Pain and PJ's questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain and PJ's questions Pain and PJ's questions

Unread 06-07-2002, 06:55 PM
Pain and PJ's questions

For years I've been through treatment for heavy periods. Starting with a male doctor when I was in my early 20's that said "Honey, all women have heavy flow, they just don't like it. get use to it." Well, I was so intimidated that I didn't do anything and suffered for years. Now, I have a great doctor who has tried everything short of a TAH to help me and finally we made the decision that this was the best choice for me.

So, only six days to go for my TAH, but I've spent the last two months being anxious, or pretending that this isn't going to happen. I was blessed with being short staffed at work, a house remodeling project in the middle stages, great family support, and a slow internet connection that keeps me logged on to hystersisters for hours that has kept my mind off it all.

Any suggestions for someone who generally gets sick when taking pain meds? I also have pj's that are like a loose short set, would they not be a good idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2002, 07:06 PM
Pain and PJ's questions

Hi!! Sounds like you are doing things right...keeping busy, doing stuff to keep your mind occupied, and most importantly, hanging out here!!!!

Your PJs sound perfect...the key is comfortable, loose, and easy on/off.

If you have trouble with pain meds, DEFINITELY speak to both your surgeon and the anthesiologist and tell them you want anti-nausea medications IN YOUR IV before you wake up!! Insist on this. They can and will do it, and it will make a world a difference in how you feel and react to the pain meds. If you feel sick, tell anyone and everyone, until they get you something that makes you feel better!! It's really critical to be your own advocate, and if you know about it beforehand, it's much easier to be prepared.

Keep reading and posting, and we'll get you through these last few days. Then you'll be on your way to a healthier happier life!!!

Karen
Unread 06-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Pain and PJ's questions

Hi Smile

Ditto to what Karen said. Definitely discuss the pain med situation with the docs. I had the anti-nausea med in my IV and had no problem. But also have not had a problem previously either.

The short set sounds nice and cool. I liked using a short gown the first week or so as well. Nothing to have to reach down and pull up.

Sounds like you have done a great job of keeping busy, Keep it up for a few more days. You'll soon be on the other side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2002, 08:56 PM
Pains and Pj's

Tell all doctors and nurses and especially the anesthesiologist
that you have a tendency for nausesa.
You don't want a lot of throwing up right after sugery.
Nausea meds can be put into your I.V. drip.
Most likely you'll be somewhat nauseas from the ansethesia
but that will be as minimal as possible if you tell everyone
you need anti nausea meds in your op. I.V.

As for PJ's Loose and looser is best. I had to buy undies a
size bigger than usual to wear my pad.
The high topped undies that ride up real high at the waist
are best. you won't be wanting any elastic from bikini
undies at all.
Same with pant bottoms. Get a BIG size. I thought my
loose jogging pants would be fine and even that was
too tight from the swelling and tenderness.
A nice mid calf length gown is very comfey.
I also like huge Flannel shirts with buttons on the front.
They are very convenient when you get a hot flash.
Unbotton the front, wait for the hot flash to pass and
then button up again when the post flash chill begins
to set in. I also have slept with a towel under me
at home in the bed. Very helpful for hot flashes in the
night.
You will definately appreciate the comfort of an extra
large size what ever fashion choice you make for
your post op attire.
Oh yes.........and really soft cotton................
Unread 06-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Pain and PJ's questions

I know that I get severe vomiting from surgery even with the anti-nausea meds given during surgery & recovery. This is my biggest fear with this surgery! I talked to the surgeon who is doing the gallbladder portion of the operation about this & he told me to talk to the anesthesiologist. I will be telling my ob/gyn too so that he is aware of the problem I have. I obtained a list of everything I received on my last surgery in the OR, OR Recovery Room & Outpatient Recovery where I had so much problems. I was told that list will be real helpful to the anesthesiologist in trying to figure out what made me so sick so he can avoid that particular med. If you had surgery before & had problems, I would try to get those medical records showing what meds you received then that made you sick! They might be able to avoid a repeat performance. (At least I hope so!)

Becky
Unread 06-08-2002, 03:55 AM
pain meds

I am allergic to narcotic pain meds.
I DID wake up with a morphine pump but after a few hours of being sick <even with the anti nausea> I demanded that the morphine be stopped. I requested Toridol injections for pain relief. I learned about it here. It is an anit-inflammatory and I did great on it. Only pain meds for home was Motrin and I am doing fine.
As far as PJ's, I prefer short nighties as it was difficult the first few days to try and pull anything up.
My first week at home, I wore a t-shirt and panties. LOL Anything to be comfortable!
Unread 06-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Pain and PJ's questions

I too have had problems before with vomitting due to pain meds and anaesthesia and completely agree with my sisters - talk with the anaesthetist about your concerns. My TAH was 4 days ago and I experienced no vomitting and not even nausea. My A woman said that she would add stuff but also that anaesthesia had changed dramatically since my last general (12 yrs ago) and that could make a difference.

I also was really judicious with the PCA and used it rarely. Luckily, in my case, there wasn't alot of pain to be dealt with. My fear of nausea was probably my biggest concern going in, so I really think I understand what you're going through.

I pretty much stayed in the gown the hospital provided since my IV was in for awhile and it was much easier to get on and off.
I was happy to have a beautiful (lightweight) gown to put over it for my walks.

Now that I'm home I'm living in little Tshirts and BIG drawstring pants and shorts. And, don't tell anyone, but I'm not wearing any underwear! It just seems more trouble than it's worth. But, unlike alot of my sisters, I have had no flow or spotting whatsoever since surgery, so I got off lucky.

Best wishes to you, Smile. You can do it!

Cecee
Unread 06-08-2002, 07:46 PM
Pain and PJ's questions

I want to thank all of you who responded to my question. I will take information of my past meds with me. In my last surgery they finally used some med that they use with patients with cancer during treatments and it seemed to work. I don't remember the name of it, and never thought to have it looked up in my charts. Thanks for the advice.

I didn't realize how comforting it would be to hear from you all. I am so greatful and thankful for the support. I can't wait to be back from the castle and post my wonderful news of recovery.
Unread 06-08-2002, 11:01 PM
Pain and PJ's questions

About P'J. I got these really cute P'J's from Shop ko. They are like flannel with cocnut glass , friut drink ect..very festive the top is a little shorter with small strapes. I got them 3 sizes too big, but they have a draw string....

They were great. The following day after surgery I put them on, I was able to put both hands in and rub my poor tummy. walk around in the halls and also travel home in them I got so many compliment plus they are so comfortable. Ok..I'm not following princess advise. I will long off and go get some rest...Treat yourself well.

I also had a pedicure, and my nail done why just cause I wanted to feel better at the hospital...Lots of Luck and Love.......
Unread 06-09-2002, 05:01 AM
Nausea Too

Hi all

I've had the same nausea problems - I haven't yet woken up from a surgery without puking for days. I'm most afraid of that because I will be having a vertical incision and boy does it hurt like the dickens to with that!

I talked with my Dr. about it and like yours - he said medications have greatly improved in the last few years, which is good, since I've had allergic reactions to some of the anti-nausea meds too! My last surgery was 4 years ago and that they have even better stuff now. He told me to tell the A man in the hospital and to ask for Vitamin Z and Milk. I don't know what the Milk is, but I do know that the Vitamin Z is Zofran - my husband had that in January when he had his knees operated on and it worked wonderfully. I'm going to think positive thoughts and visualize this one surgery as the one where we finally break the barrier and don't throw up!

And BTW, I went and got my new nighties yesterday. At Sears, I found the cutest drawstring waist outfit with little frogs all over it and some of them are wearing crowns. The top has a crowned frog and it says Kiss Me!

Good Luck - I'll pray for all my nauseous sisters that they will be un-pukeable!!

Elaine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register