Hi all, another newbie here in desparate need of some advice ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi all, another newbie here in desparate need of some advice ?? Hi all, another newbie here in desparate need of some advice ??

Thread Tools
Unread 06-10-2002, 12:51 AM
Hi all, another newbie here in desparate need of some advice ??

Hi, My name is Stefanie and I'm 29yrs old. I have been a military wife for 11 years and counting. I started having abnormal paps in February of 2000,and for at least the first 2, they were ASCUS. Well from then on, I have had 1 AGUS and around 4 LSIL. I have had 4 Colposcopies and biopsies. All Biopsies were coming back normal, until now. I just had my latest Colposcopy, biopsy and ECC done 3 weeks ago and was I ever shocked with the results!
So was my doc because while my last pap (2may) came back HSIL,
He fully expected that I would be needing a LEEP, and then, regular folllow up. Instead, He called DH and I back into his office this past Thurs. to tell us that I have Adenocarcinoma in-situ. He also says He doesn't think I have any invasive cancer, but he can't promise me that I don't, because there could be other leisions up there that he won't be able to see until I have a Vaginal hysterectomy. He scheduled a cone biopsy for this weds(12 jun) and says we will know for sure by friday at the latest whether or not it is invasive. Here is my dilema, and I really don't know what to do! DH has his orders to move to a new base in August. We are being packed up on 22 july and are supposed to leave this area for our new state, base, etc. Aug 1. Doc wants to operate A WEEK before we are scheduled to leave the base!! I'm okay with having the hyster done at the next base, but Doc wants us to delay the move so he can operate here and I can recover fully here before moving. The thing is, My son will be starting 2nd grade on Sept 3rd at his new school, and if doc has his way, poor kiddo will have to start school HERE, go for about a month, then be yanked out of this school, miss another week or so while in transit, and start at a brand new school that has already begun the new year! I'm very protective and I hate the mere thought of putting him through this. Everyone says I should be thinking of ME and MY health right now, but being a mom of my now permanent only child, it is programmed in my head to put him first. Also, I don't want to be incopassatated(sp?) and unable to help him adjust to the new everything. He 's a smart kid and DH says he'll back me up in whatever decision I make because after all this is MY body, but I'm at a loss as to what to do. I mean come on... a move, while we're used to doing that every few years is stressful, but now throw a cancer diagnosis and impending major surgery into the mix and I'm one big ball of anxiety waiting to explode! What would you do if you were in my situation? Please?? Any advice or even "calm down girl" would be most welcome now. Thank you for letting me endlessly blither away like this. This website is a definate godsend!! Thanks to the creators!


Adenocarcinoma in-situ w/ impending VH SOON! :confuse:
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-10-2002, 04:26 AM

First, let's get that cone biopsy out of the way so you have a real solid idea of whether or not it's invasive. Then you'll have more facts to work with. Right now, I'd say it's time to put yourself first here. If you have to start your son in school there, take out, and lost time in transit before restarting him in school, do you have access to counselors who can help prepare him for the moving around--or could you contact the new school he'd be going to ahead of time and explain the situation so they'll understand he'll be coming under less than good circumstances? Glad you have the supportive husband. My advice is to go one step at a time right now and get the biopsy results and work from there with the doctor.
Unread 06-10-2002, 05:11 AM
Hi all, another newbie here in desparate need of some advice ??

Hi Stefanie!

Welcome to Hystersisters! I'm so sorry you are having to go through this in the midst of a move as well. I'm a military brat and I remember some of the moves very well indeed.

I would agree wholeheartedly with Margaret, take one step at a time. I know, especially given the circumstances you'd like to plan ahead but getting before you know "for sure" what you are dealing with the results from the cone have to come in.

I wish you well and hope the results come back better than anticipated. Keep us posted on how things go when you can. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.


Sponsored Links
Unread 06-10-2002, 06:35 AM
Hi all, another newbie here in desparate need of some advice ??

s Stef

I am a firm believer in gyn oncology surgeons. They are surgeons who specialize in all gynocologic cancers or suspected cancers. Is this type specialist available in the military?
If not, would it be possible for your own gyn to do the surgery any sooner?
So that perhaps you could be recovered by the end of August and your son could start at his new school in time?
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Unread 06-10-2002, 07:35 AM
Hi all, another newbie here in desparate need of some advice ??

Hi Stef, I'm so sorry to hear you've got so much happening to you right now. I just wanted to let you know that you found a great site for support. The women here are remarkable.

I agree with Karenann, get yourself a gyn/onc specialist if at all possible. Then push to have it done sooner rather than later. It was 9 days from my diagnosis of cancer to my surgery. That seemed like an eternity for me, I'm so glad I didn't have to wait any longer.

Good Luck to you and keep us posted!

Unread 06-10-2002, 09:30 AM
Hi all, another newbie here in desparate need of some advice ??

i was a military brat growing up and due to my father position I dealt with many many moves (I went to 3 high schools in one school year). I just wanted to assure of this... kids are very resilent especially at your sons age. You have a very supportive husband.

I agree that you should concentrate on yourself right now, even if that means going for another opinion at at gyn/onc. You do want to be there for your son (and husband) in the long run and you only have one you so you have to take care of it.
Unread 06-10-2002, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the comforting words=)

I just don't know how to put myself first, when all I ever worry about is my family. I tell ya, this couldn't have hapened at a worse time! Only a month and a half before the move! Well, my pre -op is tomorrow and the cone is on Weds, so I guess it's more blasted waiting for me......Yay!! Hahaha!

Thanks again and I will post more after the biopsy, heck probably more today even!

Adenocarcinoma in-situ w/ impending simple VH
Unread 06-10-2002, 08:24 PM

Hi! I am glad you posted here on cancer concerns. sss to you. I would also support the opinion of a gyn-oncologist. As well as, get your biopsy back first. I know it is hard waiting. Go from there. Just to let you know, it is so easy to focus on the stage, the type, when the surgery will be, etc... but you will really need to think about your recovery as well. It is very important to really stay down and recover properly. No lifting, strenuous exercise, etc... (listen to your Doctor) for the full six weeks! (maybe even longer, depending upon your body) I had to move about six weeks after my surgery. I am truly inclined to believe it is partially the cause of my nerve damage and adhesions. They are both keeping me from my life as I knew it. They are painful as well. I simply did too much too soon. I picked up my baby too soon, I went up and down stairs too soon, and now I am paying the price. Please, Please, whatever you do, do not schedule surgery a few weeks before a move!!! You need the time, emotionally and physically. Maybe when you find out your biopsy results, you can find a gyn-oncologist by the new base. That is my best advice to you. You will be in my prayers and thoughts!
Unread 06-11-2002, 11:19 AM
Hi all, another newbie here in desparate need of some advice ??

I was diagnosed with AIS in November 2001. I skipped the cone and went straight for the TVH. Lucky I did-It was already stage 1A adenocarcinoma. If you are having a cone and the margins are clear you can probably wait a few weeks for the hyster. The quality of doctors would be my biggest concern.

I moved 2 weeks after my hyster and have a child going into second grade. We have a lot in common.

Unread 06-13-2002, 11:48 PM

It sounds like this is reason to get your husband and extension on his transfer or for him to take a LEGAL medical leave of absence to take care of you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
7 Replies, Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues
12 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
3 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
2 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
1 Reply, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
3 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
8 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
16 Replies, Prayer Requests for Hyster Sisters
3 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
4 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives


Hysterectomy News

July 13,2020


HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive


Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays

Request Information

I am a HysterSister


Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours


Your Hysterectomy Date

CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  

$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!