ready for surgery tomorrow, keep one ovary? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ready for surgery tomorrow, keep one ovary? ready for surgery tomorrow, keep one ovary?

Unread 06-06-2002, 08:02 AM
ready for surgery tomorrow, keep one ovary?

I finally ot my insurance approval to go ahead w/TAH. Talked to my doctor about my ovaries. He suggested taking out the cervix and uterus and my left ovary since it is the one that is always hurting. He asked whether I want to keep my right ovary. I don't know. I've never had any problem with it. I don't think I've ever even ovualted from that one. If I have him take it out, then he would put me on premarin and I wouldn't have to worry about my moof swings, MS, etc. If I keep it, then it may not work well enough to provide me w/the hormones I need and I'll have to go on HRT anyway. It sounds like either way, I'm taking a chance. I don't know. I have until tomorrow morning to decide. Of course, if he sees endo in there. he will remove them both anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2002, 09:22 AM
Hi Meg

to you and best wishes with your upcoming surgery.
As you are still quite young, I would strongly encourage you to keep your one ovary as long as it looks good to the doc when he is in there. Even one ovary can provide you with needed hormones and delay HRT for many years to come.
If for some reason the ovary doesn't wake back up after surgery or isn't functioning properly you can always add HRT if needed.
Unfortunately, regulating hormones and moods isn't always as easy as just taking a Premarin pill each morning. For some women it is, but for many it isn't. Being able to use what God gave you, your ovary, would be the optimum choice.
I suggest you visit the Hormone Jungle to become familiar with what some of the HRT choices and balancing issues are. Here is the link:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for....php?forumid=5
While some women do well on Premarin there are new bio-identical estrogens available on the market today. They mimic the estrogen our body naturally produces and many women do better on them. Some women need to work with doctor's who specialize in hormones after their surgery.
I am sure you will get some more input here.
Good luck in your decision.
Unread 06-06-2002, 12:31 PM

I don't have any advise but wanted to send a your way and say "Good luck" tomorrow.
Let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it.

Kerri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Hi Meg,

Just wanted to pop in and give you a and let you know that you'll be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

My TAH was two weeks ago today, and I kept both my ovaries. My doctor and I had an agreement that if they looked okay, I'd keep them. Since I'm only 39, I didn't want to have to deal with HRT now.

Anyway, best wishes tomorrow, and we'll see you "on the other side."

Lisa
Unread 06-06-2002, 01:58 PM

I've had the discussion about whether to keep my ovaries or not with my family doctor & diet doctor but not my ob/gyn yet. They both recommended that I should keep my ovaries even if it is just one. I have a cyst on my left ovary so they may need to take that. They both said it is best to keep even just one ovary if you have a choice.

Good luck tomorrow & making this decision. I know it is a very tough desicion!

Becky
Unread 06-06-2002, 02:18 PM
Good Luck

Hey Meg!
Hope this finds you well and not too nervous about tomorrow. I am 32 and when I went into surgery, I wasn't sure if I would be able to keep my ovaries or not. My doc was adament on keeping them if they looked good, because of my age. I came out with both of mine and so far they are ok. We will just keep a watch on them as ovarian cancer runs on my dad's side of the family. This was a hard decision for me to make, so I just left it up to my doctor. I was relieved to know, that at least for now, no HRT. I hope that everything goes well for you tomorrow, let us know how you are and how everything went when you can.

Hugs,
Moe

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register