Pre-op/Bipolar | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op/Bipolar Pre-op/Bipolar

Unread 06-03-2002, 05:43 PM
Pre-op/Bipolar

I'm new here but I've been surfing messages and this is a great site!! I'm scheduled for my preop on Friday and getting nervous.....is anyone here bipolar and can't clue me in on what to expect? I'm 43....perimenopausal, healthy except for feeling horrible for the past 3-4 years (extreme bleeding, bloating, cramps, lower back pain, nausea, etc.etc) Most of all PMS...never had it before now it is wreaking havoc on my mood stabilization......I've tried patches....didn't help....so desparate I didn't want quick fixes (d&c, ablation) I can't bear the thought of a bandaid approach and living through 1-2 more years of this! Doctor advises me to have partial hyst leaving ovaries........husband thinks it's extreme....I'm at my wits end!! I know if I don't do something I'll lose this battle! Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2002, 07:29 PM
Hello bprow

Welcome to Hystersisters. Thank you for posting.
I am sorry you are dealing with so many things at once. It is not easy.
I don't know everything about your situation of course. But, please make sure that the doctor/surgeon you are seeing friday for your pre-op is aware of your bipolar disorder and the med's you are taking. And ask lot's of questions on his opinion of the impact to your moods/PMS that the hysterectomy may effect or hopefully solve.
Also please be aware that your ovaries will probably go to sleep for awhile after surgery. It will take them awhile to wake up and start functioning again for you. That may cause some temporary hot flashes and mood swings until the ovaries kick back in.
I was 50 and hitting menopause when I was diagnoses with a number of things. The surgery helped my moods alot and I am doing well on the patch. But we are all different as you have read.
Sometimes it is worthwhile to seek a 2nd or 3rd opinion to make sure you are headed down the best path for you. Also to make sure you have a doctor that is sensitive to your bipolar condition and will take that into consideration both pre and post op.
I am sure others will come along to shed more on this too.
Unread 06-03-2002, 10:34 PM
Pre-op/Bipolar

Dear bprow,

I am not bipolar so can't help you with that but I found myself in the exact same situation as you are in. Extremely heavy periods, bad PMS, bloating, cramps, tender breasts, extreme fatigue, etc, etc. I too suffered with this for years before I was able to stand up for myself. By the time I finally set my sights on getting rid of this all-consuming situation, the band-aide solutions didn't interest me at all either. I knew I couldn't handle anything less than "gone"!

I did, however, have a D&C two years ago which did absolutely nothing to help. Then my DR put me on a hormone pill which made me feel like I was having my period every day of the month!After enduring all that, I skipped my yearly pap the next year.

When is your surgery date? It must be soon if you have a pre-op apt. already. I'm having a TAH/BSO on June 13th but I'm also keeping my ovaries, if all looks well.

On the home page of Hyster Sisters, there are pull-down menus loaded with all kinds of information. If you read them, I think they will help tremendously.

Hang in there! You've gotten this far and you've found the best place to be with women who are going through the same things! Ask lots of questions, read as much as you can and keep us upated on your progress.

Lauren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2002, 05:21 PM
Pre-op/Bipolar

Thanks for your replies....it helps to have someone out there that can understand!! I don't get back to boards that often due to teenagers in the house (always downloading music!) I'll try to check as much as possible. I'll keep ya'll posted after I have my pre-op on Friday....what can I expect during pre-op....dr. only mentioned discussing details of surgery etc and scheduling...I always thought pre-op was when you went in for blood/lab work.........

Thanks again!!
Unread 06-04-2002, 05:38 PM
Pre-op/Bipolar

Pre op is when you go in to go over your surgery, insurance and to have blood work, EKG, and talk to the anesthesiology people. Its not bad except for all the waiting.

I only have one ovary.... everything else is gone. I have no PMS or mood swings anymore. Im just basically a very happy person now that I dont have all that misery to live with anymore. I am not on HRT because one ovary will produce all the estrogen I will need for a while until I reach menapause. Hang in there. It gets better!!!
Unread 06-05-2002, 09:21 AM
Pre-op/Bipolar

How long does pre-op typically take (and I was thinking I could do it on my lunch hour!) LOL! Guess I'm wrong about that!
Unread 06-05-2002, 10:26 AM
Pre-op/Bipolar

I would plan for about 2 hours. Lot's of paperwork and scurrying around the hospital to different departments for the labs etc.
I didn't meet my anesthesiologist at the pre-op. He called me at home the night before. They are all a bit different.
Good luck.
Unread 06-05-2002, 09:23 PM
Pre-op/Bipolar

hellooooooch bprow i am also bipolar. i do not mix my doctors-- they know who they are. if needed they can ask me for permission to consult some one and so on. i manage my own health care. i am scheduled for a tah /bso,cystocele,rectocele, adhesions. i do not know what drugs you are on -- none of mine interfere. most bipolar meds work on the brain only. as you know bipolar is a chemical imbalance in the brain!!! i will say each of my doctors know all of my meds---everyone works together.
if you have nothing wrong with your uterus,etc. and was told to have a hysterectomy------i would suggest you really look into seeing a endocrinologist.

BEST WISHES JANICE72
Unread 06-06-2002, 10:49 AM
Pre-op/Bipolar

Thanks for all the replies. I think my appt. tomorrow is just to schedule tvh and go over surgery, etc. My husband's going with me. I guess (from what I've heard) that the real pre-op will be scheduled right before operation. I do have serious problems (female) not related to bipolar....it's just that the female problems are disrupting my moods! All my docs work together too and are aware of all my meds. I'm just ready to get rid of all that stuff so I can enjoy my life again. Just concerned about the usual stuff you hear about complications....bladder issues, sexual libido, etc. My relationship with my sweet husband is incredible (and that contributes to my mental well-being!) and I don't want to mess that up!! I still want to get butterflies in my tummy when I see him or think of him!!
Unread 06-06-2002, 05:01 PM
Pre-op/Bipolar

bprow-- how did your appointment go? did you get your ?'s answered? some times they just do not know--it is a wait and see--i think you know what i mean. i do hope you do feel more comfortable. i also was told 10 years ago to have a hyster-- and i have bipolar--i said no way- i suffered, i survived and now; i am ready for my hysterectomy (50). ten years ago my bipolar was not under control--i was rapid cycling from am to pm--no way was i going to bring in a hystererectomy--more chemical imbalance. i think i would of had to of been locked up. good luck keep in touch and up to date. janice72

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register