Rectocele | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-30-2002, 05:35 PM
Rectocele

I've notice a few sister have this at the bottom of their signature.
I know this is a yukky question and I'll try not to be tooooo graphic but when I use my bowels and its been a while since I use them it bulges into my vagina. I have to hold my self (vagina) to use my bowels. This isnt normal is it? Should I tell my doctor?
I looked it up in a nurses dictionary but im not sure if this is what I have?

Sorry if some of you are eating, not the nicest subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 06:53 PM
Rectocele

Oh honey, YES you should tell your doctor!!!!!!!

This is definitely not the way your body should be working, and it is correctable! PLEASE address this immediately!!! You can do a search on rectocele using our search engine...(little purple button on the top right of each page).

It doesn't matter what the correct name for something is...you just describe what's happening to your doctor and let him/her tell YOU. That's what we pay them for.

PLEASE don't hesitate to discuss any and all symptoms and problems openly with your doctor. And let us know what happens.

Karen
Unread 05-31-2002, 03:59 AM
Rectocele

Dear Chelle,

I know exactly what you are talking about, and want to reassure you that it can be fixed. Please call your doctor and tell him about it. I had the same problem, and was embarrassed to mention it for several months - when I finally did, I was having to do the same thing as you.

In my case, I also had a cystocele (prolapse of the bladder) and both of them were fixed at the same time as I had my hyst.

You might also want to take a look at this web site that describes the various types of prolapses ( a rectocele is a prolapse of your bowel):

http://pages.prodigy.com/prolapse.html/define.htm

Please let me know what you find out from your doctor.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2002, 07:23 AM
Rectocele

(((Chelle)))) Do I even understand: I had the same condition, except mine would bulge into my vagina when I stood, when I sat, when I strained.... It was quite embarassing and quite uncomfortable.

Chelle, do mention it to your doctor. It's called a "Rectocele", the medical term for rectal prolapse and it can be fixed: mine was fixed at the same time as my hyst.

Not mentionning it and not doing anything about it can result in complications, one of them being an increased tendency for UTI's. The prolapse also resulted in:

constipation and/or diarrhea
back pain
posture problems

Sending healing s your way: It will get better.
Unread 05-31-2002, 09:53 AM
Rectocele

As the other ladies have stated it can be fixed!
I am 16 days post and had mine done with my hyst!
Also had the cystocele(bladder)
I had all 3 done in one shot --and let me tell you I feel so much better already --no more pressure
Good luck!
Unread 05-31-2002, 10:12 AM
Rectocele

Hi Chelle,

I have the same symptom and will have it corrected as part of my surgery on June 7th.

With me, the situation developed so slowly -- and I was so focused on the copious leaking on the other side of business -- that I didn't mention it to my doctor. Luckily she asked. Took me a minute to realize that yes, I often had to "assist" and that it hadn't always been that way. Amazing what we get used to, isn't it?!

Best,

Linda
Unread 06-05-2002, 04:31 AM
Cyctocele and rectocele

Hi
Apparently I have both but because Im having a TAH he can only fix the Cyctocele at this time because its done through the same incision. Doing a Burch procedure. Having the Rectocele done at the same time can cause cross infection so I have to wait 6 months before he can fix that one. :hair:

Better late than never eh....
Cant wait to have it all fixed, but then again Im wetting my pants thinking about the surgery.
Not long now ( 24th June)
Unread 06-05-2002, 06:36 AM
Rectocele

Oh dear sorry it cant be done together!
I had my hyst vaginally so all were easy to get at and fix!
Hope all goes well dear!
Just keep a positvie attitude and you will be fine.
When they do the rectocele --it wont be that bad honeslty!
May be a bit sore to sit but dont last about a week or so!
's to you!
Unread 06-05-2002, 08:46 AM
rectocele

Hi,

I thought I had a large rectocele before my surgery and docs always said, "No, it's quite small." I realized after my surgery that my prolapsed uterus was the big culprit. It pushed so much on things that my anus was out of position! LOL! I'm much better now after the surgery. I too asked the doc to repair it during surgery and he wouldn't because of abdominal incision. Too risky.
Unread 06-05-2002, 07:30 PM
Rectocele

(((Chelle)))

I am no expert here, having neither of the conditions you have, but you know one of my girlfriends suffered the same way. Baby #1 wrecked her rectum and baby #2 did in her urinary tract. She had her whole situation corrected in one procedure -- her doc said he wouldn't want to use general twice. This may be a case where a second opinion is in order.

I know there are docs (gyns of some sort) who do something called "urigenital reconstruction" - I know my gyn oncologist does some of that. And they apparently do these two things together all the time. MY girlfriend had to go to a different doc to get herself "repaired" down below (she wasn't having a hyst), but she is forever grateful that she had the problem corrected. She cried a bit :bigcry" 'cause it is all sooo embarrasing, but she did pretty well after the procedure.

I'm sending a big and your way hoping that both problems can be fixed together.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register