Hi again ladies=) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN


HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Reply

Hi again ladies=) Hi again ladies=)

Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 06-10-2002, 11:57 PM
Hi again ladies=)

I have another question for you all if you don't mind.
For insight on my situation, please read my post entitled something like Newbie here in need of advice posted last night, i think. Anyway, As mentioned, My doc says after my cone biopsy, heals in about 6 weeks he wants my uterus and cervix out ASAP!
We are supposed to move exactly one week after he wants to operate. I am leaning more and more on waiting until we get to our new location. The problem is, he wants us to delay our move so he can operate exactly 6 weeks after my cone is done. DH and I feel that a couple of extra weeks aren't going to make much of a difference especially if the cone comes back negative for any invasion. What do you all think. By the way, the hospital on this base is very small compared to the base we are moving to. However, the bigger hospital has mostly residents. What do you think? Does two whole weeks really make that big of a difference as long as I get the treatment that is needed? Thanks.

Stef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Unread 06-11-2002, 04:33 AM
Hi again ladies=)

I just went back to look at what you posted before and my advice is DO NOT WAIT.

There are two kinds of cervical cancer--the kind that's the result of a virus and adenocarcinoma. The virus has a lot of slow cellular changes and progresses fairly slowly depending on the stage its discovered. Adenocarcinoma can kill you. It moves fast and it's invasive. You want it out now. If the cone shows no invasion, that's just a blessing. It's changed this much since May, so it shows that it's already in motion.

If you can catch it now, it sounds as though you've got surgery and maybe no further treatment to look forward to. If you wait, you might easily need a radical hysterectomy, radiation, and/or chemo. Wouldn't that be harder on your son? And the after effects of radiation can be hard and long lasting.

If it were the viral form, I think a couple weeks might be debatable, but adenocarcinoma is not debatable.

I realize you don't want to disrupt the plans, but this is really a case of better safe than sorry.
  #3  
Unread 06-11-2002, 10:28 AM
Hi again ladies=)

s Stef

I am not familiar with your type of cancer. But it sounds to me like Trish has given you some excellent advice. Also remember this is where a second opinion could be very important to you. Someone needs to fill me in on how the military operates. Their system is mentioned on this site from time to time and unfortunately I haven't a clue. It sounds like you have to stay with military docs. Out of curiosity, is there a gyn oncology surgeon that those of you in the military can consult with? Are you inpatient hospital stays restricted to those on military bases?

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Unread 06-11-2002, 01:45 PM
good advice

Trish and Karenann have great advice for you. I suppose the military will not post pone your move? All I know is that moving with a child a week after surgery is out of the question completely. Yes, you need the hysterectomy. Let's be realistic though, you are only one person. Yes, you want the cancer out, but you have to be able to recover. Mommy down, new school, moving, you in the hospital? I have a 16 month old, and 11 year old and a 9 year old. It was hard on them to see me not being able to do the normal things I do, and I had a lot of pain. I also ended up in the hospital for three weeks due to a hematoma. I am certainly not trying to scare you. But maybe you could move your move UP and have your surgery in the six week period from the cone that your doctor wants. Phew!!!! This is a tough. Thinking of you and
  #5  
Unread 06-11-2002, 08:36 PM
Hi again ladies=)

{{{Stef}}}

I'm so sorry that you are having all of these stressors at the same time! If only these things could happen on OUR schedules. But, this is where you are. Obviously, your doc thinks it is very important to have this done promptly and you need to give that some serious consideration.

Here are some other things to ponder while making your decision (or questions to ask your doc):

Can you have the surgery any sooner? I know he wants to wait 6 weeks, but some doctors do it sooner (everyone has their own way and I'm not suggesting that one is any better than the other--it's just a question for your doc).

Can you get a second opinion? After you have the cone results back and you discuss it with your doc, ask to discuss it with another doc. Or the pathologist may have an opinion to give (my doc frequently confers both with the gyn/onc and with the pathologist).

Can you go to see the doc at the new base? I know it could be a couple of states away, but it might be worth some consideration. I mean, it would be great if the military would put off your move for an extra month, but it could be equally good if they'd move it up a little. Then you could move, have the surgery, and then recover, and do all of your postop work with the same doctor. Can you move ahead of your husband? I'm just looking for options for you. You have a significant history here of a couple of different things and I wouldn't want you to put it off and then end up in a scenario that's worse than what you have. We do occasionally hear from women who have carcinoma-in-situ (or adenocarcinoma-in-situ) confirmed by a cone or LEEP and when they get in 6 weeks later have early stage cancer. It's nothing to play around with.

Please consider your options carefully. And if you can consult with a gyn/onc, it might be well worth it.

Good luck, Stef. Please let us know your cone results and keep us posted on your plans.

  #6  
Unread 06-12-2002, 06:02 AM
Hi again ladies=)

I need to confess something that Jeanine nudged me on. Thanks, Jeanine!

I simplified to make my point--my point was that you can read all kinds of cases where women waited with cervical cancer and dodged the worst bullet, but a diagnosis of adenocarcinoma is dangerous and other women's experiences don't necessarily apply.

In fact, there may be a relationship between many or even most cases of adenocarcinoma and HPV and none of it is safe to mess with. Time may turn the slower moving kind into the very aggressive kind. And adenocarcinoma may include the HPV risks of vaginal and vulvar cancer so follow-up is critical.

(On the other hand, in the future, there might be a vaccine that would prevent both forms. )
Reply

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register




Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
8 Replies, Last Reply 06-17-2008, Started By sadies
5 Replies, Last Reply 04-27-2006, Started By Haley2005
10 Replies, Last Reply 11-16-2005, Started By tac112
8 Replies, Last Reply 06-02-2003, Started By diet coke
7 Replies, Last Reply 09-07-2002, Started By beachgirl92651
8 Replies, Last Reply 09-04-2002, Started By Cynthia
0 Reply, Started By darlene
4 Replies, Last Reply 11-21-2001, Started By puppy2
4 Replies, Last Reply 09-10-2001, Started By bojack
5 Replies, Last Reply 02-14-2001, Started By notexcited
10 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
3 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
9 Replies, Pilates
9 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
5 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
6 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
16 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
3 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
4 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
21 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)



Advertisement

Hysterectomy News

May 18,2021

CURRENT NEWS

HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive

TODAY'S EVENTS

Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays


Request Information


I am a HysterSister

HYSTERECTOMY STORIES

Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours

FOLLOW US


Your Hysterectomy Date


CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  


$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!
Advertisement


Advertisement