Camping @ 3 wks. post-op??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Camping @ 3 wks. post-op??? Camping @ 3 wks. post-op???

Unread 05-29-2002, 05:16 PM
Camping @ 3 wks. post-op???

Hey, girls,.. and maybe I should be posting this in post-op, but here goes...
Am I getting my hopes up too high to think I MIGHT manage to pull off going camping over 4th of July weekend??? I'll be 3 weeks post-op to the very day on July 4th..... we go up in the mountains to a private party up on one of the ridges,.. it's a quad camp (ATVs), and LOADS of fun...... I wouldn't go riding, (of course not!! but I sure will want to, hehe),... I am wondering if anyone thinks I'll be up for the drive, and then to just sit around the campfire (they build a huge bonfire they keep going the entire time, and the food is awesome,.. I have a great chair I could be comfy in w/ my tummy pillow too)........ We have a 33' motorhome, and so I won't be roughing it by any means, except the couple of steps to get in & out. I was thinking about seeing if my mom would like to take our girls (3) for that weekend so just DH & I could go by ourselves.... Would be nice to have some time for just us before he had to go back to work... (he'll be staying home with me and the kids for 3 weeks so this'll be right before he has to go back).
He could ride, and I could have visit time, and toast marshmellows (better find a really long stick!!), and nap in the MH whenever I needed or wanted to.... Anyway,.. I know every one is different, but seems to me that by 3 weeks post-op I very well could be up for the ride,.. and remember I'll just be sitting around the fire... RELAXING 100%. I figure I'll play things be ear, of course, and see how I really am doing by then, but the thought sounds nice, doesn't it?
They can't take my dreams & wishful thinking!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 05:33 PM

Gee, it sounds wonderful. Try your question on the post side. And include what your symtoms are and what surgery you're having. The girls over there talk about hitting a 3 week wall. My bet is that they will say to reschedule.

I wish you the best!
Maralyn
Unread 05-29-2002, 05:46 PM
Hi Tahne

Gee, 3 weeks sounds pretty soon for a camping trip to me. I am sure you will get lot's of opinions here. The most important thing is how you feel which of course you will not know until the time comes.
I had an excellent recovery and yet I think it would have been too much for me at that point. A long bumpy ride and then being away from alot of creature comforts of home sounds a bit difficult. I am sure your RV is nice and yes it does sound wonderful. But it still may be more than you can deal with. Someting to keep in mind in addition to your physical healing is how you will feel emotionally. Again you may be fine but then again you may not. This is an emotional time and lot's of hormone fluctuations going on. The 3 week wall seems to hit most of us too. For me I felt worse than the first 2 weeks.
Remember if people see you up they think you are okay and expect you to participate more than you might be ready for.
If the whole experience proves to be too exhausting, uncomfortable, noisey, demanding etc. What would you do?
And then again you may be fine and go off and have a great time resting But, I would play it completely by ear if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 06:14 PM

I'm supposed to go tent camping and sleeping on an air mattress and riding on a boat and I'll be 4 weeks post-op. I don't think I'm going to be able to do it. Ten hour drive in a pick-up will be hard enough I think. It's really hard to guess. My Mom definitely tells me "oh please don't try to do that." Makes me more determined to try, but I didn't tell her I already decided I probably wouldn't go. Cruel, huh.
Unread 05-29-2002, 06:42 PM

Hi Tahnee,

on my 3 week weekend, I drove around the prairies for about 4 hours. not much walking, spent most of the next day cooking waiting for my kids to arrive from their road trip, spent the next day visiting friends in 2 different coffee shops for 4 hours, and on the final day spent the day in a lounger on the patio, and the evening sitting upright on around a kitchen table. To travel, I take a thick blancket strapped tight under the seat belt on my tummy, and put my feet on the dashboard. Even the slighest jolt hurts, just enough to make you wonder if you are injuring something. I fond lying down on the back seat better. I've been thoroughly exhausted since, but getting out of the apartment was such a pick me up that it was worth it, and I will gladly do my penance and stay in bed. If you can't rest after the trip, think about not going.

I took my tummy blanket everywhere, for looks if not security, and made sure I was with someone in case I got exhausted. I made it clear to everyone that I had had major surgery recently. That way no one expected too much, and were willing to except it if I needed to withdraw from festivities. I also really made an effort to be pleasant and greatful for assistance - and I think people liked to do a little bit to help out. Also I was so genuinely pleased to 'visit' I think that made people feel a bit special. If you spread asking for assistance around (even such as asking for a glass of water), you don't become a burden it seems. (Whats the good of being a princess if you can't have lots of happy people waiting on you?)

But in all cases, see how you feel, and take along some good pain meds, even if you've been off them for awhile. I'm not sure what they medical wisdom on alcohol is, but a *little* of the hard stuff (nothing fizzy) sure made me feel like I was getting back to normal life.

All the best,
Andi Mc
Unread 05-29-2002, 06:46 PM
Thanks, girls,..

I think I already knew it was wishful thinking.... Had my head in the clouds.... honestly, I wouldn't have even considered it, except we missed out on getting to go over memorial this weekend due to ballet recital rehearsals...... and when the inlaws got back, I got to hear how wonderful it was and how much more wonderful it will be for the 4th this year... then FIL got to the part where the melt-in-your-mouth prime rib will be on the menu again this year, and I got drooly,.. even though I'm sure I won't be up to eating that sort of thing by then!!
I didn't even bother posting in post-op after searching through the threads on anyone & everyone who is or was at 3 weeks post-op........... you guys were right......... !! Seemed to sound in general that gals felt pretty good weeks 1 & 2, hit the 'wall' week 3, and then felt better again weeks 4 & 5, then back & forth, back & forth, varying among princesses.
There's no way I'm even going to continue to consider this anymore!!!
And the point about not letting people see you up & around too much.......... I don't want to get abandonded on help!! I'm lacking as it is, LOL.
And, I'm a very sensitivie person already, and so I can just invision myself,.. an emotional wreck!! I'd probably just be a HUGE party pooper.......
Thanks for helping me see the light, girls,........ I knew you'd be here to pull me out of the clouds... it was just wishful thinking.
Unread 05-29-2002, 06:52 PM
alcohol?

Thanks, Andi,
You caused me to think of another Q: I've thought of recently,.. when is it okay to have a drink or two (or more, ROFL ) again after the surgery? As soon as you're feeling up to going off the pain meds? This seems silly, but I'm all for a good stiff drink to take the edge off!!
Unread 05-29-2002, 06:57 PM

I think you're on the right track, although it's probably NOT the one you wanted.

No way I could have done this at three weeks. My doctor didn't even want me out of my house for two weeks except for my appts. with him. Your body will have just endured a huge trauma, with hundreds of internal stitches. At around three weeks, the remnents of anesthesia are leaving your system, and the newly healed tissues are starting to take over after the stitches start dissolving.

The fatigue you will feel is probably going to surprise you. The "idea" of relaxing as you've described sounds lovely...but the reality of how exhausted you'll find yourself even doing stuff like taking a shower and getting dressed is a shock. We're all different, of course, but having "been there, done that", I think that you may want to pass this time.

Of course, maybe you could still have the girls "farmed out" for the weekend so you can have some quiet time together, but as for the rest....don't think so!

Hugs!!

Karen
Unread 05-29-2002, 08:26 PM
First outing after Hyst ... a true story

First, I have to say that I had a "bikini cut" incision. My first outing after my hyst was 8 days post-op! One of my nephews had difficulty getting through high school and we were so proud of him that he was going to graduate. My brother and former sister-in-law had a party at the lake (Lake Erie) for him with two of his cousins on his mom's side. The party was held 60 miles east of where I live. My brother drove me there in my car. We arrived with no major problems (with pain that is). While at the party, I alternated from sitting in the party room to sititng outdoors on a picnic table. We were there for about six hours and, by the time I got home, I know what the old folks feel when they say it was glad to get back to The Home. I couldn't wait to hit my bed. I actually slept like a baby that night after being out in the open air. (The party was held in June in Ohio.) I don't know how far you have to travel for your mini vacation (if you go), but for me every bump in the road was felt. The freeway was much better than the regular roads because they are maintained better. I can't imagine driving on a non-paved road. The fresh air would be great, but can you handle a long ride to get there and back??? I also bought a body pillow for post-op because I am a tummy sleeper. I put the pillow with my belly in the middle of it and then did a slight roll toward the pillow. It really works. Just remember not to roll the direction of where you get out of bed to go potty! LOL.
Unread 05-29-2002, 11:52 PM
Re: Alcohol

Hi Tahnee & Andie,

I haven't heard any official word on when it is considered safe to have an alcoholic drink. I would definitely wait until you are completely off pain meds. It would probably be a good idea to as your doctor this at your post op appointment.

I think I waited about 4-5 weeks. I then had just a half a glass of wine and it really hit me. Make sure you are not driving when you decide to have your first drink. It will hit you harder than before surgery. Also, I have heard that alcohol can slow healing but I have no data on that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register