Scheduled TVH Upcoming total vaginal hysterectomy (10/5) with preservation of ovaries- what about tubes? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming total vaginal hysterectomy (10/5) with preservation of ovaries- what about tubes? Upcoming total vaginal hysterectomy (10/5) with preservation of ovaries- what about tubes?

Unread 09-22-2016, 05:58 AM
Upcoming total vaginal hysterectomy (10/5) with preservation of ovaries- what about tubes?

I love the wealth of support and education on this site, it has been so helpful!
I'm scheduled for TVH with preservation of ovaries on 10/5 for adenomyosis/bleeding. Since she specifically wrote "preservation of ovaries" can I assume tubes will be removed? My preop appt is Tuesday and I'll ask then but wondered if I should be prepared to ask specific questions about why or maybe it isn't that important anyway? Biopsy will also be done on Tuesday but I don't expect cancer cells to be found, I really believe the adeno is causing my problems
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2016, 07:20 AM
Upcoming total vaginal hysterectomy (10/5) with preservation of ovaries- what about tubes?

I kept both ovaries, and had both tubes removed. This is commonly done to reduce the risk of ovarian cancer, because recent studies suggest that it frequently starts there. Also, as my doctor explained it, the tubes are firmly attached to the uterus, and unlike the ovaries, they're redundant after it's removed, so it does make sense to have them removed. I would recommend speaking to your surgeon, so you can be perfectly clear on what he plans to do. Best wishes for whatever happens!
Unread 09-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Re: Total vaginal hysterectomy with preservation of ovaries- what about tubes?

I had many positive test results for cervical cancer, uterus unclear & tubes healthy, so I had the option of keeping or removing them. I chose to remove them because, as Tiger_Eye said, they are redundant when the uterus is removed. Today I got the pathology results - uterus clear but the tubes had advancing cancer cells, so Im glad I chose to have them removed! I just thought pre-op that I didn't need them, may as well take them out at the same time. Im a bit shocked & still digesting the news - It seems very odd that could happen (cervical cancer, uterus clear, but cancer in falopian tubes!) I'm glad I had them removed : )
Best of luck to you BBNH xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2016, 08:44 PM
Re: Total vaginal hysterectomy with preservation of ovaries- what about tubes?

Hi BBNH -

As the other women indicated, the Fallopian tubes are now frequently removed as research indicates that ovarian cancer starts there.

Here also are Questions for Your Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment.

Unread 09-27-2016, 09:06 PM

Thanks all! I had my preop today and as long as they look normal she will leave the tubes. My overall risk factor for ovarian cancer is low and she said there is less chance of trauma to ovaries if tubes remain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register