TVH/RSO - My Castle Story - Long Long Story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH/RSO - My Castle Story - Long Long Story TVH/RSO - My Castle Story - Long Long Story

Unread 06-13-2002, 03:00 PM
My Castle Story - Long Long Story

A week before my scheduled castle date for a TAH-RSO (Left has been gone for 10 years), I found out that my Dr. doesn't have a very good surgical track record. I hurried and went to another Dr. who came highly recommended, but didn't really like him and would have to postpone at least 3 weeks. Didn't want to do that so I stayed with my original plan. Then DH did some more research and found that he REALLY didn't want me to go with my current Dr. AND found a highly recommended Dr who could get me into surgery just one day later than my original schedule - plus I would be at a nicer castle, closer to home - I hesitated, because this new Dr is a friend of ours and I felt kind of weird going to a friend for this kind of stuff. But eventually I realized what a great gift was being offered me and accepted. I cancelled my original surgery 2 days before it was supposed to happen - they never even asked why!! And went in to see my new Dr. for an exam on Monday with the surgery scheduled for Tuesday. Imagine mine and DH's surprise when the new Dr says that he can do a TVH instead of a TAH!!! ALL of the other Drs said a TVH was out of the question because of my pelvic bone structure and the extent of the adhesions cementing my uterus to everything around it. We were thrilled.

So, left home at 5:00 am on Tuesday for the chariot ride to the castle. Checked in a 6:00 am and went straight into a room and changed into the beautiful princess gown. Waited for Respiratory to come give me a breathing treatment for my asthma. At 7:00 am a nice young knight came and took my new throne for a ride up to the OR. Kissed and said goodbye to DH right outside the OR doors. Went into the OR and met the head OR nurse and the A guy. She held my hand and kept talking with me while he got the IV started. Had to try a couple of times since my veins were being shy. Finally got it going. Talked a lot with the A guy about my previous nausea episodes so he gave me some Zofran right away and promised to keep the things that normally cause nausea to a minimum. Dr came in and said Hi - he helped the nurse get me all comfy on the new table - they were really sweet and worried that I might be cold, so they wrapped up my feet all nice and snuggly warm. I asked how much pain I would be in when I woke up and he said it should be very little. I started feeling a little floaty and the A man patted my cheek and told me he had started to put the sleepy drugs in.

Next thing I remember, I'm in my room with DH holding my hand - no throwing up and only a little bit of pain. WOO HOO! I found out that the surgery only took about 20 minutes overall. I only lost 50 ccs of blood and that everything came out great. The only adhesions that were any problem were the ones that were attaching my bladder to my uterus, but that they were taken care of OK. My uterus was totally filled with Adeno and was the size of a 3 month pregnancy. My ovary had cysts all over it.

The rest of that day was a haze - dozing on and off - DH set up the nurses candy basket and made sure to point it out to all of them. They loved it and took VERY VERY good care of me. They gave me Demerol pain shots when I needed them the rest of the day - the shots were mixed with Phenagren for nausea. They were also giving me Toradil shots for anti imflamatory. No catheter - but also no pee pee. They had me try several times, and the pressure was building, but I simply could not get anything going. Finally they catheterized me to drain the bladder, but then took it right out so I could keep trying. Brought me liquid meals - ate a little jello, sipped a little broth - not much else. Kept sipping at water and still had IV. Finally decided to do a Foley cath for the night - no problems getting it in or having it - and boy did I need it. The bag completely filled up 3 times that night. During the night, switched to Percocet tablets instead of the shots.

A little concern because my Blood Pressure went quite low 86/61 during the night, but just kept a close eye on it.

Next morning - took the cath out - went for a short walk and Tah Dah - I peed!! Dr. came in to see me. Poked my belly and listened to everything. Said I was cleared to go home if I ate my lunch OK. Ate some eggs and toast for breakfast - took a few more short walks - DH came and updated me on everything the Dr told him. Told me that I was funny when I was drugged up and kept repeating myself. Talked with nurse and told her that Dr said I could go if I ate my lunch. She got check out papers ready. Lunch came - ate what I could - and then off we went.

Ride home was OK. Bumps were a little owey, but not unbearable. Went right onto the couch and slept for a couple of hours. Started HRT - Estradoil 2 mg - no problems with that.

Went up to bed and slept well all night. Spending today dozing, walking, sipping water and watching TV. Too many drugs still to really concentrate on reading. Only get a page or two done at a time.

I am SOOOOO grateful and so blessed. I was all prepared for a big incision and lots of pain - I've had that 3 other times so I knew how bad it would be. This is a walk in the park comparitively speaking, and seriously, I feel great - better than I have in a long time. Even the worst of the pain after the surgery was no worse than the pain EVERY SINGLE month with my period.

My only question at this point - why did I wait so long?????

Best wishes to all

Love,
Elaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register