I just don't know | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I just don't know I just don't know

Unread 06-11-2002, 11:32 AM
I just don't know

I was diagnosed on April 23 with uterine cancer and had my surgery on May 14th.(2002)
It all happened really fast and to compound things I'm wheelchair bound due to MS.
I spent alot of time in bed watching the other ladies walk with their IV poles. I'm so glad to be home where I have some control over my life. I felt they were more worried about
getting a back injury from a bad lift than the pain I was in or my recovery. Can you imagine
they discussed a spinal for my surgery because I was paralized? I nixed that!
Anyways, if I sound like I'm crying in my beer, I am! I left the hospital and all the surgeon
told me was that it was a clean operation. My family doctor looked at my records and said
they found no cancer cells in the nodes or outside the uterus walls. Should be good news right? Then she tells me I have to see the surgeon for my 6 week check up June 27 and he will tell me if I need a course of radiation. She told me if I stayed cancer free for two years
I'd have beat it.
Because it was so fast, it all seemed surreal and I didn't ask alot of things I guess I should have and I know they were wondering about the impact it would have on my MS.....
OKAY, that's off my chest. My non cancer question for today is- am I the only one who is still having trouble passnig gas and having regular bowel movements? The gas rolls around
and causes actual ripples in my surgery area.
I think this group is great and I hope to get alot of tips and support.
Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2002, 01:21 PM
I just don't know

Hi Carol...fellow Canadian!!

I am so glad to hear that your surgery took care of all the bad cells, and your family doctor probably just isn't sure if your surgeon may recommend a course of radiation or not, therefore she left it open in case he did. But if he told you he got it all then hopefully he would have said to you then if he thought you may need some radiation.

Gosh....I won't be much help with the gas and bowel question as I had chemo starting 10 days after surgery, and that did a real number on my bowels with constipation and gas pain, so I don't know what was normal healing from the hyster, and what was chemo related, but I did want to say that I have read where it does take a while for everything to get working again, and it may very well be harder on you being wheelchair bound as you say because I know that everyone says to walk as much as you can after surgery which helps get things moving again.

But if the gas pains are causing ripples, then you shouldn't have to suffer like that Carol, and I would put a call into the doctor to see if they can give you something for that. I ended up in ER with my constipation problems, and they gave me a bottle of stuff to take home and take. It took 24 hours but it worked well once it started. You didn't say if your bowel trouble was constipation, but regardless of what it is, its making you uncomfortable, and you should check it with the doctor and see if you can get something.

Again, I am so glad to hear that your surgery got all the cancer, and hopefully you won't require anything further!! Thats good news.
Take care,
Hugs,
Maria
Unread 06-11-2002, 01:29 PM
Hi Carol!

Hello, I am glad your surgery was successful and your report came back clear. It seems like some of us recover from things real fast- others take longer. It has only been a month or so for you, give yourself a break! You are still healing!

I can sympathize and relate to how you feel about it all being so surreal and fast. I found this site after my hyster. I wish I would have found it before! It is a whirlwind when you first find out, and you are scared, so you just want it done. After my hyster was done, I know I felt like I should have asked more questions. You are headed on the right path here, ask anything to your Doctor that comes to mind! Or-post here on cancer concerns.

I don't know much about MS, but I am sure it was hard to not be walking around. Maybe that has to do with your gas, are you moving more now? Like Maria said, your Dr. should be able and willing to prescribe or recommend something. Give him a ring, that's what they are there for.

If you have radiation, we will have something in common. My internal radiation starts on the 18th of June. Hang in there!!! sss and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2002, 02:03 PM
I just don't know

s Carol

You sure have been through alot in a relatively short period of time! Probably you are still a little shell shocked at this point in time.
It's normal for the surgeon to see you at the six week post op time. It sounds like radiation won't be needed, but your family doc didn't want to shut that door, just in case.
Your hospital stay sounds unpleasant. I too was not pleased with my inpatient experience. And this was at a major cancer center where I just about fell in love with all the other departments and their help. I still go back there to see my docs, get lab work done and for my support group. I guess I just hit a nasty bunch on the inpatient floor during my five day stay. They certainly gave me nothing extra. Go figure!!!
I'm sure being wheelchair bound has really slowed your return to normal bowel functioning. Perhaps your intestines and colon are still trying to figure out their new spot in your abdomin. I would definitely give the doc a call about that. If you are constipated perhaps a stool softener would help.
Keep in touch.

karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register