how long should I wait to get a puppy?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long should I wait to get a puppy?? how long should I wait to get a puppy??

Unread 06-02-2002, 07:04 AM
how long should I wait to get a puppy??

Hi! I know this is a really strange question, but recently I've gotten the bug to get a dog . I'm single, with a bunch of roommates, but I've decided that I need something cheerful to come home to after teaching school! I have allergies and so I'll be getting a bichon frise. They have no pet dander, are a little bigger than a poodle, white, curly, don't shed, are great with kids, and a real lap dog. All they want is attention. Well, I've got a lot of attention to give and no one to give it to, so. . . . . my question is, I'm planning on bringing one home about 3 or 4 weeks after my surgery. Is that enough time? I'll need to have enough umph to potty train it. Any advice???

Thanks,
Stacy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2002, 07:48 AM

Hi! I work in pet rescue and I would advise you to wait until at least 8 weeks. You need to be released from your doctor to lift anything. Also, since you will be potty training the , you will have to get down on the ground to scrub any "accidents" that just aren't always preventable. Not to mention, puppies need to go to the vet for all their shots and snorfeldoodle/snorfle. This is a little too much at 3-4 weeks recovery whereas 8 weeks would be a bit more optimal.

Also, as far ast the potty training and you being gone during the day, you need to make some serious decisions. First and most important, you need to assess whether it is fair to your pup to leave them alone at home all day while you are working. Dogs get seperation anxiety and it can be extremely stressful for a dog to be home alone without you or a companion. It can manifest itself in all sorts of terrible behaviours such as barking excessively, psychological problems and destructive tendencies. The puppy with an older companion would be a better situation. And second, crate training is a must. Talk to your vet about it or a rescue group near you. They can provide you with all the necessary info since rescues are the ones who have to take dogs in when the new owners are not truly prepared.

Good luck and I hope it works out!
Shelley
Unread 06-02-2002, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Basenji
Not to mention, puppies need to go to the vet for all their shots and snorfeldoodle/snorfle.
What the heck is that???
I said s-p-a-y/n-e-u-t-e-r.

Is that censored????? LOLOLOL!!!

Shelley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2002, 08:37 AM
censored!

I loved it when I wrote about my pets and it posted with those weird words! Bizarre!
Unread 06-02-2002, 09:01 AM

I got a puppy last year, and from experience I'd say you should wait at least 6 weeks. It's a lot of work poddy training them ~ up and down all the time, cleaning up messes, up in the middle of the night to take them out. I know i would have been short tempered if I was tired, sore from recouperating from hyst. and trying to train the pup.
Unread 06-02-2002, 09:15 AM

I agree with Basenji. I have had dogs all my adult life, have trained and shown most of them. I have an 8 month old puppy now. Even at 8 months, if I didn't have my Dear mom here to help, she woudl be a handful. I am two weeks tomorrow and can't imagine in a week I would be able to pick her up to put her in her pen (the one in the corner of the family room) when I go out or into her crate at night. And she is only 13 pounds. I am doing great, but certainly not up to the intense time that training a new puppy requires.

I too am concerned about puppies left alone for many hours during the day. When I place my one litter of puppies (breeding is too much responsibility for me!!!), I was very careful to make sure that someone was home during the day or at least not gone for more than 4 hrs at a time. I understand that people that work can have well adjusted dogs, but I personally think that adult dogs do better in those circumstances. Puppies just have too much energy to be happily closed up and ignored for 8 + hrs a day.

I am also concerned about a household with "many" room mates. Are they all happy about the addition of a dog? All willing to take responsibility for the dog? All agee to be extra carefull so that a young puppy doesn't escape out a briefly open door?

Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer, but to me taking on the responsibility for a puppy is almost (no kids, my dogs are my kids!) as important as having kids (and I did say almost, I do realize that children are a bigger responsabiity!!). You are responsible for another life for the length of that dogs life!

Off my soapbox!!! (have you thought about talking to Bichon rescue about an older dog that needs lots of love. Or greyhound rescue. Greyhounds do pretty well being left alone and many people with allergies do very well with greyhounds!)

Caren
Unread 06-02-2002, 10:45 AM

Hi Stacy,

I think going to a rescue is a great idea. Those dogs are so grateful when you get them home. Also, most rescue groups will lend you support for the first few weeks, and the dogs are usually s-censored or n-censored and have their shots. You will have a built in support system!

Puppies are adorable, but they are work. My Zoey is 2 now, and I'm just now getting over her puppy-terrorist faze. When you ponder the training time, be sure to add in the time that you'll spend replacing things that are torn up, like maybe the antennae on your cell phone.

You might want to consider getting a rescue dog now, and a puppy for the rescue dog when you are up to it. Dogs do better when they have another fur-person to keep them occupied.

I had surgery 2 days ago, and I believe that having my fur-people around is keeping my spirits up. I do have help with them, though. In the hospital I had a dream that I was sleeping with my hand in the shepard's ruff- when I woke up I was scratching the pillow!
Unread 06-03-2002, 11:21 PM
my puppy

Thanks for all the advice! I think I will wait longer than a few weeks to get a puppy. Don't worry, I'm not leaving the dog home alone. I've been on that soapbox myself many times! I always had dogs when I was growing up, and have a strong opinion about neglected animals. We live in a calm house, with pretty mellow lifestyles. Every once in a while there are little neices and nephews, and friends over, but It's nothing like "real world." tv show thing. I actually have 3 responsible, mature, clean friends who rent rooms from me, and they have all been begging to get a dog. I haven't had one the past ten years because I didn't have the time that a dog deserves until now and wasn't willing to depend on someone else to give it the attention it needs. I have developed other health problems besides girly ones, like severe athsma, a messed up toe after 4 surgeries, and irritable bowel syndrome, amongst other things. All of that's kind of slowed me down, and now I spend a lot of time at home. My roommates have all lived with dogs when they were growing up and miss them. They want to help and have had a lot of experience, though it will be my dog, and I'm the one taking responsibility for it and plan on taking care of it: messes, trips to the vet for the censored stuff and medical stuff, puppy kindergarten, food, toys, and lots of love. (I'll just share the joy and help will be appreciated.) There is usually always someone home all the time. As a matter of fact, I think the house is empty for maybe 15 minutes tops during the day since our working schedules are all so different, and all three of them love nothing more than playing with a dog. They're already bantering over whose bed will be the most comfy for him/her to hang out on. I've already got a crate, yes, I definitely plan on crate training! I'm thinking about the rescue idea, but I'd like to be able to train it when it's young, so I don't have to live with the results of other people's neglect or mistakes with it. If I could find one well trained, with a good temperment, and still pretty young I'd do it. If not, I'd rather start from scratch.

I'm glad there are so many dog people out there like me! Animals are so theraputic! They make you crazy sometimes, but like Caren said, kids do too! I'm ready for the commitment for the next 15 years!

Thanks for your help,
Stacy
Unread 06-04-2002, 03:44 AM

YEAH Stacy!! I am sure there is a puppy out there just begging to come and live with you in a month or so!! Sounds like it will be one of the lucky ones!

Caren
Unread 06-04-2002, 06:46 AM

My dog was probably 9 months old when we discovered each other. She had been dumped or perhaps ran away, and ended up on a farm where the people didn't want to keep her. I was a diehard cat person b/c I've been attacked by dogs on 3 separate occasions growing up. Daisy, my dog, has really gotten me over my phobia of dogs. As far as the rescue thing, many people "fostering" the dogs know its temperament and if there are problems like housebreaking, etc. To me, Daisy was the perfect age, and you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. We took Daisy to obedience classes at 5 yrs. old and she was the pick of the litter, so to speak.

I liked the term "fur people." We have a 19 year old cat, an 11 year old cat, a 6 month old kitten, Daisy, whose 8 now, a 2 year old guinea pig, and 5 tadpoles. Actually, 3 just became frogs and the other 2 are trying hard! (They're about 1/2 an inch long and AMAZING.) Isn't it the coolest that we have these critters to love? When I think of the concept of "JOY", I think of my animals surrounding me...cat's purring, the dog with her head anywhere she can find on my body and the guinea pig "talking" away. And the tadpoles/frogs--they are just simply amazing reflections of creation. Good luck with your choice, whatever it is!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register