daVinci robotic hysterectomy: What should I expect? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

daVinci robotic hysterectomy:  What should I expect? daVinci robotic hysterectomy: What should I expect?

Unread 03-04-2016, 11:52 AM
daVinci robotic hysterectomy: What should I expect?

Hi, Scheduled for Divinci Robotic on the 29th of March and have a few questions/concerns I am hoping someone who has had a similar experience can answer. Thanks in advancenew:

Robotic Surgery removing everything but ovaries including filopean tubes.

1) The Dr told I should be able to go back to work in two weeks. The nurse said the guideline is 2-6 weeks and I should plan for 3-4 weeks off. For me there is a big difference in being off 2 vs 4 I will be without pay so 4 will take more budgeting. Hoping to hear how long it took others to recover from this type surgery.

2) I am having the surgery for heavy abnormal bleeding and clots with lots of pain in pelvic area and back, the Dr. thinks some of the pain may be from my cervix being so flipped,exams and sometimes sex are very painful and followed by a lot of bleeding.I also have PMDD. Will the horrible feelings go away with the bleeding? and will all the pain be gone if I keep my Ovaries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2016, 12:25 PM
Re: Divinci Robotic What should I expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptontara View Post
Hi, Scheduled for Divinci Robotic on the 29th of March and have a few questions/concerns I am hoping someone who has had a similar experience can answer. Thanks in advancenew:

1) The Dr told I should be able to go back to work in two weeks. The nurse said the guideline is 2-6 weeks and I should plan for 3-4 weeks off. For me there is a big difference in being off 2 vs 4 I will be without pay so 4 will take more budgeting. Hoping to hear how long it took others to recover from this type surgery.

2) I am having the surgery for heavy abnormal bleeding and clots with lots of pain in pelvic area and back, the Dr. thinks some of the pain may be from my cervix being so flipped,exams and sometimes sex are very painful and followed by a lot of bleeding.I also have PMDD. Will the horrible feelings go away with the bleeding? and will all the pain be gone if I keep my Ovaries?
Hi Hamptotara! Welcome!

I haven't had my hysterectomy yet, but I will having the same procedure as you on the 14th of March. I don't know how much time you will really need off work, and I am pretty certain it changes from person to person, depending on how we heal, but my Oncologist has recommended that I take 6 weeks off, and I am following her recommendation. Unlike you, I can collect disability so it won't be as much as a financial hardship for me.

That being said, I think a lot of it has to do with what kind of job you have and what you will be doing at that job. Sitting at a desk might be okay. Lifting and moving things...probably not as okay, as you will most likely have weight lifting restrictions for several weeks.

I think either way you will need to listen to your body and do what you feel you can. Maybe go back part time if needed at first. I am sending you lots of positive vibes and I hope you can get back to work with no issues.
Unread 03-04-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisKat View Post
Hi Hamptotara! Welcome!

I haven't had my hysterectomy yet, but I will having the same procedure as you on the 14th of March. I don't know how much time you will really need off work, and I am pretty certain it changes from person to person, depending on how we heal, but my Oncologist has recommended that I take 6 weeks off, and I am following her recommendation. Unlike you, I can collect disability so it won't be as much as a financial hardship for me.

That being said, I think a lot of it has to do with what kind of job you have and what you will be doing at that job. Sitting at a desk might be okay. Lifting and moving things...probably not as okay, as you will most likely have weight lifting restrictions for several weeks.

I think either way you will need to listen to your body and do what you feel you can. Maybe go back part time if needed at first. I am sending you lots of positive vibes and I hope you can get back to work with no issues.
Thank You! I hope yours goes well on the 14th! They just called and set my pre-op up for the 11th so I am making myself of list of questions to remember to ask.

I couldn't think of questions the day I had my Sonohystogram and we discussed my options. I had just lost my Aunt and was to emotional to think! He gave me basic info and options and told me i could call back with a decision. I feel like this is the right one but its still stressful!

Best of luck to you and hoping you have a speedy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Hi! I had the davinci surgery 12 weeks ago and they took everything including a large fibroid out except my ovaries.
1. Everybody heals differently and I was in the slower category. I have a very physically demanding job lifting patients at a hospital and was scheduled to be off 6 weeks. At 6 weeks, there was NO way I could've returned to work and I was extended to 8 weeks off. Then I worked 2-3 half days the next two weeks. I was back to my old schedule at the 10th week. However, there were ladies who went back after a couple weeks and managed. I was very fortunate to still be paid while off. Although I did burn thru a lot of vacation time the last few weeks.
2. I also had horrific heavy bleeding periods followed by weeks of spotting and cramps that would make me pass out at times. All of that is gone! Despite keeping my ovaries. However, something I did not expect was to have "sleepy ovary" syndrome where my ovaries weren't doing their job... I went into surgical menopause like symptoms with uncontrolled crying, migraines, hot flashes and night sweats. I had to be started on a low dose estrogen patch that I'm still wearing.... It made every symptom go away. I'm supposed to wear the patch for 2-3 months until my ovaries recover. Some women also experience PMS symptoms without the bleeding during their monthly cycle when you ovulate, but every woman is different.
Good luck to you with everything. I'd plan to be off work longer and then you can always go back sooner if you are feeling great!
Unread 03-04-2016, 03:04 PM

Thank you for your post Kelly G, Iwork in a small office doing HR and Accounting so physically its not bad (other than the 2 flights of stairs I have to go up everyday) but it is mentally stressful.
I just want to make sure i give myself plenty of time to heal but I know my boss needs me back as soon as i can come back.

Sorry to hear about the "sleepy Ovary" syndrome, I had read that could happen somewhere but hoped it was rare! Hope it is back to normal for you soon!
Unread 03-04-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:

I went back to work 2.5 weeks after divinchi hysterectomy. I am a nurse. I am not going to lie, it wasn't easy. I work with awesome coworkers that helped out. If I had it to do over, I would wait 4 weeks at least.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register