pre-op done now what? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-op done now what? pre-op done now what?

Unread 05-31-2002, 05:55 AM
pre-op done now what?

Went to the doc yesterday and got the green light for the TVH on
June 4th. Now I just have to fill the time and not go bonkers. I don't want to borrow trouble but he said no bowel prep, answered all the questions on my list [he did ask where I got them and I was so proud to tell him about this web site]. He reminded me this is surgery and to follow his instructions but not worry about things. He thinks I may go home the next day if all goes well but I am having trouble with this part. I am a BIG woman and I can't imagine major surgery being a one night stay in the castle. Anyone else been in similar circumstances? Suggestions to make it work? I prefer my own cottage to the castle but I am willing to do whatever it takes for a successful outcome.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2002, 06:29 AM
pre-op done now what?

Hi there!

I can relate to this waiting part! *sigh*

Have you gotten your cottage ready for your return? You might find it helpful to set up your room (where you will be doing most of your resting/princess pampering) so that you will have everything you need at arm's distance.

Have you stocked your fridge/freezer with foods you think you will want while recovering and not feeling much like cooking anything elaborate?

Have you packed for the castle? You probably won't need very much, just personal care items. (you can peruse the pull-down menus from the home page to get some great 'what to bring' ideas)

Have you paced the floor 100 times?

Sure, it's possible for you to be discharged from the castle the next day; I read about that often. They may keep you longer if your temperature needs monitoring or other monitoring type reasons, and it's not uncommon.

Try to relax, sweetie! I know how you are feeling! I've been there!

s,
Unread 05-31-2002, 07:43 AM
Can you say wait??

Isn't that just the hardest part? (or so you think pre-op) I appreciated your comment about being a "BIG" woman. I am about 50 lbs overweight and was concerned about being able to get around without too much trouble. I did fine but did get tired of lifting this big old body off the bed! It makes a good case for trying to lose weight! I had an abdom hyst as opposed to TVH so am not sure what the difference will be in recovery. I think you've already gotten the best suggestion....spend this time preparing your cottage for your return. Have your bedside ready and waiting and especially have plenty in the fridge. You could also go and buy those thank you cards for all the flowers and well wishes you're going to be receiving! Coming home is the best part but don't push it. If you are not comfortable leaving the Castle, let your doctor know.
Good luck and God bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2002, 09:15 AM
same day surgery

Dear Redsonya,

We are having our surgeries on the same day. Good luck to you, sister!!!

I, to am going bonkers waiting, but every sister on this site and in the district where I work has reassured me this is normal and what a wonderful relief it will be when it's finally over!!!!

I've been told I'll feel 300% better!!!! (and you will, too!!!)

Just think, your hystersister, giggles, is there at the same time, in Idaho!!

LOL,

Giggles (Suzi)
Unread 05-31-2002, 02:26 PM
pre-op now what

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am going to a dog show this weekend and that will keep me busy on Saturday and part of Sunday. My DH has agreed to drive me since my hemoglobin is low and I don't want to make the trip alone. Now I have good suggestions for Sunday and Monday and then the DAY IS HERE.

I am so ready to feel better and be able to plan things without having to cancel due to the bleeding. Of course, if I feel better I suppose that means I lose my excuse for not doing housework.
Oh well, all of life is made of trade offs.

Thank you all,
Unread 05-31-2002, 02:44 PM
pre-op done now what?

I to am waiting for Monday to come. My DH is gone til sunday golfing, so to clean with the little ones trashing right behind me is out. I am a big women also, and not to worried about getting about afterwords. You should be just fine.

Karen
Unread 05-31-2002, 03:51 PM
pre-op done now what?

Sonya

Just wanted to wish you all the best.

I too am a big woman and I had abdominal surgery. Post op day 1 was a bit of a nothing day, but day 2 they got me on my feet and I haven't looked back since then. I am almost 6 months post now and it has all been good. Ahhhh - the no pain, no backache, no numb left leg, no BLEEDING - bliss.

All the very best wishes for your surgery and recovery.

Regards and hugs

Gail
Unread 06-01-2002, 10:07 AM
big woman

Dear Buckkie & Redsonya,

I am having conerns about being a big woman and not being able to sleep and relax on my back--I am a side sleeper. Do you have concerns? Suggestions?

Giggles (Suzi)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register