Rectocele - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-05-2002, 09:21 PM
Rectocele

Hi Chelle, I agree with the other sisters that you might want to get a second opinion. I had both a cystocele and rectocele too, and had them both fixed with my TVH/BSO in February. It's so great not to have everything "falling out" all the time! Surely there must be a way to have it all taken care of at one time so you don't have to go through two recovery periods? Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2002, 09:35 PM
TAH versus TVH

Apparently if you have a TVH you can have both the cyctocele and rectocele done at the same time.

But not if you are having a TAH because its an abdominal incision the cyctocele can be done cause its done using the same incision. But the rectocele can cause cross infection from the bowel, vaginal area,

I have to have the TAH because I have endo and adhesions plus a very large uterus. (bummer eh) So I guess I'll just have to wait the 6 months
Unread 06-06-2002, 04:03 AM
rectocele

Hi girls
I too was told I have a rectocele which will have to be repaired at a later date as I had a TAH and it couldn't be repaired at the same time. I'm feeling terrific now after my TAH and was told to give myself the rest of this year to recover and schedule my repair for next year. I'm just wondering if you girls that have had the repair does it really stop the "splinting"(having to pushon the perineum" to have a bowel movement? and are you really able to "poo" properly. Like someone previously mentioned it is amazing what you get used to doing and forget what "normal" is. Should I go through surgery again? will it make as much difference to that part of my life as the TAH has made to me now.
Thanks all for being here.
Jojo
PS just thought I'd mention that the rectocele thingy seems to have been brought about by 4 natural births, 1 11lb 3oz baby, 1 11lb baby,1 8 lb baby and twins 6lb 9oz and 7lb 5 oz - all quick labours no longer than 3 hours. Our bodies just aren't meant to cope with these things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2002, 08:46 AM
Rectocele

I would certainly get a second opinion on this issue: I "only" had a rectocele, but was originally scheduled for a TAH. My doctor was going to do the hyst abdominally, because of the large fibroid is was bearing, but was going to repair the rectocele vaginally.

As it turned out, at the very last minute, he decided to attempt the hyst vaginally, to spare me the pain of an abdominal incision and an episiotomy-type incision. He never mentionned the risk of a cross-infection.

Just a thought: this might be a good opportunity to investigate the possibility of a TVH instead of the more invasive TAH
Unread 06-06-2002, 09:44 AM
Rectocele

Hi Jojo, YES, I can't speak for others but for myself, I no longer have to do the "splinting" thing. It's great to be able to use the bathroom normally again!
s,
-Linda
Unread 06-06-2002, 07:21 PM
Rectocele

Hi Chelle,

I had my rectocele and cystocele repairs done at the same time, but I had a vaginal hyst, and so there wasn't any discussion of cross-contamination. In your post further up in this thread, you state that you must have the TAH becasue of the size of your uterus.

Have you thought about asking for a second opinion? You have still got 2 1/2 weeks until your surgery date and asking another doctor to review your choices might reassure you.

Please let us know what you decide.

's

Karen
Unread 06-06-2002, 08:31 PM
rectocele

I too am scheduled for hyst,rectocele, and cystocele surgery july 2 my gyn plans on a tah. he mentioned nothing about cross contamination.Can anyone who has had rectocele surgery tell me how its done and how it feels?Will my recovery and surgery be longer? I will have 3 drs in surgery.also can anyone recommend any good books? I am not a tv person and i like suspense novels but not gory ones but a little trashy ...just a little
Unread 06-07-2002, 06:07 PM
Rectocele

((() Boothe))))

I had a rectocele and a cystocele repair done at the same time as my hyst. I'm going to give you a link to a doctor's site that explains (complete with pictures of actual surgery) exactly how each procedure is done.

Please keep in mind that these are actual surgical photos and are not for the squeamish.

http://pelvicfloor.com/library/

All of the excess tissue that is prolapsing into your vagina will be removed and the vaginal wall will be stitched back up. The cut is like a large episiotomy and when you sit, there will be alot of pressure on that area that will be uncomfortable. I would advise you to get a donut pillow to sit on, expecially for the car ride home. I didn't have one until 2 days after my surgery, and wished that I had had it earlier.

Please ask your doctor what he wants you to use to ease the discomfort that you will feel in that area. I bought some Tucks, which have witch hazel in them and used them to numb that area when needed. He may recommend a Peri bottle, or may prescribe some numbing spray.

I wish you the very best for your surgery. Oh, I forgot about your book request - you probably won't feel much like reading for a few days - I found it almost impossible to concentrate for several days.

's

Karen
Unread 06-07-2002, 07:43 PM
Rectocele

I would like to chicken out of all of this. But how quickly I was reminded how I need it done when me and hubby had sex and if felt like he was pushing my insides up...way up, not fun. Will this get better after hyst cystocele and rectocele repair? Also wont I feel stretched out..sorry but I wonder cause its loose enough after 3 babies dont want it to get worse. Can dr tighten things up? Sorry if I spoke to graphic.
Unread 06-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Rectocele

Don't worry, you're not being too graphic. And yes, it will be better, lots better! I am like new inside. Amazing!
s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register