nausea after sugery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

nausea after sugery nausea after sugery

Unread 06-02-2002, 10:57 AM
nausea after sugery

Hi All,

For anyone going into surgery, I would suggested that you ask your doctor to leave a standing order with the nurses for good anti-nausea meds, just in case you need them. I asked my anesthisioligist (lost control of the spelling on that one!) if he would give me the big-gun anti-nausea stuff with the anesthesia- he was happy to, and I wasn't sick at all when I woke up. I had problems in the middle of the night when it wore off, though. They gave me light-weight stuff that didn't help, and had to get ahold of a doc before they could give me something that got it under control.

Not everyone has troubles with nausea, but if you do, the throwing up with a million stiches in your belly is no fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2002, 12:16 PM
I concur with this!

Even though I informed everyone that the regular stuff doesn't work with me ( I had had my gall bladder out in February and experienced this) they still had to "try", because the good stuff is very expensive. So as a result I had several bouts with nausea and vomiting that evening, and the following morning went right from the nausea to fainting (while unattended in the washroom, hitting my head on the porcelain , requiring 3 stitches). I fainted twice the following day(going into convulsions the second time) and they never gave me any anti nausea medications, as a matter of fact, they stopped giving me narcotics at all. I ended up staying in hospital for 5 days, with the catheter and IV attached for most of them. If you have had any experience with nausea after having had anesthetics, be firm. Only you know how your body reacts to medications, my reactions get progressively worse upon exposure, hopefully I never need to have another surgery!
Unread 06-02-2002, 02:34 PM
Zofran

The "good" nausa med is called Zofran. Perhaps if you are on an HMO maybe they have to try something else first I don't know. Sounds like with our first lady here the insurance plan would have been better off giving the more expensive stuff and she would not have had to run up a 5 day hospital bill! Zofran is the BEST anti-nausea med out there. It is what they give cancer patients so they don't get sick. Little kids in Chemo can even eat Pizza after receiving this drug. I told everyone I saw, doctors, nurses, anestesiologists. I had a bladder tack about 5-6 years ago and was very very sick. With the lapro. gallbladder procedure iI had and the vaginal hysterectomy I had the good stuff and had no problems! Best of luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2002, 03:03 PM
I was very scared too

In the past after surgery I would tell them I was going to throw up and the nurses would say, "no you're not" and then go and get clean uniforms because I was right, they were wrong. Due to esophageal erosion and a history of having them bleed and then throwing up blood if I do it more than a couple times or hard, I was terrified it would occur again and told the anesthesiologist about all this very carefully. Boy--have they improved anesthesia since 21 years before! I had no nausea. I could not believe it! That which really scared me turned out to be much easier than I'd feared. Now let me add one thing here--in part I think this was due to a naso-gastric tube I had put in, which was a surprise to me. If by any chance anyone gets one--you do not feel it and when it's taken out, by the time you go to tense up, it's out and painlessly! It surely helped me!
Unread 06-02-2002, 04:51 PM
nausea/anesthesia

Dawn,

When I had hernia/tummy tuck surgery last Fall, I was ready to heave about 3 hours after the anesthesia, when I got to my room. Just as I told them, they gave me something either in the IV just in time, OR I had orders ahead of time for compazine suppositories, which I know I took. Between one or the other, I was ok.

Don't drink anything carbonated. I stuck with clear fluids, cos just a little ginger ale created burps beyond that I'd ever known. By accident, I rolled onto my side I think, and finally belched out a HUGE One. I also think it's stupid that they tell you you can eat withing those 6-8 hours afterward. My poor father had surgery several years ago, and ate a whole sandwich within hours, cos they said he could, and he threw the whole thing up. Just writing about nausea always makes me nauseous!

Kathi
Unread 06-03-2002, 07:09 AM
I loved zofran

My anesthesiologist gave me zofran before surgery. I had for three days last time I had general anesthesia (more info below). I felt so much better this time due to the spinal but I have to agree that the food intake should be done slowly. I was on nothing but clear liquids the day of surgery and I felt wonderful. No pain or nausea and felt absolutely wonderful. The following day the dr. mentioned I may go home that evening. At that time I still had the epidural in and hadn't taken a walk or had solid foods. I was given a very late lunch of solids. I had to keep calling because they forgot my tray. By the time it came I wolfed it down and then didn't feel so well afterwards and moving to another room didn't help because the nursing care wasn't great. Hubby came in while I was nauseated and he went himself to get the nurse since they took to long answering my call button. I got the zofran just in time and I never got sick. I managed my first walk about an hour after the zofran and still hadn't had passed any gas so I was kept an extra night. My dr gave me a script of zofran for home my request. I'm glad for that extra night and me being the barf queen I needed another dose at 2 am and then asked for another shot of zofran before leaving to go home before the I.V. came out. My husband stated that he didn't want me making a mess in the car. Zofran is such a wonderful thing and has been used for cancer patients on chemo.

Debeagle I'm so shocked that they refused to give you the good stuff because of the cost and then have you end up falling requiring stitches. That alone could have been avoided if they would have controlled your nausea better. The fall requiring stitches and then having to stay longer in the hospital is alone more costly then a shot of zofran. Sorry you had such a rough time. Several years ago I was prescribed 1 compazine by a terrible dr. who refused to answer the phone while I was home recovering from a laporoscopy barfing like crazy and then it resulted in a bad allergic reaction also resulting in seizure like activity. Hubby being a paramedic thought I was going to die and called 911. I had an expensive E.R. visit and 2 day hospital stay. I had experince with phenerghan in the past but it didn't help as much as zofran.
Unread 06-03-2002, 08:37 AM
nausea after sugery

Vomiting & nausea is my biggest fear regarding this surgery. I have alot of GI problems as it is which cause daily nausea & vomiting as it is (Barrett's esophagus, Schatzki's ring, hiatal hernia, erosive esophagitis, erosive gastritis, ulcerative duodenitis, gallstones.) I take Aciphex daily trying to keep these problems in check.

I had a brow lift done last year & vomited excessively afterwards. They did give me antinausea medication before & during surgery but my 1st memory as soon as I awoke in the recovery room was vomiting. I was supposed to go home 1 hour afterwards but they didn't send me home until about 6 hours afterward when the outpatient recovery closed & I was still vomiting. They told me they gave me every antinausea medicine they legally were allowed to in the outpatient recovery but they didn't give me that Zofran.

I've expressed my concerns to with the general surgeon who is doing the gallbladder removal portion of my operation. I'm going to discuss it with my gynecologist when I see him for my pre-op. I've got a complete list of all my anesthesia & anti-nausea drugs to show the anesthesiologist when I meet with him. I'm going to request that my gynecologist place a standing order for Zofran based on your experiences.

Becky
Unread 06-29-2002, 09:26 AM
nausea after sugery

for those waiting.
Unread 07-26-2002, 06:53 PM
nausea after sugery

for new sisters
Unread 07-26-2002, 07:39 PM
nausea

Nausea and vomiting was one of my biggest fears, this was my
very first surgery. I was very thankful that I woke up feeling drowsy, No Nausea! I don't think they gave me anything for it.
I did have some nausea the day I left the hospital and for 2 days after. My Dr. said it was probably hormonal and offered to send
me home with some anti nausea meds. I declined, and did fine.
Eating saltines helped!
Jen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register