catheter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-30-2002, 02:04 PM
catheter

Hello again!

I am soooooooooo NERVOUS about my upcoming surgery in 12 days (but who is counting!) I wanted to find out if everyone has a catheter (sp?) when they come out of surgery? If so what is it for ? can you not pee on your own? I also think that I am nervous about everything that is going to happen to me when I wake up, what to expect ya know!
I will have a general "a" and a spinal to help with the pain.
All of this makes me nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It makes me want to start :smokin: again!
Something to calm my nerves.

I really LOVE THIS SITE I come here several time a day!

:run3:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 02:09 PM
catheter

The first time I had surgery, I was really freaked by the idea of a catheter. (ew). But I quickly came to the conclusion that the catheter is our friend!!

It's put in AFTER you are asleep, so don't even worry about that. When you wake up it will be in place. Most people aren't even aware that it's there, except that you can feel the little hose against your leg. No big deal, truly. And the good part is, you don't have to try to get up or navigate a bedpan that first day/night. Believe me, this is a GOOD THING! It's usually removed the next day, and you don't really feel any discomfort...more like a funny tug, and its out. Again, no biggie. If you have bladder work done, it may stay a little longer.

Usually the nurses will monitor your urinary output the first few days to make sure your bladder wakes up and everything is functioning properly. Sometimes anesthesia and handling can make the bladder stop working for a while.

Please don't worry about the catheter...it's in and gone before you know it.

Karen
Unread 05-30-2002, 03:38 PM
Hi Rhody,

I agree with Karen. The catheter was no big deal - at all! As a matter of fact, the first day I was glad it was there so I didn't have to get up to go to the bathroom. I almost wished they'd left it in the second day because trying to navigate to the bathroom with the IV was miserable.

Like Karen said, the catheter is inserted after you are asleep, so you wake up with it there. The nurse explained to me that I might feel like I had to go to the bathroom at first, but that feeling would pass. I remember the first thing when I woke up in recovery was feeling that I needed to use the bathroom. But I was aware enough to know that I really didn't. That feeling soon passed, and I forgot that it was even there. I was so sleepy, I couldn't stay awake anyway for two days, so I never even noticed it. And it didn't hurt when the nurse took it out. Just a slight tug and it was gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 04:48 PM
Catheter

Hi Rhody....Oh the joys of the catheter! I'm 2 weeks post op and came out with a catheter in. I had 2 previous C-sections and should have known to expect it but didn't. Keeping your bladder empty gives the doctors more room to work plus you can't immediately get up out of bed to go the bathroom so it's really a plus in the first few hours after surgery. My surgery was a little more complex than a "standard" TAH w/BSO and lasted about 4 hours. My surgery began at 7:30 AM and they took the cath out about 7 AM the next morning. It was really hard to pee at first and felt like a bladder infection. Had to go really bad but couldn't. But I just sat there with the water running, pictured waterfalls and chanted "relax, pee, relax, pee" and eventually did. It took about 24 - 36 hours (sorry) for me to feel like I could pee normally with no pain/urgency. But then I was fine. They won't put it in until you are under and it's really not painful when they take it out. You should do just fine! Good luck!

Teresa

TAH w/ BSO-no left kidney, ovary or fallopian tube; 5 in unknown pelvic mass; 1/2 utuerus and 1/2 bladder
Unread 05-30-2002, 05:01 PM
catheter

I have to agree with everybody else. I felt like the catheter was my friend. Thank God I didn't have to worry about getting up to go to the bathroom that first day. You won't even know it's there. I was also lucky in that I had no trouble peeing after it was taken out. Just a slight pause at first then it was fine. I also had general and a spinal. Your post op pain will be controlled. Just ask for more if it's not working. I just had my TAH 5/22 and I am amazed how well I am doing. I am 48 and not in the greatest shape. You will do fine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register