with your dermatologist about what you're experiencing. Could be some sort of allergy, or something else entirely.

Let me know what you find out.

s,

Lisa
Unread 05-29-2002, 06:48 PM

Sashi: Thanks for the warning! I will have to make sure the staff is all aware of my allergies when I go in for my castle stay too. I didn't think of needing to remind the nurses of what I shouldn't be getting

Tahnee: If you are making an appointment next week, you might want to ask about excema. I have excema on my arms that is like dry skin to the extreme, cracked and oozing sometimes, but the patches I get on my hands sounds like what you have: blisters that are sometimes raised, sometimes embedded. They either pop or dry out sometimes leaving 'holes' of red irritated skin. Excema often gets worse when you are under stress, I know mine sure does. I have a cortisone cream for it and it works quite well. Good luck with the dermatoligist, he/she should be a big help, there is no need to suffer when you don't have too!

s

Jenn
Unread 05-29-2002, 06:56 PM
Thanks, Jenn!

I never would of thought of possibly having excema!! The ones on the hands sure sound alike,.. I will definatley check into this more and make that appointment!!
Unread 05-29-2002, 08:15 PM

Tahnee: It might also be a fungal infection superimposed on the eczema...have had lots of experience with that.

Also, ladies, if you can find Microfoam tape at your hospital, it's wonderful stuff .Steal rolls of it where you can (not literally, but if they start a roll for you, you take it home).

The latex issue is a BIG one. All patient care workers must take tests about it at least once every two years. Even with that, and even though I told the anesthesiologist immediately before he gave me the sleepy stuff, they still used a mask for my general anesthesia that left me with a throat nearly swollen shut and a raw and swollen tongue which all still has not resolved two weeks later. I cannot emphasize enough telling EVERYONE about a latex sensitivity especially -- tape allergies are rarely lifethreatening (although they scar) but latex allergy can be.

Good luck!

Audrey
Unread 05-29-2002, 08:21 PM
Tape and Latex Allergies

The bad thing too about tape and latex allergies is they can get progressively worse.

What started out a mild band-aid allergy (band-aids have latex in them), can over the years progress to full blown latex allergy. So if you can protect yourself as much as possible to exposure, the better off you'll be.

The sign hanging over the bed is a good idea. Or, have them hang the sign on the door going into your room. Just be aware that nurses do make mistakes. If you're too out of it to stick up for yourself, make sure you have a family member with you who can always check for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register