4 months post hysterectomy: Kept my ovaries and after surgery went right into Post Menopause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 months post hysterectomy: Kept my ovaries and after surgery went right into Post Menopause 4 months post hysterectomy: Kept my ovaries and after surgery went right into Post Menopause

Unread 09-25-2016, 08:21 PM
4 months post hysterectomy: Kept my ovaries and after surgery went right into Post Menopause

Hi I'm 50yrs old I had a total hysterectomy due to a large fibroid and kept my ovaries. I was still menstruating monthly. Surgery went well at my 6 week post op appt. I told my GYN I was having hot flashes, night sweats, and burning in my vagina. He did a urine test and told me it was the body tring to adjust. My urine test was neg. I just thought I was inflamed down there, because I had bad hemorrhoids. Well I lived with it for about 2 month taking hot epsom baths and sitting on an ice pack. My symptoms got worse I felt off. I could not sleep, still hot flashes, burning in my vaginal and rectal area, night sweats, mood swings, angry, depressed, pains in my legs, arms, just felt horrible. I decided to go to my PCP and told her the way I felt, and insist that she do blood work. She advised me to see my GYN, and a GI. The next day, I got in to see my reg.GYN which was not the surgent he was unavailable. She said it sounds like menopause, no UTI I had vaginal dryness and prescribed a vag. estrace cream. and labs to check my FSH. All test back my TSH was low 0.057 normal range 0.450 - 4.5 I was diaignost with Hashimoto last year and my levels were fine prior to surgery. So, now my thyroid was off and my medication was reduced my FSH was 167.8 (limits on post menopause is about 134) My body hormones are all out of wack! and can't understand how, I went right into post menapause?? Has this happened to anybody? Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2016, 11:13 PM
Re: Kept my ovaries and after surgery went right into Post Menopause

Hi there, The blood supply to the ovaries gets severed during surgery & it takes time to establish a new blood supply..So that means a reduced function which mean reduced estrogen..Its not uncommon for a refuced function to remain or possibly just stay that way & that means menopsuse..Chances are you were in perimenopause prior to surgery-that phase may last even 10 years prior to menopause & the official determination of menopause is natural cessation of a period for 12 months. I notice I have a reduced function. Im going to my Dr for a flow up. I hope you feel better.
Unread 09-26-2016, 04:01 PM
4 months post hysterectomy: Kept my ovaries and after surgery went right into Post Menopause

Hi there, just want to say thank for your reply. It's nice to know I' not alone. My endocrinologist told me the same thing but my GYN who did the surgery said that I am post menopausal and maybe I wasn't having periods it may have been my fibroid which was making me bleed every month. Lol! then he checked my surgical report and said yes it was my monthly menstrual cycle. I am starting the vivelle dot patch today! I'm crossing my fingers hoping eventually I will feel somewhat normal. Hope all goes well for you at your appt. I don't know about your Dr but i had to insist they check my hormones. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey66 View Post
Hi there, just want to say thank for your reply. It's nice to know I' not alone. My endocrinologist told me the same thing but my GYN who did the surgery said that I am post menopausal and maybe I wasn't having periods it may have been my fibroid which was making me bleed every month. Lol! then he checked my surgical report and said yes it was my monthly menstrual cycle. I am starting the vivelle dot patch today! I'm crossing my fingers hoping eventually I will feel somewhat normal. Hope all goes well for you at your appt. I don't know about your Dr but i had to insist they check my hormones. Best of luck!
Hi, You definitely are not alone..Thats crazy that the Gyn would say that.. Yes bleeding may occur anytime w a fibroid but the indicator would be if consistently occur around the same time monthly. He lost a touch of credibility by opening mouth bf reading report.lol! Oh, almost all of them say odd things at times.

Update, let us know how you do w the new patch. Theres many looking for info. I may need at some point too! I went to my Dr & having labs done... So wait about a week for results, then schedule another appt! I did tell her I have soy 2xs a day, omega 3's for joint pain & shes happy about that.

Take care! ⚘
Unread 09-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Re: 4 months post hysterectomy: Kept my ovaries and after surgery went right into Post Menopause

Hi, I also take vitamins I read that the omegas should be from EPA and DHA most beneficial for women. I need to get new ones found a brand "Barleans" ultra EPA/DHA 1,000mg wanted to share. Will post once the patch kicks in. Update once you get your results if I can help with questions you may have. Thanks again! Take care
Unread 09-27-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey66 View Post
Hi, I also take vitamins I read that the omegas should be from EPA and DHA most beneficial for women. I need to get new ones found a brand "Barleans" ultra EPA/DHA 1,000mg wanted to share. Will post once the patch kicks in. Update once you get your results if I can help with questions you may have. Thanks again! Take care
Right now, Ive been getting via food choices but Ill look into supplements too. I take vitamins but Once I get my labs Ill re evaluate. Thanks for the info. I'll post once I get the results.😊
Unread 09-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Re: 4 months post hysterectomy: Kept my ovaries and after surgery went right into Post Menopause

My gyn told me that one third of her 48 years old patients went straight into menopause after hysterectomy. Their ovaries never woke up.
Unread 09-27-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron80 View Post
My gyn told me that one third of her 48 years old patients went straight into menopause after hysterectomy. Their ovaries never woke up.
Neutron, Yes, you have a good point bringing up what your Dr has said, about some patients may go straight into menopause... I get some symptoms such as fatigue & joint pains. I take soy & eat foods w omega 3's. I feel like my symptoms ate on the mild side.. Im waiting for labs.. But who knows, bc my older sis had a hysterectomy w ovaries removed & shes never had any symptoms of menopause. I guess Ill get answers soon. My Dr told me that many women never get menopause symptoms...I dont know where they are? Maybe they dont have any issues so theyre not on HS site????
Unread 09-28-2016, 06:43 PM

My grandmother (who had an hysterectomy) never had hot flashes, her mother and sisters neither. She doesn't believe in hot flashes

When I was having hot flashes on Lupron, my mother, who was not menopausal at that time, told me : " You have hot flashes?! In my family we don't have them. It must be from you father's side!"
Unread 09-28-2016, 07:02 PM

My grandma had a hysterectomy in her early 20s she passed when I was much younger wish she was here, so I could ask her about how I am feeling I have my mom and 3 older sisters and one younger but they all went through menopause easily I was the only one who had issues and needed a hysterectomy. I just want to say I am so happy to have more sisters who can relate to me! thank you to my exstented family!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register