Just a chuckle for those who know and understand | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just a chuckle for those who know and understand Just a chuckle for those who know and understand

Unread 06-04-2002, 08:29 AM
Just a chuckle for those who know and understand

Went back to the dr yesterday. My GP is out of town, saw his partner who specialty is really internal med. While I don't have a DVT, it's becoming obvious that I have two superficial clots. One just above the knee, one in the calf, so we'll keep drugging those little gems and watching for redness.

The dr stated that she had spoken with my physician about me before he left town - he expected me to be an inpatient by this point (how reassuring). I took a deep breath and started explaining the gi issues that I've been having and my overactive imagination making me worry about the adhesions coming back. (Hey, she's internal med, so why not ask?)

To make a long story shorter - a quick rectal exam showed blood in the stool, so off to the hospital (again!) for more lab work. They called at 8:30 this am, Everything came back positive for infection and bacteria. They didn't give me any specifics, just a "we need to get meds called in right away", and darn it I just got OVER a three month bout of yeast and I'm going to have it again. If you see me out on the street, you'll recognize me right away - I'll be the one walking bow-legged.

My DH (who ended up having to be treated for yeast himself since we were obviously "sharing") was just thrilled - "Oh no, you're going to end up with THAT again. Great!"

I had post op infection in my incision late April, anyone have any thoughts as to whether this could be related? I've been having some really weird stuff happen - Maybe I'm just getting old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2002, 09:02 AM

((Lisa)),
I'm sorry to hear about the infection and yeast I often get superficial clots mostly in my arms and legs. Luckily, I havent had anyones in the deep veins . I do have a clotting disorder and was on Coumadin for awhile, now I'm just on aspirin therapy. I have no ideas about the infections being linked but it sounds like a good possibilty?? Please keep us posted and I hope you are able to feel better soon.....
Unread 06-04-2002, 09:19 AM

Lisa: I am sorry you are dealing with this- 's
I know about those "yeastie beasties" i get them every time i go on antibiotics. And isnt it nice- all the stuff we get to "share" when we are married !!!! My DH gets the rash on his inner legs- he is a mechanic & works out in the FL. heat (yeast's best friend) which doesnt help. I found an ointment that my dr. prescribed that works on that for him though.
*Please* keep an eye on those blood clots dear sister !!

Keep those legs up- the pillow police are watching Lol ! And let us know how you are doing.

(((((((hugs)))))))

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2002, 10:26 AM
Most definitely a link to surgical infection!

Dr's office called again (wow!). The infection is c diff (clostridium difficile) and only occurs if you are/or have recently been treated with antibiotics. Symptoms begin 2 - 6 weeks after antibiotics. Stopped antibiotics 5/2/02, got sick 5/19. Guess that's why the doc asked if I had been on antibiotics recently. The dr thought a little more and decided to have me take the new drug for longer duration.

Amazing how a drug to make you better can causes more problems - but at least we know what's wrong this time. YEAH!
Unread 06-04-2002, 02:06 PM
GEEZZZZZZ

I'm so sorry your going through all that sending you a big ! I swear we do things to get us better and one thing counter reacts the other unreal!
Since my hyster...I've had more problems than before ! I really hope that this new med. will help! Hang in there! Keep us posted!!!!
Love Colette
Unread 06-04-2002, 08:14 PM

((((Lisa)))) I'm so sorry you've been having such a very hard time since your surgery Hopefully this next round of antibiotics will be the last one.

Do rest up and be sure to keep those legs up. It's a good idea to keep a close tab on those clots.

Sending lots of healing s your way.
Unread 06-05-2002, 03:44 AM

Lisa,

So there is another unusual/unlucky hyster sister like me. I ended up with clostridium difficile from a staph infection in my incision. I got it from Keflex. It cleared up after 10 days of vancomycin. Did your Doc. tell you that you could possibly get it again when you use anti-biotics in the future? I have had it twice now from my two last experiences with anti-biotics. Not a nice bacteria to get is it. Are you on vanco or flagyl?

Were you told it is a very rare thing to happen after anti-biotics? Not many people have ever heard of it.

Hope you are feeling much better soon.
Unread 06-05-2002, 04:46 AM

Breeze,

I had heard of it, but didn't know what it was called. I have a ds that's a little different medically and tends to be on long term antibiotics quite often. His physician gave us a really big lecture when the boy was on clindomyicin (sp?) a few years ago about how a dangerous condition can develop while taking this particular antibiotic and that if the kid developed gi problems to get him to the ER immediately. The boy has never had this problem (thank heavens), and since his doc specifically mentioned a different drug than what I was taking I never even thought of my problem being antibiotic related two weeks AFTER I stopped treatment.

This little problem adds another "rough spot" for me medically - I've had anaphalactic reactions (in patient treatment required) from penicillin, cephalosporins, and sulphas. And once I received the fax from my doctor outlining exactly what my problem is right now (what a nice doctor - sending me the info in writing!) I'm more than a little concerned for my son who has been on nonstop antibiotic treatment since August and is leaving for a two week trip 6/16. My paperwork says that he is at high risk of contracting this from me because c diff forms spores and is easily transmitted to others on antibiotics - thus its a great "hospital" disease. I think the dr faxed me the info to try to calm my fears for my son, but she's not my son's physician so she didn't know about him being on pretty high levels of antibiotics. She just managed to gear up my nerves a little higher. Guess I'll be calling the office again today... All I need is to have a really sick medically different 14 year old in a hospital in FL while I live in Ohio.

I'm on flagyl. Less than 24 hours and I already have concluded this is nasty stuff - horrible yucky metallic taste and nausea all the time.

Did you have yeast issues after this? My papers say that flagyl is notorious for causing yeast problems, and I've been flora central since March - just got it under control a within the last couple of weeks.
Unread 06-05-2002, 11:34 AM
antibiotic problems

Whoa. Gonna be praying for you! Listen, with all the problems with yeast, have you tried the age old yogurt thing? Gotta be plain (yum), with active cultures. Supposed to restore the good bacteria that the antibiotics kill, while trying to wipe out your infection... Eat a cup every day you're on the antibiotics. Nice source of calcium; add some fruit (no added sugar) and you have more good stuff.
Unread 06-05-2002, 01:08 PM

I take multi flora supplements daily, which contain the same active cultures found in yogurt. Same thing, no calories

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register