Realistic expectations of upcoming hysterectomy recovery on 8/31?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Realistic expectations of upcoming hysterectomy recovery on 8/31?? Realistic expectations of upcoming hysterectomy recovery on 8/31??

Unread 08-11-2016, 08:46 AM
Realistic expectations of upcoming hysterectomy recovery on 8/31??

I have a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy scheduled for the end of the month and I have had 2 c-sections and an abdominal myometomy how does the recovery time differ? I was walking the day of each of the above procedures and out and about in 2 weeks later, how will this procedure recovery differ. I know everyone is different but I would love to have an idea if what to expect, I have heard people talk about the fatigue and how they needed the full 6 weeks to recover and I was hoping to be able to take a trip to see my daughter 2 weeks later and to be able to work a bit from home, please let me know if these are unreasonable expectations??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Re: Realistic expections of recovery??

Unfortunately, since revoveries vary so much, it's hard to totally predict. You should be up and walking around from the start, like with your other surgeries. At 2 weeks, I felt I could have returned to desk work. I was never severely fatigued. My pain was down to zero with Aleve. However, at the other end of things, some women have more pain and fatigue than I experienced, and it's hard to guess how you'll fall on the continuum. Your plans are likely realistic, but I'd have a plan B in case your recovery doesn't go as planned.
Unread 08-11-2016, 10:13 AM

I had a C section 16 years ago and my hysterectomy was a laparoscopic (DaVinci) vaginal hysterectomy. Comparing the two, I would say my recovery from this was easier in the sense I did not have a large weeping incision to worry about! I was also less exhausted from the standpoint of not recovering from pregnancy and labor.

After reading recovery stories on here, I was kind of prepared for the worst. I was expecting to be in bad pain and lots of gas and shoulder pain...the whole shebang. But it was actually somewhat easier than I expected--I was showering the day I came home (day after surgery), and the worst side effect I had, the most annoying anyway, was blurred vision from the anesthesia and pain meds. That went away for good when I stopped taking narcotics.

That said, I still had to rest in bed for a solid two weeks. I got up to use the bathroom, shower, and take short walks around the house, but I didn't push myself. I figured that unlike a c section, I didn't have a baby to care for (DH took two weeks off work, and most of my kids are old enough to help around the house), so I took it easy as possible. Laying flat on my back was a lot more comfortable than sitting, even on a sofa, so there was that.

The day before my two week post op appointment I felt up to walking down to our library (.2 miles there) and back. I was wiped, but it felt good, so I figured I was recovering pretty well. After my appointment I was cleared to walk for exercise, and I started walking at our track, up to a mile at a time. I was a runner before surgery, so I'm working my way back up to that. I worked on being in very good shape before the surgery, and I think that helped my recovery.

2 weeks after, I would have been up for a car trip, maybe up to an hour in the car. But it would have totally exhausted me for a couple of days afterwards. I still have afternoons where I just lay down and rest, if I was active the day before. But using a laptop to work at home would be quite feasible, depending on what kind of pain meds you're still on at that time.

Again, as others have mentioned, recovery varies on the individual. And what you don't want to do is "power through" any pain or discomfort--my doctor told me if something hurts, it means I'm doing too much, and to stop. You get one chance to heal well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2016, 06:25 PM

Everyone is so different. I was up and walking the same day as surgery, and walked a lot the next day when I went home. I went out pretty much every day, even the first week. I felt really good. I drove at a week and went back to work 3 weeks after my tah.
Unread 08-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Re: Realistic expectations of upcoming hysterectomy recovery on 8/31??

Hi there! As you are aware and everyone is saying, there is no one size fits all for recovery. For me, I walked as much as I comfortably could after surgery. I was pretty much shuffling around the house the first week for about 5-10 minutes each time I got up to go to the bathroom, since it was still a little odd for me to try and stand straight, but in addition to the keyholes, I had a 3" bikini incision. I was walking more outside the second week and also doing some work from home part-time on the couch. The third week I was increasing the time that I spent outside walking and still working part-time from home on the couch. I wasn't sitting at a table. During this time, I could rest when I needed to, so it wasn't too bad.

When I did go back to the office part-time, the fourth week, the fatigue kicked in for me. I was not used to sitting straight at a desk for 4 hours and staying focused on doing work. This exhausted me and when I got home took a long nap. It got better as the week went on. As you increase your activities, your body will need more rest. The fourth week I went back to work full-time and still felt fatigued some evenings and had to take a nap sometimes when I got home.

Depending upon how you feel, it is possible to work from home. Timing on when you go back to the office is a different story, but you will figure that out as you go through recovery and determine what you may feel up to doing. While it is possible for you to visit your daughter, just be aware that you may be napping and resting part of the time that you are there.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
Unread 08-12-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala74 View Post
I have a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy scheduled for the end of the month and I have had 2 c-sections and an abdominal myometomy how does the recovery time differ? I was walking the day of each of the above procedures and out and about in 2 weeks later, how will this procedure recovery differ. I know everyone is different but I would love to have an idea if what to expect, I have heard people talk about the fatigue and how they needed the full 6 weeks to recover and I was hoping to be able to take a trip to see my daughter 2 weeks later and to be able to work a bit from home, please let me know if these are unreasonable expectations??
I don't think it's unreasonable, but be prepared to change plans if you're not up to it. My surgery was all laparo, with uterus removed through a 2" or so belly button incision - minimally invasive. I was a passenger for a 2-1/2 hour trip 11 days post-op (plus return trip two days later). During that weekend, I treated myself to some personal shopping. Despite the many rests I took while shopping, I fell asleep at 7pm that night.

Working... I've got a part time desk job (6 hours). I returned to work 2 weeks post op at reduced hours (4 instead of 6) during the short week following Memorial Day. With abs muscles pretty much out of the picture, my back ached every day, plus it was stressful that first week. (Sitting is very different than reclining, I learned.) If I had to hit the rewind button, I'd stay out for another week. In a home environment, you might be able to bring a laptop to your easy chair and work. That's how I did computer stuff at home for a while.
Best wishes, and rest well!
Unread 08-20-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala74 View Post
I had the same procedure, and same history. I worked from home starting on day 6 and went back to work on day 14. My recliner was my friend as that was the most comfy position and I just had my laptop on a pillow! I took ibuprofen 600mg every 6 hours for about a week, then just at night and not at all after ten days or so. I walked every few hours for about 10-15 minutes. It's weird to feel cramping, but it was helpful to read this blog and know that my cramping feeling was normal. My bowels functioned normally, which I was worried about!
I feel pretty much back to normal as I write this on day 18 post surgery.
Good luck!
Unread 08-20-2016, 05:29 PM

First - there is no "one size fits all" with a hysterectomy. Many things can happen that will affect you differently. I had a c-section 27 years ago. I am 46 and ran 15 - 20 miles a week before surgery. I have ran 10 half marathons and 1 full. Yet, my LAVH kicked my butt! However, I had an infection at week 1 and was put in antibiotics and then again at week 3 and was put on another antibiotic. I am 6 weeks post op and, although I am walking normally now, that didn't happen until well into week 4. I still have swelly belly and I can't sleep on my side. My belly swells more on some days at work and hurts on some days as well.
Unread 08-21-2016, 09:06 AM

I had a LAVH last week (the 11th of August) My c-section was 30 years ago, but I think that affects where they stick their little probe things. All my "holes" are straight across, 5 in total with one right above my belly button.
I was standing beside my bed the first day. I thought I was tethered to the bed by my foley. The day I left, I found out I could have brought it with me, LOL, carrying it like a little yellow purse!. Anyway,here are my biggest complaints because why NOT complain .
1. While it's true, I ended up hating the line "everyone's different". In other words, they couldn't answer my questions other than to say "that's normal after surgery"
2. I had big troubles urinating and ended up getting catheters in and out of me for about 24 hours until I wanted to hit someone. They finally sent me home with a foley for 4 days. Not comfy, but better than having a nurse knock on the door every 3 minutes saying "Did you pee yet, honey?"
3. The abdominal gas is uncomfortable. I don't even know why I have it because I don't think they pump anything with air that could get into the colon. And I had no problems with bowel movements. But the gas makes me wince and go back to my lamaze breathing.
4. My abdomen feels like I did 200 sit ups yesterday but each day feels a little better.Initially, sneezing and coughing were awful. I thought everything was going to come out -- but then, there was nothing TO come out.
All in all, I'm a week and a half past the surgery. My post op is tomorrow but I don't think they'll have the biopsy back yet (had level one endometrial)
I'm guessing you'll do just fine but have your own issues. You might be able to void, but not have a bowel movement, for instance. Hang in there. This too shall pass

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register