lupron shots to shrink fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

lupron shots to shrink fibroids lupron shots to shrink fibroids

Unread 05-29-2002, 06:01 PM
lupron shots to shrink fibroids

I had a lupron shot 1 week ago. My first in a series of three.
I have had heart palps. since, shortness of breath, and pain.

The gyn doctor told me that I was experiencing these symtoms because of anemia. The blood doctor said no that these symtoms need to be checked out by a cardiologist.

I saw a cardiologist today and he said he feels these symtoms are due from the lupron.

I got a second opinion today from another gyn who said that lupron does this to some people and to take some estrogen to help relieve symtoms.

I would take the estrogen, but I don't want to start bleeding again. I just had an iron infussion on Friday to build up my blood.

Any thoughts on this subject. I know many of you have tried alot of different therapies before you found one that worked.

Also I was on lupron 10 years ago to shrink my fibroids, before they removed my fibroids. No reaction except for a warm feeling.

Any help would be appreciated.

I really don't know where to turn next.
big cry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 07:03 PM

Lupron does a number on you, that's for sure.

I'm a little concerned that your gyn doesn't know that Lupron can cause all these symptoms. Is this the same dr. who prescribed it?? JMHO, but I think perhaps you want to get yourself another opinion from another GYN. Lupron can shrink your fibroids, but I think if you are going to do it and it's going to have this effect, you want a doctor who will recognize and help you. Since estrogen GROWS fibroids, I'm not really clear on why you'd want to be taking both at the same time.

In the meantime, please use our search engine (little purple button at the top right of each page) and search Lupron. You will find MANY threads on it, including side effects and pro's and con's.

I'm sorry you have to go through this junk. Please keep us informed!!

Karen
Unread 05-29-2002, 07:26 PM

Kerswim, You came to the right place!!!!!!!!!I agree with Karen. I too was very anemic. (That made me cry!!!!!!!)Feeling tired all the time is very upsetting. I had my TAH because of reoccurring fibroids. I had them removed 3 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I was offered the option to take Lupron shots. I could not because I suffer from migraines.I am glad you followed up with the cardiologist !Now you can rest well knowing your heart is okay!Well Good luck. Angela BTW....What Part of NJ? Im in Monmouth county
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 07:28 PM
Lupron

Dear Kerswim,

I had a Lupron Depot shot 1 wk ago today. It was for 3 mos. They told me my hormone levels would increase for about 2 wks followed by bleeding and then drop off in hormones. So far all I have had is PMS type symptoms ( sore breasts, bloating, achiness at times, and more emotional/crying easily.

I have not had any SOB or heart palpitations but have read this is sometimes a side effect.

Hope you can get a straight answer from your Doc's. It is so frustrating when they each have a different story.

Goodluck,

Sally
Unread 06-08-2002, 02:21 AM

I had my first Lupron injecion yesterday and I was just curious as to how you are doing now ? My next shot will be July 5th. I am a little nerveous about this. My Dr. told me about the hot falshes that I would have but thats about it. He didn't mention heart stuff. How long before you had your first symtom ?
Unread 06-08-2002, 03:05 PM

I just had my 2nd lupron shot yesterday (to shrink fibroids before surgery). Had the first one a month ago. So far no hot flashes. The only symptom I've had off the "list" is headache...and that may be due to other things...who knows?

Good luck,

--Ann
Unread 06-08-2002, 03:43 PM

Lupron is a funny little drug. It effects everyone differently. Some women are fine with it, some have little side effects and some have serious issues. I got arthritic pain with mine and the SOB and heart palpatations. My gyn told me to see my reg doctor who did a computer search on the drug and found it probally was the lupon. However, keep in mind I have many allergies to meds. Do the search that was suggested. Keep in minhd though, because I did the search myself, there is alot of negative info out there that is scary. You need to search for the good stuff too and then make a decision after you've gathered all the info. If you decide you dont want the Lupron you dont have to take the second shot.
Unread 06-08-2002, 03:55 PM
update on my lupron

I started back with a little estrogen to try to stop the feelings that I had on lupron. That was over a week ago. I am not going to get the second shot. I started to bleed from the first lupron shot, about 2 weeks after the shot. That was this past Thursday.
Friday, I finally got in to see the new gyn/oco. He cancelled his afternoon seminar that he was to be guest speaker to see me.
He put me on birth control pills (2 a day) to stop this bleeding. He said it will take about 48 hours to stop it. I am still bleeding, but it has only been about 24 hours or so. He said he would take my case and scheduled a hysterectomy for me on June 25. My hemogobin went down a 1.5 in a day and I am so tired. I am also very scared about surgery. He said that he will have to do a vertical cut, but my horizontal cut has been entered into three times before. He seems very confident. I just have to get use to this whole thing. I am so nervous.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register