question? (long ...sorry) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question? (long ...sorry) question? (long ...sorry)

Unread 06-06-2002, 10:15 AM
question? (long ...sorry)

hi...

It has taken me awhile before i have been able to venture over to this section of the site. but it hsa been eating at me too long and i just have to ask a question.

I had a D&C and hysteroscopy done on May 1st (for heavy periods/very large clots/anemia) the pathology came back as: (I am going to write it word for word because this is so new to me)...

"-Endometrial polyps with complex endometrial hyperplasia without atypia with prominent squamous metaplasia (morule formation).
-Fragments of secretory endometrium with predecidual transformation of the stroma.
Comment: Some of the fragments have smooth muscle in the stroma, raising the possibility of the entity atypical adenomyoma."

When my DR was telling me the results he told me that i was in a high pre-cancerous state and that i have three options: 1. do nothing (which he did not recommend but said it is always my choice as it is my body. Which i happened to appreicate this attitude!) 2. take BC pills (which i can not do because it cause thyriod problems for me and he really didn't recommend anyways) or 3. have a hysterectomy (he highly recommended)

I asked him what he would do if it was he wife and he said he would do the hysterectomy. He then proceeded to tell me that if he put me in a room with 10 other people that he could strongly bet i would be the one to come out with cancer.

I told him to take it out. He is planning on doing a TVH and leaving the ovaries. I have had many years of bad paps, cone biopsies, freezings and what have you.

After rambling on for a bit...finally my question is... i thought that atypical meant non-cancerous.. am i wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2002, 11:04 AM

s hischickie

I'm glad you finally got the courage to venture into cancer concerns. You will probably get some very sound advice.
Atypical only means : not typical. Or not normal. It does not mean not cancerous.
My main advice to you would be to get a second opinion from a gyn oncology surgeon. They are gyn docs trained specifically to deal with situations such as your own. Most insurance companies are more than happy to pay for a second opinion. Have your gyn doc or your primary doc recommend a gyn oncology surgery that you can see.
Stay in touch with us now that you have visited. We all care for and support one another on this site!!!!

karenann
Unread 06-06-2002, 07:44 PM

Welcome Hischickie!!!

I'm glad you've ventured into the CC forum. These medical terms can be nerve-wracking and trying to figure out what exactly the doc is saying can make one just a bit daffy!!!

As Karenann said, it would be good, for peace of mind, if nothing else, to get a second opinion from a gyn oncologist before yoru surgery. It is useful to know what all your options are and whether any treatment beyond the surgery will be required. Sometimes, they also recomend a second pathology consult. It took 3 pathology reports before I finally got an accurate diagnosis (My gyn onc made #2 and #3 talk to each other with him on the phone...)

Please let us know how you are doing and how your pre-op consults go. All the posters in this forum worry when someone goes "awol" .

a big

Dorrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2002, 06:31 AM
Thanks

Thanks so much for the replies!!

I will make an appointment for a 2nd opinion with a gyn oncologist.... hopefully I can get in before my surgery and it is not too far away. Sometimes living in podunk Maine has its drawbacks...LOL.
Unread 06-07-2002, 06:33 AM

Hi !

Good idea. Gyn-oncs are used to quick appointments. Mine had me in within 2 days for a consult. Explain your situation to the office nurse - be firm, but sweet. You may need to do some legwork to get all your test results etc gathered together.

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register