Bladder Spasms? Urge? > Bladder Sling | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder Spasms? Urge? > Bladder Sling Bladder Spasms? Urge? > Bladder Sling

Unread 06-04-2002, 09:54 AM
Bladder Spasms? Urge? > Bladder Sling

((SusieQM)),
I dont have any experience with the sling but what your experencing doesnt sound normal to me?? Wasnt the sling done to stop the incontinence and leaking? Have you talked to your Dr about this?? Sorry I couldnt be of more help but I'm sure someone with some experience with this will come along shortly Please keep us posted. Hope you are able to find some answers and relief to all this soon.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2002, 11:35 AM
bladder work

Hi Susie

I had a bladder suspension with my hyster as well. I only had the spasms for the first few weeks. I never leaked. Quite the opposite. I had to talk my bladder into letting lose LOL. I did however have a lot of preasure/pain when my bladder was full until about 4 weeks postop.

I would think that your situation is a bit ongoing. I would call your Dr and see what they have to say. Be sure to record everything that is going on so that you can clearly give them your symptoms.

I am almost 6mo post-op now and I can tell ya (my bladder is user friendly again) LOL

Sending good thoughts and hope your feeling better soon

Michele
Unread 06-04-2002, 08:52 PM

Hi Susie

I didn't have a bladder sling either, though I might just end up with one.... will know more after July 12th... it seems to me that you shouldn't be experiencing this much discomfort and shouldn't be leaking after this surgery.

I would also call your doctor and insist on being seen. In the meantime, keeping a bladder journal will help both you and your doctor determine what is happening.

Sending healing s your way. Please keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2002, 12:11 PM
Bladder suspension

Hi Ladies,
It has been a while since I have chatted with my Hyster Sisters, but thought this subject was one I needed to talk about. In Jan. of this year (2002) I had EVERYTHING done - total hysterectomy, enterocele, cystocele, rectocele repairs, and a bladder suspension. I recovered quite well from all that, but after a while had trouble with incontinence. The doc had told me ahead of time I might need to have a bladder sling done at a later time, and he was right. I could hardly control my bladder, wearing 2 pads at a time, and feeling like I had to "go" all the time. Anyhow, four weeks ago I had a bladder sling done. I was only in the hospital overnight and was able to urinate on my own quite well. I was home for two days and ended up in the emergency room because my bladder seemed to completely shut down and I had to have a catheter put in. I had that in over the weekend and took it out on Tuesday. The doc said this was all "normal" and that my bladder would start working again real soon. They showed me how to self cath when I couldn't go. At first this seemed to work okay, but after 3 weeks of trying to self cath, with probing, pushing and putting in the "wrong place", I am pretty frustrated. I have been to the doc twice and go again this week and have many questions. I can go a little at a time during the day when I'm up and around but at night, when I wake up with a full bladder, I can't go on my own and I spend 15-20 minutes trying to self cath and end up with slight bleeding and a very full and painful bladder. I was told that they did the sling tight because it was easier to deal with, but also might have to have more surgery to loosen the sling or bring it down some. If I had known all this several weeks ago I thing I would have settled for wearing the pads all the time - at least I felt more comfortable. We are going on vacation in 10 days and I don't know what or how I am going to handle this delicate situation in new and different places. Anyhow, I just needed to vent to women who understand. My DH wonders how I am "missing the mark" when I try to self cath and, in general, men don't understand these female problems very well. I am 68 years old, very active and like to be doing more, but I am tending to stay around the house more because I am "comfortable" here. I know this isn't too encouraging for you younger women, but this kind of surgery works different on everyone. I just happen to be "one of those statistics" where if something can go wrong, it will. I'm just praying the doc will have encouraging news for me this week. In the meantime, God bless you all.

Ardene
Unread 06-24-2002, 05:54 PM

((((Ardene))))) I'm so sorry you've been having such a hard time since your hyst, and now this added aggravation after the second surgery Regardless of how old or how young you are, you shouldn't be having all these problems and your quality of life shouldn't be lessened

Sweetie, I fully understand how hard it must be to self-cath and how easy it must be to miss the mark: before my hyst, two nurses tried to insert the cath and simply couldn't because I was so badly damaged "down there", from giving birth to two large babies, vaginally.

Hang in there and keep at those dr's of yours: there must be something they can do to relieve your problems and to ensure that your bladder empties properly. BTW, I somehow don't think it's "normal" to have to go to the ER two days after surgery

Sending lots and lots of healing s your way. Hopefully, you'll be feeling a lot better by the time you head for your vacation.
Unread 06-24-2002, 08:20 PM
Bladder Spasm HELP

My TVH surgery with A&P repairs was 6/14/02. Bladder spasms are so bad can hardly stand it. I still have supra-pubic cath in. I can't call dr.. Is there anything I can do to relieve pain??? I am shaking from pain, it is so bad. Is this normal?
Unread 06-24-2002, 08:32 PM

(((Barbara)))) Why can't you can't you call your doctor? Is there an on-call doctor you can call? If not, you really should head for the ER: since you're only 10 days post-op, you really shouldn't take any meds without checking with your doctor first, since some meds interact adversely with all the anestesia and meds you were on in the castle.

Hang in there, sweetie. Your pain should be under control, soon.

Unread 06-24-2002, 08:32 PM
Bladder Spasms

Barbara,
I am hurting for you as I really can feel your pain. I don't think anyone (especially a man) can fully understand how bad a bladder spasm feels unless they have experienced it. I'm wondering why you are having such pain even with a cath in and why can't you call your doctor? My bladder sling surgery was just 4 weeks ago and I keep waiting for it to get better, but it is such a slow process. During the night I sit on the toilet and, like you, cry because I so want to pee without using a self cath and I can't. After my major surgery in January I did fine and felt so good for so long and then all of a sudden the bladder decided not to cooperate. Our bodies sure are complex aren't they!! I have talked to my pastor about this problem because I needed him to keep me in his prayers, and he said, "isn't it something how we take for granted just being able to go to the bathroom on our own." Things have to get better Barb, because they can't get much worse. I will keep you in my prayers and please keep in touch. I see my urologist this week and I will let you know what he says about my particular situation. Hugs to you.

Ardene
Unread 06-24-2002, 08:48 PM

I can't call doctor - I was in ER last week because my s-p cath was blocked with bood clots. The ER staff was AWFUL and I left. I was told before I left that I wouldn't have a doctor if I left. I called around and have a uro appointment July 2. So right now i don't have a dr. Pain is bad and cath is full of blood.
Unread 06-24-2002, 10:37 PM

It doesn't matter if you don't have a doctor.

Under federal laws, all ERs MUST treat patients that present for care. It is called EMTALA. You have the right to a medical screening exam including all diagnostics needed to determine if an emergency condition exists. Severe pain counts as an emergency.

(Sorry, I am an ER manager......)

I would go to the ER, and demand treatment.

Jackie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register