Can I handle this alone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can I handle this alone? Can I handle this alone?

Unread 06-05-2002, 12:34 PM
Can I handle this alone?

Hello,

This is my first post, I've been reading for a while and haven't found much dealing with how to handle living alone after the surgery. A little background, I'm scheduled for a sub-total (cervix left behind, also leaving ovaries) hystie on June 19th. The gyn said I'll be in the hospital for 3 days, and off work for 6 to 8 weeks. I have a friend coming to visit (and help) for the first 5 days after I get out, but then I'm on my own.

From what I've been reading from all your posts, I'm starting to worry that I'm not going to be able to do this. I'm generally a very independent and capable person, but I'm usually healthy and unhurt.

Any advice or fore-warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Toni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2002, 12:55 PM
You are going to have to take it easy...

it will take 6-8 weeks for full recovery... it is great that you are getting help the first week... but you are going to have to take it real easy after that.... no heavy lifting... no cleaning...( ok maybe wash a fork and a bowl once in a while) lol.... but for the most part...pretty much everything else is a no no!

you have found a wonderful site.. maybe you could even stop in the chat room... and visit.. all the ladies are happy to help and answer questions...

you must remember to , , and

Unread 06-05-2002, 01:54 PM
Can I handle this alone?

Hi Toni,

I too am independent and healthy. If someone would have come in every day or two to pick up things that I dropped (no bending) and do some of the heavy stuff, I could have gotten by on my own. I am sure you will do fine.

Just have your food made up ahead and have lots of drinks, books, and videos. I have found the worst so far has been boredom.

Good luck.

Caren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2002, 02:38 PM
Hi Toni

While I do have my daughter living with me (she moved in specifically to take care of me), I might as well be by myself. The second night after I returned home from the hospital, she went to an all night part, didn't get home until 5 p.m. the next day, then turned around and went to another friend's house until after midnight. And that's been pretty much the way it is. She works all day, then when she gets home, she's out the door to visit her buddies. (She's 20, but acts like she's 14 most of the time!)

Anyway, you can survive on your own. I had a TAH May 23. Before the surgery, I was so afraid that I would be helpless, unable to get out of bed by myself, be unable to get out of my recliner by myself, unable to even get off the toilet by myself, unable to cook for myself, etc. My fears were unfounded. I have had no problems with any of these areas from my first day home. The only thing I will not do is take a shower unless my daughter is home. She does the cleaning for me and the laundry, but even in that area, I can dust, and wipe off the kitchen and bathroom counters and other things. I can even bend down to pick things up that I've dropped (more like squatting though, not bending over.)

A couple of tips that might help. Stock up on easy to fix meals ahead of time, I'm on a diet (perpetually), so filled the freezer with Lean Cuisines and the cabinets with soup and other low fat, high fiber, easy to prepare foods.

Get all of your cleaning and laundry done ahead of time. Then, if you can afford to, hire someone to come in to clean for you and if, they will, to do the laundry (try individuals rather than a service, they're usually cheaper.) Or better yet, if friends ask if they can help, put them to work. (I told all my friends that if they ask if they can help, they'd better be ready to back up that offer.) Also see if someone can get groceries for you, if you need to get some. And don't sweat the small stuff. If it doesn't get done, it just doesn't get done.

Prepare your recovery area ahead of time too. I borrowed a small TV/VCR combo from a guy at work, set up a table next to my bed with it and videos, books, water bottles, my medicine, telephone, and rigged up my lamp to where I could just flip the switch off on the table. To be honest, though, I've spent more time in my recliner than I have in bed.

You will be surprised at how much you can get around. I was even out of the house and having lunch with my Mom after 1 week. Just DON'T overdo it!!!! You're body will tell you about it later if you do.

s,

Lisa
Unread 06-05-2002, 03:10 PM
Can I handle this alone?

Hi Toni ,
i see you're having your surgery the day after I am. I just wanted to tell you that about 3 months ago a friend of mine ,who lives alone with a very large misbehaved dog. She had help the first week , and seemed to do fine after that .Inspite of her bad girl.
Good luck to you !
Unread 06-05-2002, 03:12 PM
Can I handle this alone?

oops , brain fog.... i meant to say my friend with the bad dog had an abdominal hysterectomy.. I believe she kept her ovaries.
DOH!
Unread 06-05-2002, 03:26 PM
Can I handle this alone?

I had a SAH back in September. Surgery on Friday, came home on Sunday. My DH stayed home with me the first 5 days (and drove me crazy). The real question that you need to ask your doc is when he/she anticipates allowing you to drive. I was not permitted to drive for 2 weeks, which made me very dependent on others.

But for just sitting around and relaxing, I would have been ok by myself right away - I did not want anyone bothering me.
Unread 06-05-2002, 07:18 PM
Can I handle this alone?

Thanks to everyone for the advice, but mostly for reassurances. You've just taken a huge load off my mind.

I had heard that I wouldn't be able to do much cleaning (especially vacuuming) but I hadn't realized that laundry would be a no-no as well. I guess I'll just get everything clean before I go in. And lots of easy to prepare/reheat food is such an excellent suggestion. Thanks for those!

Hi Ashly, I forgot to mention that I also have a dog (who will stay with a co-worker while I'm in the "castle"), but she's a very good dog, and I have a fenced yard, so I didn't anticipate that as being a problem. Plus, I figure the unconditional love of a dog can only help with my recovery.

Thanks again everyone!

Toni
Unread 06-05-2002, 10:36 PM
Can I handle this alone?

Toni,

Welcome to this wonderful site. I remember the girls saying to put often used items that are high on shelves down lower so reaching won't be a problem. Also, see if you can get a script for pain meds before your surgery so you'll have them at home when you first arrive. After a week you should be OK, except for supplies and grocery shopping.(driving)
Ya, your doggie should be a great comfort. Bless our pets.
Best regards,

Maralyn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register