Hysteroscopic Myomectomy OR Hysterectomy (UPDATED) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysteroscopic Myomectomy OR Hysterectomy (UPDATED) Hysteroscopic Myomectomy OR Hysterectomy (UPDATED)

Unread 08-19-2016, 07:31 PM
Hysteroscopic Myomectomy OR Hysterectomy (UPDATED)

So I have a horrible fibroid that has been bleeding -- sometimes very heavily -- for the last two months. I go in for a level 2 ultrasound on Thursday to find out if it's far enough into the uterine cavity for it to be taken out through a hysteroscopic myomectomy. If it's not far enough in, the doctor will recommend a laparoscopic hysterectomy (uterus only).

At first I was really scared about having the hysterectomy, but as I've gotten used to the idea, I'm wondering if it wouldn't actually be preferable to the hysteroscopic myomectomy. I know the myomectomy has a much shorter recovery time, but I'm wondering if I'm going to end up dealing with the same horrible bleeding in the near future from another fibroid.

I'm 44 and have no interest in having any more children.

Any thoughts from people who have maybe had both procedures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2016, 08:32 AM
Re: Hysteroscopic Myomectomy OR Hysterectomy

(Pregnancy / Childbirth mentioned) I saw your question last night but held off answering because I've never had a myomectomy. I can only speak from the hysterectomy side. So, the brief version of my story:

I'd had one fibroid for about 18 years, first noticed during pregnancy, shrank to not noticeable after delivery. During my annual exam my doctor noted it yearly, and as conventional wisdom goes, he advised that it's likely to shrink after menopause. At age 51 I was not yet menopausal. I finally got off the BC pill last November at age 53. Doc measured the fibroid at 5cm. I helld off on any HRT for bone support just to see what my body would do. Well, periods came anywhere from 13-54 days apart, heavy, and unlike what I used to have in cycles. In March I made an appointment for irregular heavy bleeding, and doc did an ultrasound. The rogue fibroid had doubled in size to 10cm (4") and he found at least two more sizeable ones. He recommended a hysterectomy given my age. While he didn't say it, I think his 40 years of experience gave him an idea that there were more. He's been my doctor for 25 years and is not one to perform unnecessary procedures, so I accepted his recommendation. As it turns out, I had upwards of 15 fibroids. I kept my ovaries and cervix...so I still have no idea whether I'm menopausal .

A hysterectomy is permanent, healing time is definitely longer, there can be complications, but there are also numerous success stories. My surgery and recovery have been textbook, and I will not have to deal with fibroids returning, unless I'm one of those rare birds who gets a cervical fibroid (they are rare).

There is a forum for Alternative Success Stories, and just looking at the titles, I think you'll find a number of Sisters who went the myomectomy route. You're wise to research and this is a great site to do it!

Unread 08-20-2016, 10:38 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. The biggest thing that worries me about the hysterectomy is the recovery time -- I've got two busy kids and a husband with a demanding job. So, in that way the hysteroscopic myomectomy is tempting. But I just worry that, in the long run, I'll have to have a second procedure if I don't bite the bullet now and get the hysterectomy.

Thanks for your insights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2016, 02:29 PM

No time is a good time to schedule, that's for sure. Hubs might be able to take leave under the FMLA - my husband almost pursued that, but decided to use vacation days (easier). How old are your kids? If they've got a lot of activities, you'll have to rely on other parents to take them. So often people want to help, but they don't know how, and something like this would be easy for them.

Recovery requires a lot of rest, and for several weeks no bending, pushing, pulling, reaching, there are lifting restrictions and you won't be driving right away. So yes, family will have to step up to the plate because you won't be able to do laundry, vacuum or even pushing the garbage can out to the curb. If your boys are old enough, this is an opp for them to pitch in and learn how to do some things. I made a lot of freezer meals in advance, and that helped. A few days post op (like 3-4) I was able to prep veggies and steam them - I just had to have someone get the pots and pans for me.

You might find this free booklet helpful, What 350,000 Women Know.... It starts pre-op and goes through recovery.
Unread 08-20-2016, 03:27 PM

I so dislike having to rely on other people -- but I think I'm going to have to get used to the idea.....Thanks for the support!
Unread 08-20-2016, 04:30 PM

Last year I had a hysteroscopic myomectomy and ablation and four weeks ago I had a hysterectomy. For me the recovery from the myomectomy was super easy. I was only off work for a week (scheduled a week but could have went back in a few days) with a couple restrictions (bathing, sex) for a couple more weeks.

Although I ended up with the hysterectomy, I am glad I went the minimal route the first round. I didn't know about my endometriosis at the time and that I'd go for the hsyterectomy later. The hysterectomy recovery has been better than expected but a month out I still have activity, bathing and weight restrictions. I am back to work (desk job) but crash the moment I get home. Thankful my hubby is picking up the slack.

Best of luck deciding what is best for you.
Unread 08-20-2016, 04:33 PM

It's good to hear you have no regrets about your chosen path! Definitely gives me something to think about.....

Good luck in your continued recovery.
Unread 08-20-2016, 04:39 PM

I tried uterine ablation for heavy bleeding first, knowing that if this didn't work, hysterectomy was the next option. We discussed myomectomy, but for me it wasn't going to fix the problem, just band-aid it, I felt. (heavy, clotty periods, etc.). The fibroids could grow back. I didn't want to keep having procedures, so I opted for the Laproscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy.
The ablation did zero for me, right to it the next month. I waited 3 months, to see what would happen. Nada.

The LSH went well. Very minimal pain. I was up and mobile one day out. Same restrictions as others, no heavy lifting, vacuuming, etc. I took it easy, didn't do too much. Walked when I could, drank water. All in all I did well.

It seems to me that more ablations end up in hysterectomy than they care to report, just my opinion! Hope this helps.
Unread 08-20-2016, 04:48 PM

I agree -- as I've done my research I feel like I read lots of stories of people who tried ablation and then ended up having a hysterectomy. I guess for some people it's worth it to try, though.

Right now, I feel like I'm more of a one-and-done gal -- like, why not just get it over with?

Also, we had to cancel a long-planned family trip to Italy this summer because of my anemia and heavy bleeding, so I think that's coloring my thinking. I just don't want to ever have to go through that again! Even though I know it's not my fault that we had to cancel, and my kids and husband have been great about it, I still feel so guilty.

I'm hoping for clarity on Thursday after my level 2 ultrasound.

Thanks!
Unread 08-20-2016, 07:10 PM

Hello Jenny

The idea behind a myomectomy is to explore all options possible before getting to a hysterectomy. At least in my experience it was.

After a number of ultrasounds (even trans-vag), I had a large fibroid in an odd place..had the myomectomy yet the next month I was in more pain. I actually did have the same heavy bleeding and large clots (as if nothing had changed).

Much like you and after all that including one last option, I was ready for a hysterectomy too.

Talk things over with your . I hope you find the answers you are seeking.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register