I really need some feedback (sorry...really long) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I really need some feedback (sorry...really long) I really need some feedback (sorry...really long)

Unread 06-02-2002, 03:42 PM
I really need some feedback (sorry...really long)

Thank you all for your support. As an update, I HAVE talked to my therapist about this, and will continue to do so. I talked to my psychiatrist about adjusting medication and started that a few days ago. I think it will help. I have other medication that I can adjust as I see fit. I have wonderful mental health care and am trusted to know my needs without meeting with resistance. I've dealt with this a long time, and that is respected. I didn't mention it before, but one of the issues in all of this is that my psychiatrist is leaving a month after my surgery. He was the replacement for the last one I saw and she was the best. In all the years I have taken medication, I finally felt like I was listened to, and as a result not "drugged" feeling. So off to a new shrink. :confuse:

I see the new guy before my current one leaves, so they have time to consult if necessary. I'm an easy patient. I don't mess around and I know what I take and why. I don't have the same kind of personal relationship with my current doctor that I had with his female predecessor, but I do very much feel like I am a partner in all of the decision making. I'm scared to death a new doc will not be like that. I've had some really bad ones in the past.

I am actually a licensed therapist in Illinois, although I quit practicing to go into teaching. My current and former doctor viewed that as an asset instead of feeling threatened by it. I hope the new one does, too. The psychiatric care in the community is AWFUL. I chose the doctor that I've heard the fewest negative things about. Sad. The other problem is that having worked in social services for all those years, I worked with most of the doctors and it makes seeing many of them unethical.

I'm sorry to go on and on , but I feel so burdened by all these things. It's just one more thing. And I'll have to start paying out of pocket instead of my insurance being billed. My therapist just got back from a few weeks in Romania, and my roommate is leaving next week for a conference in New Mexico, and I have so much to do. My sister said she'd help, and then I found out she's gone next weekend, too. (My surgery is June 12th) Sometimes it makes when want to laugh, though, because it all sounds like some really bad Seinfeld episode.

The hospital actually has a hysterectomy pre-op class that I will attend with my roommate on Wednesday morning. I'm looking forward to it. I hope it's a good one. I am going to ask them about the ob floor. I know it won't be an issue with my gyn. He's really great, too. It's more what the hospital's practice is. I think my doc will back me up, though.

Right now, I don't really feel much better, but I do feel like I'm doing the right things to get there. It's just as always-- a matter of time. It isn't that I've lost hope. I've lost strength to battle one more thing. But I am... Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2002, 08:55 PM
I wish you well

Hi! I too have Multiple Sclerosis and have dealt with varying degrees of depression and all the known/unknown feelings associated with MS. I am glad that you have talked with your therapist and I hope that you will be able to relate to your new one. I wondered - are you on Betaseron? A potential side effect from Betaseron therapy is thoughts of suicide, depression, etc. I started on Betaseron therapy this year and still haven't gotten the side effects under control! I will be thinking of you on June 12 and hope all goes well. My SAH is scheduled for June 20. Keep us posted on you!
Unread 06-02-2002, 09:10 PM
I really need some feedback (sorry...really long)

Copaxone. It works great, too. My psychiatrist was adamant that I tell the neurologist that I could not use Betaseron with my history of depression. Like I said, I have great mental health care... A psychiatrist who keeps up to date with this stuff??? All of my many docs are so responsible about my medication. Even my therapist stays on top of what I'm taking. I'm really fortunate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2002, 09:13 PM
Preop class

Elizabeth:

How did the preop class go today? I have a preop appt scheduled at my doc's office on Friday. I'm so ready to get this all out of the way and move on my way to recovery. I went shopping today for short robe, comfy pjs and big "mamma" undies - I guess my thongs will have to wait.

Except for this heavy, yucky "I feel sorry for myself - why doesn't anybody else" feeling, I'm doing okay. My mother-in-law lives in the same town with me. My husband told her of my surgery 10 days ago and I just got an EMAIL (not a phonecall) asking when my surgery is scheduled. I told her everything would be taken care of and not to worry, unless my husband calls and asks for help. Personally, I'd rather she not be hanging around. I'm looking forward to some good movies, books and lots of sleep.

Take care -

Amy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register