If cervix removed - what about bladder??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

If cervix removed - what about bladder??? If cervix removed - what about bladder???

Unread 06-02-2002, 12:13 PM
If cervix removed - what about bladder???

I am a LIW with surgery scheduled for June 10th. I'm 99.9% sure I want my Dr. to take my cervix - but we haven't discussed any thing about the bladder. Those of you that have had your cervix removed or those that have inquired - are they addressing the bladder issue? Is it standard proceedure to have stiches or a bladder tack - or is that only if you're having problems already?? Can something be done later? I read one of our sisters Dr.'s needed more surgery time to do a bladder tack & she may have needed to have her surgery date moved. What is a bladder tack? what is different recovery wise????
While I'm here. How hard are stairs post-op??? What are the docs suggesting? We do have a bedroom downstairs- but I'd rather be up.
Thanks everyone - pre- op is on thursday the 6th.
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2002, 12:51 PM

Hi Julie,

As far as I know, you wouldn't need to have a bladder tack unless you are already having problems with your bladder prolapsing (falling down). The cervix is merely the entrance to your uterus and does not support any other organs at all, as far as I am aware. Please be sure to discuss all of your medical questions with your doctor, though, to be sure.

The issue of climbing stairs is one that has been mentioned several times - if you do a search (little purple button at the top right of this page) on the word stairs, you will probably find lots of threads discussing it.

I read your other posts and see that you have a 10 1/2 month old son - I would think it would be easier to take care of him if both of you and all of his things were downstairs, but you may have made other arrangements to have him cared for, and so that may not be an issue for you.

Best wishes,

's

Karen
Unread 06-02-2002, 12:59 PM

My cervix was removed but no repairs were needed for my bladder.

As for stairs, ask you doctor because they all differ. My doctor is a huge fan of stairs for hyst patients because they provide forced exercise. Some doctors say "no stairs" or at least limit the number of daily trips up and down. I didn't have any problem with them, other than feeling exhausted the first time I went up them after I got home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2002, 04:58 PM
Just had mine

Just had my TAH/BSO with cervix removed on Tuesday. I asked the doctor if I would need a bladder tack and he said no. I haven't had any problems in that area at all. Now the gas that's an entirely different matter.

Best of luck to you.

Unread 06-03-2002, 02:56 AM
If cervix removed...

Dear Julie,

To the best of my knowledge, the cervix and bladder don't have anything to do with each other. I am having a TAH/BSO and bladder tack. If you needed a bladder tack, you'd know it! Every time I cough, sneeze or laugh a small amount of urine escapes which can be embarrassing.

My DR said because I'm having the bladder tack done, I might end up keeping the catheter in longer than had I not. She also said I might even have to come home with it still in, but I'm really hoping that doesn't happen!

A bladder tack is when the bladder is surgically lifted back into place. I can't wait for the day when I can enjoy a good, hearty laugh without running from the room to change my pants!

Hope this helps.

Lauren
Unread 06-03-2002, 03:19 AM
Julie

I am 8 months post from having a LAVH/RSO and big bladder repair. Having a lavh means loosing your cervix anyway so no choice there, but I would have opted to have it removed anyway if I was having abdominal. As for the bladder repair, i did not have a sling, i had a major repair for a very prolapsed uterus and bladder. My bladder had grown into my vaginal wall. Now do not panic I was rare lol. Taking the cervix nd not having to have any bladder work done would not effect the bladder so please do not worry. If there is anything needing to be done to your bladder then it will not effect the taking of the cervix either. With a lavh there is heaps of internal stitching anyway. Yes bladder repair/slings or whatever can be performed a long time after hyst. I wish you good luck with your hyst. After recovery etc and your body has had time to adjust it really begins to feel wonderful. Hugs Vicki aka smilie
Unread 06-03-2002, 03:54 AM

Hi Julie

Regarding stairs: Every DR has their own preferences. I went home with no restrictions on ambulation. The first few times I went up or down the stairs my DH was on the down side just in case I got dizzy. I didn't make unnecessary trips up and down but I didn't have any problems when I did have to.

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register