doing the right thing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

doing the right thing? doing the right thing?

Unread 06-14-2002, 10:57 AM
doing the right thing?

I just recently joined this site and I do love it. It has provided me some great information so far. Scheduled for surgery July 2nd and I'm getting freaky already. Have only seen this new doctor twice and am confident in his ability, but I dont think I will be seeing him before I go to the castle. We never discussed abdominal versus vaginal or discussed me being terrified of being put to sleep. I've never even been in the hospital before. I have lots of questions. He says he is going to try to save my ovaries but I've heard this doesnt work very often anyway. Just lots of things running through my mind these days. I have one more week to make sure I can go through with this, although no one is going to let me live on pain pills the rest of my life.

Sorry ya'll I know you've heard the same story before, just venting I guess....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2002, 11:27 AM
doing the right thing?

Vent away lady, That is what is so wonderful about this site and these ladies. We know and we care and we don't mind listening. Can you make an appointmet to just talk with doc about some of your concerns before surgery? It is so routine to them, that I think they do't realize tha it isn't to us.

Nancy
Unread 06-14-2002, 11:37 AM
doing the right thing?

Feel free to vent. I know it helps to do so. I agree an appointment to talk to the Dr. is a good idea. My dr's nurse told me this in no big deal but is scary. When I had c-section the anasethetic (spelling?) actually helped me. I had cronic stuffed nose for years came out of the anasthetic and no problem since. Go figure.

Stressed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2002, 11:48 AM
FREEDOM !!!!

Hi, Cpalady....this is my 1st time respondng to this sight. My doctor told me about this sight the other day, and it's been fun !!!
I hope you can relax and enjoy the new change that is going to come into your life, with your hyster !!!
May I suggest that you schedule a " pre-op" visit with your doctor, my doctor MADE me schedule one with her, and it was really nice, she listen to my heart, both physically and verbally, she sat down like she had nowhere else to be and explained things about the operation and then asked if I had questions.
I am soooo excited to be having my hyster, I went into this doctor who I had never seen before, I hadn't been to an OB/GYN since I had my 11 year old,( which left me HATING OB/GYN's !!!) but I knew something was wrong and I couldn't live with the pain and bleeding anymore. I told them right up front I wanted a hyster, and they said they would need a reason and I said " hopefully you'll find one" and they did...a prolasped uterus !!! So I'm scheduled for Monday, June 17th ( only becasue I had 2 different vacations that would take up the last 3 weeks, or I would have been doing this a month ago !!!)
I can't wait for this new chapter in my life !!!! Not to feel one symthom or another for 3 1/2 weeks out of the month, then bleeding like a stuck pig for several days, to the point of barely being able to leave the house...who needs it !!!! I feel like Mel Gibson in BRAVEHEART..I want to put on war paint....go to the Kotex isle in Wal-Mart and yell " FREEDOM " !!!
So this is my out look on my surgery...don't cry for me Argetinina !! I'm smiling all the way to the OR !!!! Rose
If I've gotten this right I'm scheduled to have a TVH/BSO
Unread 06-14-2002, 12:48 PM
doing the right thing?

I agree with the others...Go back and talk to that DR! This is a major surgery and you shouldn't have any questions left unanswered! Write them down as you think of them and ASK AWAY!
lots of luck
Unread 06-14-2002, 06:31 PM
doing the right thing?

Hi cpalady-

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm scheduled for a TAH July 2nd and I'm having MAJOR second thoughts.

My pre-op appointment was this week. I asked the dr what restrictions i would have after surgery and he said, Just don't lift anything over 25 pounds and do what you want to do. But be warned: you won't feel like doing much. I didn't really know how to take that: sounds like other people have gotten much more detailed information. He did go on to say that I really needed to listen to my body and trust it: that I would need to walk a lot but wouldn't be able to go nearly as far as I'm used to now. He implied all the long list of restrictions was old-fashioned and he thought people didn't really follow it anyway. Is that sort of what other people have heard?

Warning: Major Pity Party Alert: I've got fibroids and PCO, but the main problem is I've been bleeding daily since January (except for about 5 weeks after a depo provera shot). I had a D&C a month ago, and I went 2 whole days without bleeding. Got another depo shot and now the bleeding is down to a few hours everyday. But I said ENOUGH already--didn't want to deal with pads every day for years. Now I'm agonizing---my problem doesn't sound nearly as bad as other people here are dealing with. What to do???? Does anyone know of someone who decided maybe it just wasn't bad enough to justify surgery? How did it turn out? Sorry-this was mostly a pity party vent. Thanks for indulging.
Unread 06-14-2002, 07:24 PM
doing the right thing?

Corkie,

After reading all the reasons other ladies were having surgery I too felt that maybe I shouldn't have a hyst since my problems seemed minor compared to theirs.

I'm now 7 1/2 weeks post and am so glad I went thru with it.
Iwill no longer have only one good week a month. I will no longer have pain in my abdomen when I have sex. I will no longer feel like scooping out my insides with a spoon. My boyfriend will no longer be afraid to call me wondering who will answer the phone me or my evil twin. I do not have the terrible mood swings or sink into deep depressions.

Granted, I could still experience some problems while my hormones get regulated but so far I feel better than I have in years.

Good luck to you. s and
Unread 06-15-2002, 06:45 AM
doing the right thing?

I am 9 days post-op and its true! You do what you feel like doing and DO NOT push yourself! Dr. was telling you right I feel. Thats pretty much what your going to do anyway TRUST ME. I have driven and taken a bath, DR. told me this was a I did get the restrictions named to me by the PA at my DR. office, she has had a TAH/BSO and knew what I would be feeling, but like I said , I went to mr DR. appt. driving myself, 1 week post op , to get stitches out. I do what I can and by the way...DONT drive..I hurt badly now :cry: but nobody to blame but me...Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register