nausea after sugery - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

nausea after sugery nausea after sugery

Unread 01-21-2003, 01:54 PM
nausea after sugery

I have a lot of nausea problems after surgery. My stomach is really bad that way. They gave me the Zofran through my IV in the hospital whenever I needed it.

Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2003, 02:47 AM
nausea after sugery

Does anyone know if this Zofran is available in the UK and if so what its called here? I looked at the Zofran website but it wasn't much help. Just my luck we don't get it here
Unread 01-22-2003, 09:55 AM
nausea after sugery

Hi Mole,

It's been around awhile, so it should be available in the UK. Or there should at least be an equivelent drug available. Ask your doctor, and when your anesthesioligist comes to talk with you before the surgery, tell him/her that you have trouble with nausea and would like some big-gun anti nausea stuhh in your IV, and a standing order with your nurses for more, if needed.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2003, 02:02 PM
Zofran

I spoke to my sister tonight - she's a pharmacy technician here in the UK - and apparently Zofran is available here and is called the same here too - so I'll be asking for that!! Cheers girls!
Unread 01-25-2003, 01:36 AM
My anaesthetist listened

Even though Ive been lucky enough never to have had a problem with nausea and vomiting post-op in the past, it remains my one big fear. To the point of being phobic. I was more scared of this than the surgery. And hysterectomy is deemed to be the one op with a higher risk for it than others, according to the anaesthetist at my pre-admission appointment. He explained it was something to do with the reproductive organs/genitals being manipulated. He said around 20% of women would experience the problem. If hysterectomies are more likely to cause nausea and vomiting then all sisters should be automatically protected against this! With the correct drugs! This fellow made a note on my file about my concerns.

So on the day of the op when my own anaesthetist came to see me in the ward pre- op I explained my fears and begged him to put in extra stuff and do what he could to help and he agreed. This co-operation was fantastic and he didn't make me feel foolish (after all, it has never even been a problem for me!) In the OR he continued to reassure me. When I woke up from the surgery I had NO problems with nausea and vomiting and felt elated and relieved that my fears had been surmounted. Also that the op was finally over. He even came to visit at my bedside a few days later to see how I went. It was wonderful to be cared for like this and have my concerns addressed.

The only times I felt nauseous were after a hellish episode of bowel pain requiring x-rays and cat scans 36 hrs later - my bowel was dissected from uterus and had been handled alot. (My surgeon said it was a very tricky surgery) And after a day long migraine 5 days later. Nurses were quick off the mark to help me through these 2 occasions.

As a final note, the surgery pain was minimal, again thanks to my anaesthetist - it briefly felt like a heavy period, but soon dissipated. He obviously got my pain well under control in recovery. I had a PCA for 24 hrs, but apparently didn't use it to the max. After this, follow up medication was given rectally as I was on a drip. When I came off the drip I just took Panadol (took my own in as couldn't swallow their horse pills which were stronger) And I was off all painkillers on day 5! Thank you Mr Anaesthetist! You are my friend for ever.

I hope and wish other sisters receive the consideration I was lucky enought to get. Good luck to all ladies in waiting.
Unread 01-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Nausea after surgery

I am schedule for my TAH for February 21and I too am terrified of nausea and vomitting after surgery. My dr. said that she is going to give me Zofran in my IV so I hope that helps. I didn't have any problems with nausea and vomitting after my LAP, ureteroscopy, or colonoscopy; however, I am still terrified about it. My Dr. says since I didn't have problems with the others, I should be fine. Anyway, she has put a standing order for the Zofran.
My prayers are with all of you who are waiting for the date, good luck with everything.

Holli
Unread 02-19-2003, 01:24 AM
nausea after sugery

Unread 02-19-2003, 01:24 AM
nausea after sugery

Unread 02-19-2003, 09:14 AM
nausea after sugery

I had a miserable history with post-surgical nausea, and had once had a frightening reaction to Compazine, an anti-nausea med. So I was a major fuss-budget with the anesthesiologist about this. She gave me *five* different anti-nausea meds, including one that was a patch behind my ear that continued to work for several days, and something to swallow to prevent reflux! For future reference, I'm going to ask them to send me the list, since they worked beautifully without side-effects. I'll post it here when I get it.
Unread 03-04-2003, 09:27 AM
nausea after sugery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register