I am new here and am nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am new here and am nervous I am new here and am nervous

Unread 05-29-2002, 10:45 PM
I am new here and am nervous

Hi everyone!

I am new here and I am very nervous about having a hysterectomy. I am 35 years old but I just cant take it anymore. I dont know how I will make it until the 19th of June!

For the last nearly 8 years, it has been constant bleeding. When I told my obgyn about it, he acted as if it was no big deal. So, not wanting ever to hear that anything needs to be done or is wrong, I went along with the answer that it was a "woman thing" and that "I should try to get over it."

I was told also that I should, "get up and move around more so I dont just sit around all day." Trust me when I say homeschooling is not sitting around all day! I wish it were!

I did complain a few more times, despite the fact that I didnt like what I was being told or HOW. I did get some pills once that stopped the bleeding for a week, but as soon as the pills were gone, it was back and seemed like worse than ever. I was told then by the dr that I cant have everything! He said, "you wanted me to stop it for a week and I did. Now you have to live with that. Make up your mind."

Well, I stopped complaining to the dr. My husband wasnt so lucky.

Several years later, after dealing with the deaths of 3 friends and one relative within a 3 month time frame, my mothers cancer and then being the primary care giver for both parents who are elderly, I suffered a nervous breakdown. Same dr tells me that I just need to put my priorities straight and decide what I want.
Needless to say, I didnt get better, I got worse. It got really bad for me and I ended up in the ER. From there I was referred to a wonderful, caring dr who has helped me thru a terrible ordeal.

After I realized that he and his nurse care very much, I told them about the problems I have thru my entire body.

After many tests, it turns out that I have several cysts, nodules and lesions thru out my thyroid which also causes the hormone levels to go off and I am hyperthyroid. So, I am too thin as well.

they did a radioactive iodine something uptake something test and it showed all that along with an ultra sound of my thyroid.

Then I had a pelvic ultra sound and a transvaginal ultra sound which showed the cysts that I have on my ovaries, etc.

I also have thickening of the endometrial something. Not sure of all the words they use. But anyway, my best option is the hysterectomy.

I am hoping that this will help with a lot of things that have gone wrong medically and am looking forward to an end in this but still, I am nervous about the whole thing.

My husband is very supportive and says all the right things. I am just scared I guess.
I also dont know about HRT. We have a long line of Breast Cancer in my family and my mother insists that hers was from HRT. She no longer takes HRT and is having terrible hot flashes and sweats alot.

I am so confused about all of that. Thank you for letting me vent all this. Sorry my post is so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 12:12 AM
Hi Haylie

Welcome to Hystersisters.

I am sorry you have gone through so much for so long. It is very unfortunate when our symptoms are not taken seriously enough.
I am delighted you have finally found a caring doctor and can take the necessary steps to feeling better.

I know this can all seem very overwhelming when you are first faced with surgery, recovery issues, HRT etc. Just take it all one step at a time. You have come to the right place for understanding, information and support.

Please keep reading here as much as possible. Visit the Home Page and read through all of the pull down menu's. Especially the one's for Ladies in Waiting. Here is a link to the Pre-Op appointment questions that you might want to take with you the next time you see your doctor.
https://www.hystersisters.com/questions.php
Take someone with you on the appointment to help take it in and write it down. It is hard to do by yourself.

Ask your doctor about HRT. You will need to work closely with him to decide what is safe for you to take. You can visit the Hormone Jungle and the No Hormone Desert Oasis on this site to get support for which ever way you go in the hormone department.

Let us know how else we can help. You are not alone.

Unread 05-30-2002, 12:40 AM
haleyscomet

welcome. yes there is hope on the other side. it is perfectly normal to be scared, nervous and confused before surgery. it hits especially hard after you get a date. you'll make it though. you've already proven what a strong charachter you have. i would be tempted to send the results of those tests back to the first dr. maybe he might learn something. not a suggestion, just something i would probably do. good to hear you finally got a good dr. i bet it's a relief knowing what's wrong finally. definitly visit the hormone jungle--it is a wealth of information. there have been breakthroughs in hormone replacement therapy. it's not so bad any more. find out what hrt your mother was actually on. there a re several options besides the synthetics out there. the patch comes in a natural estrogen and some pills do, too. i've also come across creams/lotions with natural hormones in them. any health food store or homeopathic store should have a good selection. me, i'm using a low dosage patch with an over the counter progesterone cream. seems to be balancing things out quite well. after doing a lot of research this is the route i've opted to take. i encourage you to talk with your dr. and find out what hrt he is thinking about putting you on. then research it. even go to the manufacturers web sites. hopefully your dr will give you several choices. good luck and remember life will be better after this surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 03:21 AM

Dear hayliescomet,
Oh My you must be a strong woman. You have already proven that you can handle quite a lot. I am glad you have finally found a better doctor.

I agree with the suggestions provided above by the other sisters. Do your research about the HRT and I'm sure you will come to the right decision. I am currently on an estrogen patch, because both my ovaries were removed. So far this treatment has gone well, but I am only 5 weeks post op, so my body and I are still working through things.

I am so glad you have a supportive husband. Also, like mentioned above, use this website to it's fullest. The women who support this site are fantastic and you will get answers to any question you have, because amongst all the users, here, someone has probably gone through something exactly the same or very similar.

Keep us posted and welcome to this site. You will make it through June and through the surgery and your life will be so much better afterwards. I am sending you many, many (((((HUGS))))). Keep us posted on your status.
Unread 05-30-2002, 04:18 AM

Hiya Halie

(My niece is a Hayley - it's such a pretty name!)

It's so natural, and expected, to be frightened or nervous about your surgery...this is a HUGE experience for you, and you deserve to know as much as you can possibly learn about the procedure. There are times when I really want to be looking *inside* when the doc goes in, just so I can see what he's doing!

Knowledge can really help alleviate stress (although I doubt it can totally rid us of nerves!), and I managed to do that by reading, reading, reading *everything* I could on hysterectomies and alternatives. There are some awesome resources on the Net, and literally hundreds of books written about the subject.

I'm sorry you had such a lousy time with the medical folk - sometimes it's hard for them to really comprehend the pain, discomfort and general misery that accompanies so many women. But I'm sure yours in particular should have tried a bit harder! Anyway - the good thing is, it's all going to be fixed...no more pain and bleeding for you

Keep smiling, and check in often - the Princesses and Ladies here are just amazing!

Unread 05-30-2002, 06:43 AM

Congrats om finding the new doc.....I know how it feels... was 13 the first time I mention any pain to my dr( at the time) he said your female its normal..by age 17 i demanded something stronger than midol....It didnt work..after 2 kids and extreme pain,being told i need prozac and so I on..I left and found my wonderful drs...Unlike most I a asked for a hyst. I am 25 so they dont like to give you one but my dr saw that I was in pain all the time (2 vicodin every 4-6hrs for pain) so he said Ok enough and yelled at the insurance for me...just a few more weeks it will be all over....
There are lots of wonderful and patient women on here, no question should go un answered..so just ask they will help or support if they can.....best wishes and good luck!!!!
*hugs*
Hail
Unread 05-30-2002, 07:29 AM

Hi Hayley:
Please believe me when I tell you that the surgery wasn't bad at all. I postponed mine for 1 year due to fear. I had my surgery on 5-14 and feel great. If you are worried about pain, as I was, don't. My pain level never went passed a 3. I wouldn't lie to you. The worst part of the surgery to me was the packing. It just gave abdominal pressure that got a little annoying after awhile. No pain just pressure. After that was removed, I felt pretty good. what type of hyster are you getting? Abdominal or vaginal? Mine was vaginal with bladder repair. I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. You have been through so much already. This will just be one more hurdle out of the way. I will pray for you that God gives you the strength, as He has done in the past, to go through this surgery. Always remember, this website is a blessing. It helped me so very much. The sisters here are very caring.
Regina
Unread 05-30-2002, 07:52 AM

Hi Haley,

I just wanted to tell you welcome. I am new here too. I have discovered the women on this site are awesome and so very helpful. I am sorry for all you have been through with doctors and medical people. Sometime they just don't get it, and brush us off. I am glad that you now have a good doctor. I agree with what everyone has said. This site is full of information. Also see about reading the books they suggest. The best thing you can do is inform yourself. Hey, you and I have a few things in common. We are both 35, we both homeschool, and our surgery's are on the same date. I thought that was a little neat.
I wish you luck and good health to come your way after your surgery.

Hugs,
Marci
Unread 05-30-2002, 08:38 AM

Thank You EVERYONE!

I appreciate all the support that you ladies gave me! You are all so wonderful! Thank YOU!

mousie, that is neat that our surgeries are on the same day and that we have so many other things in common! Through all of this whole ordeal I thought I was alone, then I find this web site and all the wonderful ladies here and someone with the exact same age etc haveing same date as I am! Wow! I really am not alone!

my sugery is a vag. hyst and they will be removing both ovaries. I feel better after having read the many posts about this. Before the date was set, I was not as nervous. Its when they gave me the date that the fears etc set in. Its like there is a ticking clock now and the count down has begun.

I will pray for all the ladies here on this website that all goes well and gets better for you! Thank you again for all the support! You are all so WONDERFUL!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register