5 days post hysterectomy: Increasing anxiety and worry for no apparent reason | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days post hysterectomy: Increasing anxiety and worry for no apparent reason 5 days post hysterectomy: Increasing anxiety and worry for no apparent reason

Unread 04-24-2016, 11:24 PM
5 days post hysterectomy: Increasing anxiety and worry for no apparent reason

5 days post total hysterectomy utilizing the da vinci system and I'm feeling fine physically but emotionally I'm becomingly increasingly anxious and worried about posssible complications. Most worrisome for me is stress regarding proper healing or injury to my cuff. I know logically worrying does not help the healing process but my emotions are getting the better of me. I'm a nurse so the practitioner side of me should be able to manage this from a rational perspective but I'm young, normally healthy/active, and today just a little scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2016, 08:47 AM
Re: Increasing anxiety and worry for no apparent reason

I'm a few days ahead of you in healing and have the same kind of concerns as you. I am a pretty active person as well. My DH said one of the biggest issues I would have is sitting still. With that said, I still do not want to get near the dishwasher to open it to put away dirty dishes or close it in fear of twisting wrong or that the door is more than 10 pounds. LOL. I think we just want to make sure we heal properly the first time so we do not have a setback. As long as we are aware of what we should and should not do that is all we can control. The rest is up to our body, and it's amazing healing abilities after a surgery such as this. I am there with you on these feelings.

Unread 04-25-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferdickers View Post
5 days post total hysterectomy utilizing the da vinci system and I'm feeling fine physically but emotionally I'm becomingly increasingly anxious and worried about posssible complications. Most worrisome for me is stress regarding proper healing or injury to my cuff. I know logically worrying does not help the healing process but my emotions are getting the better of me. I'm a nurse so the practitioner side of me should be able to manage this from a rational perspective but I'm young, normally healthy/active, and today just a little scared.
I'm very emotional, one minute I could cry and the next I'm totally frustrated. I thinks it's normal, I'm concerned what I should or shouldn't do. People keep saying you only get one chance to heal correctly. Then I read people are driving and feel great straight away. I'm 3 weeks down and my incision is still really painful. I've pottered around and went for a walk which just hurt, so I'm in no rush to do that again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2016, 09:16 AM

Ty for sharing. I know my emotions are heightened r/t surgical menopause but I just want a successful recovery. My life has always been the textbook definition of Murphys Law. I'm going to do everything I can to recover and prayers will have to take care of the rest. This site and the stories shared here are wonderful. Ty again for taking a moment to give me a little encouragement and remind me I'm not alone.
Unread 04-25-2016, 09:24 AM
Re: 5 days post hysterectomy: Increasing anxiety and worry for no apparent reason

I'm 3 weeks post op, I cried a lot the first week or so. Not sure why either, I think being so vulnerable and delicate these first few weeks cause us to be more emotional. I've had to teach myself to take it easy and allow the people around me to help. I'm always so on top of things, . And maybe a little controlling, so this has been ruff. Take all the help that is offered, big or small! Pride aside. Take the time to heal. You come first right now. Cereal for dinner is not a crime! :-) LOVE & Light ladies!
Unread 04-25-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Hi There
Looks like we had our surgery a day apart. I too am a nurse and typically a worrier. I keep stressing over things. Overall the surgery has been ok. I had some nausea and diarrhea from my IBS but i hope I am on the mend today. I sat outside today in the sun and that helped a ton. I also put make up on today. I am going to stay positive. We can both do this! I also fret because I compare myself to others who say they were doing all kinds of stuff after the first day. Hang in there! Here for you!
Unread 04-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Re: 5 days post hysterectomy: Increasing anxiety and worry for no apparent reason

Deep breaths and hang in there!

I cried in the shower every single day, and several more times a day, every day, for the first 3 weeks. The emotional aspect of healing, coupled with the physical stuff, was so much harder than I was prepared for.

If the anxiety continues, do talk to your doctor about it.

It gets so much better. Be gentle with yourself, rest, take care of yourself.
Unread 04-25-2016, 03:09 PM

I think being a nurse makes it even worse for me. I worked critical care and er for so many years. I never got to see the happy surgical outcomes. If I saw a post surgical patient it's because there really was a bad prior history or something bad/unforseen went wrong. I feel good....having said that there's that little devil sitting on my shoulder whispering doubt. TY for your words of support. We're all going to be fine....and even better than before once we've healed.
Unread 04-25-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I think being a nurse makes it even worse for me. I worked critical care and er for so many years. I never got to see the happy surgical outcomes. If I saw a post surgical patient it's because there really was a bad prior history or something bad/unforseen went wrong. I feel good....having said that there's that little devil sitting on my shoulder whispering doubt. TY for your words of support. We're all going to be fine....and even better than before once we've healed.
I totally agree! We only see the worst and we know too much. Always prepared for the worst. I am here for you! Let's stay positive together!! We got this.
Unread 04-25-2016, 04:06 PM

One of the best things to remember from a site like this is: Never compare your recovery to anyone else's. We all heal at different rates for many reasons including surgery type, what was done inside, complications, extensiveness of surgery, other conditions like autoimmune disorders, infections, etc. I think my recovery was fairly average. The worst part for me was hormonal. I had hot flashes the first day. I cried and yelled over any little thing. There were women on my recovery thread who were back at work after 2 weeks. There was no way in the world I could have worked that soon. You just need to remember you recover at the rate you recover. Pay attention to your body. It it hurts, or if it causes you pain, don't do it. There is no reason to think your cuff won't heal properly. Just know that hormones, or lack thereof, right after surgery can play nasty tricks with your mind and sometimes logical thinking goes right out the window. Keep on posting, and I have my that your recovery goes smoothly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register