Tummy rumbling & gas, adhesion related?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tummy rumbling & gas,  adhesion related?? Tummy rumbling & gas, adhesion related??

Unread 06-12-2002, 01:17 PM
Tummy rumbling & gas, adhesion related??

Hi ladies !! I hope everyone is doing good today-

I know a lot of you have adhesions & i am wondering about something. I have been having an awful lot of tummy rumbles ( gets REALLY loud- ) & gas lately. Do any of you with adhesions have that happen to you? I am kind of wondering what it could be. I am scheduled to have a barium enema done next month- one of the few tests i havent had done......
I would really appreciate any in-put anyone might have on this- 's

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2002, 03:06 PM

Hi Susan, I have alot of rumbling going on in my tummy after I eat, doc said it's likely the bowel/intestinal adhesions....I guess it's the food and gas making it's way through??

I did have a barium enema prior to my last scope and the prep really was the worst part of it........I would ask to be zonked out if at all possible if I was to have it again, it's not all that pleasant but not painful........it wasn't successful in showing my bowel adhesions though so it wasn't very diagnostic for me!!

hope this helps at all, the old brain isn't working so swift this afternoon......'s!!!
Unread 06-12-2002, 03:44 PM

i don't know if i have adhesions or not but i sure do have the tummy rumbling and gas. i wanted to get in on this thread.
susan and gidge---i hope you both are hanging in there...i've been following your threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2002, 04:07 PM
Absolutely!

Susan, I had the exact same symptoms, and had my lap. two weeks ago, and my left ovary was glued to my bowel and the bowel was entagled(not strangulated) as well. So, yes, there is every possibility that that is the case. Sounds sooooooo familiar!! Hang in there, Love, Tickles
Unread 06-12-2002, 04:07 PM

Have any of you had a stool test done to check for infection?
Unread 06-12-2002, 06:48 PM

Thanks ladies - 's

I am sitting here & its starting again (the "rumbles") - i just ate about an hour ago. It always starts after i eat
Gidge: I had a barium enema done almost 2 yrs. ago so i unfortunately know what they are like. I kinda remember the gross stuff i had to drink all day the day before I think i have tried to block it out of my memory........
I havent been tested for infection either- the dr. didnt suggest it so i am not going to worry about it for now. God knows i have been thru enough tests already.
Tickles: thats weird that you had the same exact symptoms. Very interesting- i just wish i didnt have to wait a month to get this test done. I really, REALLY want to get this one over with. Maybe i will ask them if they will zonk me out with something- Lol !! I could have my DS drive me there & home. (hopefully he wont get another speeding ticket....).
Thanks again ladies !

Susan
Unread 06-12-2002, 08:12 PM
Adhesions Outside the Gut

I had the same thing as Tickles with the colon and the ovary but I had terrible complications a few weeks into recovery.

The belly rumble and gas thing could be adhesions
After talking to my doctor this is what I found out; the adhesions could be >Outside< of the innards causing a spasm or series of spasms that contributes to the gastric distress.
Or it could just be spasms all by them selves.

The problem does better since my antispasmodic for the Gastro Intestinal/bladder stuff was increased. My tummy is much quieter and swelly belly is much better right now, bowels are finally working better and I can eat.
With gastro-intestinal stuff it's a day by day trial and error.
It's a whole different trip.
Kamie

10 weeks and still troubleshooting
They now say I have developed the ever crankey
Irritable Bowel
Unread 06-13-2002, 08:35 AM

With me it seems to depend on what I eat, some things make the rumbles far worse!!

Hang in there Susan and hopefully the B.E. shows something!! 's!!!
Unread 06-13-2002, 10:12 AM
Hey kamie

I was just wondering Kamie, if you don't mind letting me know what your complications were after that surgery. If you'd rather not post, could you send me a pm? I had my lap done for that mess 2 weeks ago(actually a litttle over it was May 28th), and still don't feel right, but when I saw my Dr. on Mon. he felt that it's just that I've been kinda slammed by having 3 surgeries in 5 mos., one of which was the abdominal hyst. But if you don't mind, I'd really appreciate it...just wondering if what I'm feeling really is o.k. for this stage.. Thanks again, Love, Tickles
Unread 06-13-2002, 12:02 PM

Hey Susan! I just wanted to respond to your question since I have had MAJOR troubles in this area! I have now had every test imaginable (I think) to figure out why my tummy isn't happy. I have major bloating, horrible LOUD noises coming from my tummy (worse after I eat) and pelvic pain (right sided) non-stop. All of my tests came back clear for the most part. I had tests like the BE, colonoscopy, etc. I also had an ERCP (I hope that is right - basically the scope down the throat and into the ol' gut). Biopsies were taken to test for H-Pylori (negative), I had all kinds of allergy testing and the only thing that really showed up was a few food allergies (plus 2 kinds of yeast) and other environmental allergies (dust, etc.) My GI doctor said my intestines were in knots and being pulled in weird directions due to adhesions. He said he thought the noise was gas pockets being formed by the adhesions. I am not on any RX for this and he said he would only do surgery if a complete obstruction formed. I have been having allergy shots (ouch) and taking food drops since last November and to be honest, I see no difference. Sometimes I have fewer problems when I skip the food drops. My allergist said the shots and drops would make my body less sensitive to the allergens which would allow me to eat what I want eventually. I get bloated and have the "runs" no matter what I eat - allergic or not. So.....I am still searching for answers and living with the embarrassment. I know what you mean by loud noises - my stomach could wake the dead. I hate being in meetings, waiting rooms, etc. Anyway, I hope you get some answers. For now, I am trying activated charcoal that someone on the adhesions board recommended. I have to find something to help.

Many 's

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register