low estrogen levels? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

low estrogen levels? low estrogen levels?

Unread 06-14-2002, 05:41 PM
low estrogen levels?

Hi Sisters,

I was on a couple other message boards and sis' there referred me to you all. I had a TAH 5.5wks ago, kept my ovaries. However, I've had what I think to be bladder pain ever since. They gave me antibiotics and pain lessened, but I still have dull, achy pain just above or behind the pubic bone. One sis said that low estrogen levels makes her bladder cranky:burning:
Any suggestions? I'm wondering if my gyno will do a hormone level on me considering I kept my ovaries. Is it too early to ask such a thing? Also, my libido is pffffff. I never did have a strong sex drive, but this is rediculous. I thought women only had trouble in that area if they had their ovaries removed. Do you think an overthecounter progesterone cream would help? There are no compounding pharmacies here. I'd have to purchase it at a GNC store. Sorry so many questions. Thanks for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2002, 08:30 PM
low estrogen levels?

Hi Redpepper,

You are still very early in the healing process and all of what you are describing is not unusual. Depending on how much surgery was done on or around your bladder, one can experience some discomfort afterwards. My bladder was mostly sore and I would feel like I was about to wet my pants every time I had the least urge to urinate. It was like my bladder holding capacity was nil. It did get better over time and then back to normal.

It is also not unusual to experience hormone fluctuations and withdrawals following surgery, even if you kept your ovaries. Most of them wake back up after a few weeks and for those who don't the symptoms get much worser. I would say that it is probably still a little early to check the levels, but if it makes you feel better by all means do ask your doctor. I had immediate hot flashes following surgery that went away after about a week. Then 6 mos later I had to go on hormone replacement. Now I have recently been taken back off of it because I was experiencing symptoms of too much estrogen. We are going to recheck my labs after 2 weeks off HRT to see if my ovary has started functioning again. It can be so tricky with those hormones!

I wouldn't add progesterone until after I talked to the doctor. If you do plan to have labs checked later on, the Progesterone will give you some false readings. Also, the lower sex drive is not abnormal considering your body just went through major surgery and radical changes. It should get better with time, but once again if it doesn't don't hesitate to ask the doctor.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but some more time may iron out a lot of your concerns. But hey, don't be afraid to ask because that is what the doctor is there for.
Unread 06-14-2002, 09:49 PM
low estrogen levels?

I'm taking Lupron Depot which supresses estrogen and bladder ache/urethral discomfort is one of my biggest side effects. I also feel a shooting vaginal pain sometimes when I urinate. My dr assures me this is from a lack of estrogen. I started taking a progesterone cream and symptoms completely disappeared w/in a week or so (everyone is different--it can take up to 3 months from what I understand). It also helped hot flashes, headaches, sleeplessness, moods. When I told my dr I was on it and it was helping she advised me to go off so I did and, sure enough, w/in a couple days all symptoms were back.
Of course who's to say that is the cause of your pain, but I thought I'd share my experience with you. My dr says there is a high concentration of estrogen in the bladder so it makes sense to feel changes there. But if you kept your ovaries...seems like it may be post-op pain rather than hormonal, but you never know. A hormone test could identify but you may need to wait until you're further along in recovery. I know there are labs that will do saliva hormone tests w/out a dr's orders if you're don't want to wait that long. You can find them on the internet or even through a naturopath.
Hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2002, 07:30 PM
low estrogen

Thanks Sisters for the info. I'm going to wait another couple weeks and if things haven't subsided some, I will definately make a trip to the docs office. I can't imagine going thru this pain the rest of my life. Sometimes I get a shooting pain when urinating, but not always. The dull ache does subside some when I sit down. However, driving aggrivates it. Symptoms are so confusing. I refuse to take pain killers. I've got asthma and am a bit hyper. I don't need anything else contributing to these conditions.

I was just thinking.....maybe the pain is the facia tissues healing? Any of you have experience with that?

Well, thanks for the info ladies. Talk to you later.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register