My appointment with my Gyn Onc yesterday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My appointment with my Gyn Onc yesterday My appointment with my Gyn Onc yesterday

Unread 06-14-2002, 08:53 AM
My appointment with my Gyn Onc yesterday

Hi ladies--

Well, I had my appointment with my Gyn Onc yesterday. I'm really glad that I went to see him -- he is such a calming influence for me and I like him a lot (he is not afraid to put his arm around you when you are crying...). Anyway, he examined me and said that I have a chemo-induced rash from my stomach (near my waistband) all of the way to my ankles (including my genitalia - ouch). My hands and feet are also red and sore. He said that it is all chemo induced. Regarding the vaginal itching, he is not completely convinced that it is hormone related, but he gave me another prescription for Estrace, just in case. The Estrace does seem to be helping and when I see him on the 25th for my next chemo, I'm going to ask about other options, like Vagifem and Estring. He wants me to take oxycodone on a regular basis until my chemo is over to relieve all of my pains. It seems scary to be taking an opoid drug on a continuous basis, but he said that I need it for the pain and it does seem to help (makes me kind of goofy -- things that aren't funny crack me up for some reason whenever I take it -- even the dumbest jokes, lol). Anyway, I'm glad that I got some sort of relief. I told him about the nurse yelling at me and he rolled his eyes like he had heard this type of story before and mumbled, "thank goodness she is going on maternity leave soon." So I guess he has heard those complaints before. All in all, I feel better now that I have seen him, and I wanted to thank all of you for listening to my ranting -- you are all truly a Godsend.

I love you all,

Cyndy

-- my mini-dachshund, Molly -- she keeps me going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2002, 10:13 AM

Hugs Cyndy!!
So glad you had a good appt. Its so nice when we like our oncologists! They are very important people to us, and its really good when we like them, and they make us feel comforted. I am sure they get yelled at every now and then, ( I know mine did, when I wanted to quit chemo)....but they always seem to be very level and calming to us!! They truly understand what we go though I think.

What a sin about your rash!!! I hope its not the itchy type! Its amazing all the different effects we can get from our treatments. So long as they are working, it makes these annoying extras bearable somewhat though!!

It does indeed sound like your doctor has heard about that nurse before, and if she is going on leave, then hopefully you won't have to encounter her again thank goodness!!

All in all it sounds like a good check-up!!
Sending lots of love & Hugs!!
M. xoxo
Unread 06-14-2002, 10:49 AM
{{{Cyndy}}}

Hey Cyndy girl,

Sounds like you got some answers yesterday! And some relief!!

Hey, next time you take your meds, lets chat, I have some really corny jokes that no one ever laughs at ! Sounds like you could be the audience I've been looking for!!

Seriously though, I hope this medicine helps relieve some of your pain, and that ITCH can be a real PAIN! I've been taking percocet for a while now and I don't know what I would have done without it. We are starting the weaning of it now though and it's going pretty smoothly. I said that to say this, don't worry about taking it. We do what we have to do when we have to do it to get well. You are my hero Cyndy!

Hang in there friend it will all be over soon! Prayers are still goin up for you!

Love ya bunches,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2002, 11:59 AM
Glad you got to Doctor

And I'm glad Nurse Ratched is going on leave for a while. Maybe she'll transfer to another department! He should say something to her if he's heard this before--like he's getting complaints and she's upsetting people. Also good luck with the oxycodone--I had that post surgery and it did nothing for me--a while back, threw out half the prescription plus (before I found out what I could've sold it for on tbe street--which naturally I'd never do!) as I found that Advil worked better for me. Anything they can give you for the rash? Here's hoping this Doxil does the trick--maybe those cells are "itching" to get out of you? I know--bad. Big and here's hoping you'll kick cancer's butt!
Unread 06-14-2002, 03:04 PM

s Cyndy

I am so glad to read you are feeling so much better. That darn nurse!!!
As a seasoned nurse, I wish I could talk with her alone for about ten minutes.
Pregnancy hormones or not!!!!! Not acceptable. Your doctor is not the nurse's boss. You should probably have asked to speak with her nurse manager. I know you weren't in the frame of mind to do this that day, but perhaps on your next chemo day, you should stop in the nursing office and tell them what happened. She would surely be told about the incident.
Take the pain medicine as prescribed and don't give it another thought. While going through treatment we all deserve the best quality of life there is available for us. You want to feel the best you possibly can.
I, like Susan, would love to get you in chatroom right about now. And I don't even have jokes to share. I'm rather slow in chatrooms, so I would just sit back and enjoy the banter.
Have a good weekend Cyndy.

karenann
Unread 06-14-2002, 09:50 PM

HI CYNDY,
I AM SO GLAD YOU SAW THE DOCTOR AND HE MADE YOU FEEL BETTER.
ALSO I AM VERY HAPPY THIS NASTY WOMEN IS LEAVING SHORTLY.
AT LEAST YA WON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH HER FOR AWHILE.
( HOPE THE BABY IS COLIC ) ONLY KIDDING!! WELL, MAYBE NOT.
AS FOR YOUR MEDS, I AM HAPPY THEY STOP THE PAIN FOR YOU AND ARE HELPING.
I WANT TO GIVE YA A BIG AND A
YOUR A REAL TROOPER CYNDY.
SOON YOU'LL BE BACK TO NORMAL, THE CELLS ARE DYING EVERYTIME YOU HAVE A TREATMENT.
REMEMBER THAT!!!!
Unread 06-16-2002, 07:32 PM

{{Cyndy}}

I'm so glad you were able to feel better after seeing your Dr. Grrrr on the nurse!!! Gotta wonder sometimes "why" they work where they do.

I hope that the rash and itching will soon get better for you, that can be pretty miserable. Let me know if they decide on the Vagifem, I've been using that for a couple of months now and have also seen others who are also on it.

Hey gal, there's nothing wrong with cracking up over simple stuff. Remember, laughter is GOOD for the soul!

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register