Help Help!! I need advice and VALIUM!!!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help Help!!  I need advice and VALIUM!!!!!!! Help Help!! I need advice and VALIUM!!!!!!!

Unread 05-31-2002, 12:29 PM
Help Help!! I need advice and VALIUM!!!!!!!

Hello,

My surgery is a week from Monday. Now!!! Now!!! NOW I am starting to freak out. This Monday I have to go a lab and have a barium enema done. I thought it was the stuff they gave me to drink at home to clean me out for my x-ray but come to find out, it isn't??!! I asked an older friend of mine (who has had all the test man offers) and she giggled and said that abot 4 xray techs (which are almost always guys) are going to pump stuff into my butt, x ray me and then I would have to run the the bathroom right after. Oh GOD, please tell me that this is not the case or at least can someone describe exactly what I can expect or else I may have heart failure before my Monday appt. I guess the test is called an IVP! Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2002, 12:37 PM

Relax. They may be looking for bowel obstructions. All kinds of things can get tangled in there and they want to be sure everything is where it should be. Yes, you'll have to hold it in until after they x-ray you, but though it's embarassing, they have a reason for doing it and, trust me, it's not for fun.

You have pre-op jitters, is all. Take a few deep breaths and keep thinking in several weeks this will all be.... er... behind you. No pun intended.
Unread 05-31-2002, 12:42 PM

Hi, Clusswoman,

A barium enema is a different test than an IVP.

Please click below for general information about a barium enema:

http://my.webmd.com/encyclopedia/article/3052.619

And click below for info about an IVP:

http://my.webmd.com/encyclopedia/article/4118.240

I hope this information will help.

Best wishes,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2002, 12:56 PM
Thank you

Oh! Thank you both so much..I am going to look up the tests right now. Knowledge is power to me..
Unread 05-31-2002, 12:56 PM

Do a search, I used google. There are some good web sites on Barium Enema 's there. It's to check for an. inflammatory bowel or obstructions. An IVP is what I had to check for kidney stones. They put dye into your system intraveiniously , no big deal, honest. Your doctor is being very thorough. These techs have done this many times and think nothing of it. A butt is just a butt to them. You will be covered. Sending you calming "s Karlene
Unread 05-31-2002, 02:07 PM

Gosh I really can't offer any advice, other than read up on anything you're not sure of - knowledge certainly is power, and the more you know, the less fearful the whole thing will be.

Just wanted to send some warm, gentle hugs for you

Hang in there!

Tess
x
Unread 05-31-2002, 03:51 PM
Don't worry!

I've had the barium enema exam many times, as I have inflammatory bowel disease. If you've never had one, it's more embarassing than anything else. Not painful - just uncomfortable having to hold in the barium!!! But there's no need to be embarassed. The techs and the docs do it all the time. Good luck!
Unread 05-31-2002, 04:31 PM

GSUE,

This is a sick follow up question but I need to know. I will be able to hold it in, right?? I mean..I will make it to the bathroom, right? OH GOD, I'd rather have all my organs removed than do this!!
Unread 06-01-2002, 12:54 PM
I can't promise...

but you should be able to!! It takes a little concentration, (for me at least, but I'm missing lots of my colon and have difficulties in that area) but you should be okay. Let us know how it goes!
Unread 06-03-2002, 11:24 AM
You are not alone!

I have to go for my IVP and Barium Enema this Thursday at 9 AM. I am more stressed out over the BE then I am about anything else right now. I just bought all my lovely stuff to take and drink for my prep this Wednesday. Please post again and let me know how bad it really was. I am a bundle of nerves right now.

I am sending big your way. Good luck!!

Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register