scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-01-2002, 07:42 PM
scared

First I'm new to this site. But I really thank God that I have found you all. My date for surgery is June 18, My daughters birthday. Now that's twice I've been cut open on that day. I'm scared and very stressed out waiting. I'm very concerned about my doctor telling me she will take the pain pump out next day and put me on motrin. I get something stronger than that for a headache. Is there anything I can do If the motrin doesn't work. Also do they have to use the mask for general anesthesia. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2002, 08:03 PM
Hi surf1

Hello and welcome to Hystersisters.

Being scared is very normal. This is major surgery and no one goes through this without some anxiety. Please spend as much time as you can reading through all the informatoin on this site. The pull down menu's on the Home Page provide lot's of useful information for both pre and post op issues. The more you read the better prepared you will feel. Hopefully it will calm a few fears as well as you read through how many princess's post that they are home and doing fine.

There are lot's of pain meds available. Please discuss your concern with your doctor about pain management prior to your surgery. There is no reason for you to be in pain or to be anxious about it. My doc left my PCA pump for four days. I decreased the use of it after about 2 days but it was nice to know it was there. After I went home I didn't need anything but Tyelenol PM at night. But we are all different. You should ask for a prescription pain medicine for home use too.

Yes, they will put the mask on for the general anesthesia. They will have already given you something to relax by then and they will be talking to you. You will have an opportunity to talk to the anesthesiologist prior to surgery also. So discuss any concerns you have about the mask with him too.

Keep reading and posting and check out the Chat Room if you can. Great way to connect with some other sisters.
https://www.hystersisters.com/chat2.php

Unread 06-02-2002, 02:03 PM
scared

Hi Serf1,

I wanted to welcome you to Hystersisters, too.

As Shelley said, it is perfectly normal for you to be nervous about your surgery, but most of us found that the waiting part was the hardest part of it all, and I am hoping that will be true for you, too.

I had general anesthesia, but do not remember the mask being put on my face - they gave me something before they took me to the operating room and I don't even remember saying goodbye to my DH, it put me out so quickly.

My surgery was in the morning, and my morphine pump was removed the following morning. I went home that afternoon with a prescription for Percocet. After a few days I stopped that and took Darvocet. Then Motrin after another week or so. Most of my discomfort came from the episiotomy-like cut that I had for the repairs that were done, and not from the actual hyst, but everyone is different, and everyone's surgery is different.

Please be sure to talk to your doctor about pain management - he will not want you to be in pain, or to be scared about it.

's

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register