Re: Talking to anesthesiologist?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Re: Talking to anesthesiologist?? Re: Talking to anesthesiologist??

Unread 05-30-2002, 10:22 PM
Re: Talking to anesthesiologist??

I haven't got my date yet but the doc is in the process of setting one up. I sing and have been told to request a smaller tube put down my throat during surgery. They said to talk to the anesthesiologist. When do I talk to him? How do I know who he is? Does my gyn have the answers to this?

Thanks,
Didi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 10:28 PM

Hi, Didi,

In my case, the only opportunity I had to talk with my anesthesiologist was in the preop holding area, before my surgery. My doctor didn't know which staff anesthesiologist would be assigned to my case until then.

I felt that I had plenty of time to ask questions and receive information. Nobody tried to hurry me.

I had assumed that my surgery would be done under general anesthesia. When I told the anesthesiologist about the problems I'd had with general anesthesia in the past, he suggested a different game plan. I ended up having my surgery under spinal anesthesia with sedation, which worked out extremely well for me.

I'd suggest that you call your doctor's office to ask how to contact your anesthesiologist. It may be that you won't meet the anesthesiologist until you're in the hospital. Write down all of your questions, and take them with you, so you'll be sure to get all of the information you need.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 05-31-2002, 05:51 AM

My contact with anest. was same as Helen's...right before surgery...BUT I did have a list of questions for him. He was great.

I was supposed to be able to talk with one at my pre-op appt...at the hospital..but they were all busy...and it probably wouldn't of really mattered because I wouldn't of known which one I was going to have until the day of surgery.

Even if you talk to anest. before day of surgery...still take questions with you just in case you have a different anest. Let the nurse assigned to you in holding area know that you want to speak directly with your anest. She'll get him/her in there for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2002, 05:40 PM

I met with an anesthesiologist at my pre-op, but there are 30 in that particular practice, and you never know until surgery who you're going to get. After my pre-op, I decided I would prefer a spinal, so I tried calling the day before my surgery to get it changed. My doctor's office also tried getting in touch with them the day before but no luck. They put a note on my chart at the hospital that I wanted to see the anesthesiologist before surgery, and so that was arranged. Actually AN anesthesiologist spoke with me and agreed to the spinal, but yet a third A-guy was waiting for me when I got to the OR. I was given versed (a "happy" shot) and it calmed me so much that I was able to snooze during most of the surgery. One of the main reasons I wanted the spinal was to avoid the tube down the throat altogether, but I think it also helped considerably with pain management.
Unread 06-01-2002, 06:34 PM

I had my TAH on May 6. Met with the anesthesiologist in pre-op, the morning of the surgery. The doctor had already explained about the anesthetic options and recommended the spinal (epidural) with sedation; the anesthesiologist also recommended it. But he explained everything, and he had papers for me to sign.

I had never had surgery (except for a couple of "day surgeries") and was apprehensive about the anesthetic. The epidural was great - the sedative was given through the IV, and I was out before they finished giving the epidural. I was awake half an hour after the surgery was finished. The anesthetic they used provided pain control for the first 24 hours.
Unread 06-01-2002, 06:59 PM

My gyn was able to give me the name of the anesthesiologist that would be with me and I called him and talked to him before hand.

You can even request that you have someone in particular, as long as their schedule suits, it can be worked out-start calling Monday. The anesthesiologist is YOUR LIFELINE during surgery and should not be taken lightly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register