how long should I wait to get a puppy?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long should I wait to get a puppy?? how long should I wait to get a puppy??

Unread 06-04-2002, 09:22 AM
how long should I wait to get a puppy??

Stacey, I work for basenji rescue. We get puppies in around the summer months when people find out basenjis are more than they bargained for.

If you check, alot of times rescues will get in puppies. But there are also ALOT of older special needs dogs that get overlooked and need someone to love them so much! (Puppy mill dogs, abused dogs, etc...) Alot of them are so greatful just to find someone to love them. My Kaiso is that way. We wanted a pup and then I saw Kaiso at a rescue here and he just was made for me. That's all I know. He was a rough and tumble street dog who was abused and discarded. He growled at everything in site. You couldn't find a more loving, slobbery, CLINGY dog now!!! He is so greatful that we love him!

If you would consider rescue then I will give you these sites:
Small Paws Bichon Rescue - http://www.smallpawsrescue.org/pup3/adoptable.html
Bichon Rescue Ranch - http://www.bichonsonly.com/adoption.htm
Bichon Recue - http://www.bichonrescue.org/

Petfinder - www.petfinder.org (you can search by breed in your state and surrounding states
Pet Shelter Network - www.petshelter.net
1-800-Save-A-Pet - www.1-800-save-a-pet.com

Good luck!
Shelley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2002, 09:52 AM
the puppy wait..........

This was a great topic... kind of nice to have something that took our minds off surgery, even if only partially, and only just for a moment, ya' know?
I just wanted to say, that my family & I were planning on getting a puppy or rescue dog this spring, but once the surgery came up, I put it on an instantaneous HOLD. We want a Boxer,.. they're my fav, and I am just so much in love with their personality. And my 3 girls & I are home FT (we homeschool) But, with my surgery I just knew there was NO WAY I would even consider taking on yet ANOTHER responsibility. We already have a couple of other pets too. My children are all very young, and that alone is going to be alot to deal with all summer during my recovery,... we're also possibly planning to move mid-state around this time next year so I'm trying to to hold DH & DDs at bay until after then,.. although my heart yearns for one too,... I don't need any extra on my plate,. it's full enough already now that the surgery is in the mix. It wouldn't be fair to me, or the dog.
My DH & DDs seem to be recognizing that, and are being patient.
It's tough to wait, I know, but it's important to.....
Unread 06-04-2002, 12:01 PM
thank you for the websites shelley!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you soooooo much for the websites!!!! They are sooooo helpful! I've researched like crazy for at least a month trying to find rescue organizations and breeders for bichons, and I've only found one rescue organization and tons of breeders! I'm contacting them right now! Three thumbs up for the job you do. It's interesting, every dog I've had before was a rescue dog but they've all been really mixed breeds with no obedience training, and I didn't think I could get a purebred or a mix of just 2 breeds! I have to be kind of picky now because of the allergy/athsma thing. I'm definitely going to check it out!

Thanks again soooo much for your help! I'll let you know what I find!

--Stacy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2002, 01:23 PM

No problem and good luck with your surgery!

If you need any help at all you can email me privately at [email protected] and I can help you with anything you need to know as far as rescue, transport, etc....

Shelley
Unread 06-06-2002, 03:58 PM
It's a girl!

Here I was signing up for all of these rescue organizations, planning for July, when an ad came in the paper for bichon puppies. I've been driving around looking at puppies and dogs so I kind of know what I'm looking for. This breeder was really good, very responsible, had both the mom and dad there for us to see, and had been breeding for 20 years. She also boards dogs and was willing to take her back in her home for a month or so during my recovery time, with no charge, and she said she'll bring her for visits! I fell in love with a little girl. Her name is Cosita ("little one" in Spanish) and she has charmed everyone who meets her! She's six weeks old, and is just a bundle of happiness and joy. So far we haven't had any accidents in the house, the only time she cries is when she gets tired and can't find her fur family to snuggle up with. She's driven all over the place with me in my car to visit people and has been just an angel. I woke up this morning with her pouncing, giving a little growl, and chewing on my hair! She's super playful. I decided that when I get a second dog it will be perfect to get a rescue because Cosita can teach her how friendly hufamilies are and show her all the rules! The hard part is going to be taking her back to the breeder before surgery! Aaaaagh! She said she would keep working on potty training and crate training, and that she'll be a part of the family while she's there, and all that stuff, so hopefully we'll all be OK. I think I'm going to go through more separation anxiety than her!!!

Here's to all the dog people out there!!!!!

Stacy
Unread 06-06-2002, 04:01 PM
Congrats

Woo Hoo Stacer

I can't imagine life without my little fluffball - I just can't figure out how to explain to her that she can't jump on my tummy when I'm lying in bed after next week!

Take Care

Elaine
Unread 06-06-2002, 04:06 PM

Good luck with your puppy. I am sure she will be a wonderful companion. Please be patient with her, she is VERY young. Most breeders don't let puppies go until at least 8 wks as they really need that socialization with their mother and littermates during that time. Maybe the breeder will let you bring her back for play days with her "fur family".

Enjoy your new "fur baby".

Caren

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register