Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Can Post Ablation Syndrome Symptoms worsen so quickly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Can Post Ablation Syndrome Symptoms worsen so quickly? Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Can Post Ablation Syndrome Symptoms worsen so quickly?

Unread 10-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Can Post Ablation Syndrome Symptoms worsen so quickly?

I made first appt with dr for pelvic pain. It was new and not my normal endometriosis pain. I explained to them these new sharp pelvic pains and a missing period (3months now).
I had ablation done in 08 but never stopped having periods. Up till about 4 months ago, I was having pretty normal periods! So I thought it was weird, that NOW they finally stop. But why all the pain with that.
They did ultrasound, called me in and told me that I needed hysterectomy and we had some scheduling issues. So I can't commit until 11/11. I'm scheduled for LAVH.
Nurse told me that reading the notes, that she was sure it will be a TAH, but I've heard they say that a lot.

So my question....Does this post ablation syndrome go downhill fast? I went from having some pelvic pain here and there to almost daily. It is waking me up a lot in the night. I can be walking and a random stabbing pain about takes me down.

Others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2016, 08:13 PM
Re: Can Post Ablation Syndrome Symptoms worsen so quickly?

I am here sister. I have PATSS, not just PAS. What a horrid nightmare its been. I had my ablation done in 2014, and have not bled since. These symptoms can be horrendous at times. They have incuced vomiting, dizziness, and even blacking out. It is sad because doctors (at least the ones ive met) know nothing about it, and they feel like ibuprofen will knock out the pain.
Yes, this problem goes downhill fast. I do hope your doctor is taking better care of you than mine has! If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me!
GOOD LUCK, WOMAN!
Unread 10-30-2016, 10:39 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Can Post Ablation Syndrome Symptoms worsen so quickly?

Well I'll be greatful my dr was the one whom told me about it.
What a nightmare. My dr gave me Tylenol #3 to get me thru till surgery. Sone days are fine and others...well you know. Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2016, 11:33 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Can Post Ablation Syndrome Symptoms worsen so quickly?

YES!!!! I had my ablation in May of 2014. After that, no more periods. Awesome!!! September 4, 2016, I felt what I remembered to be cramps and had some light spotting. Very light. It happened twice and I checked to see that it was indeed coming from "there" and not a 'roid or something. Within two days, the cramps were constant and I went to the gyno. Exam and ultrasound later confirmed I had post-ablation syndrome. In the past year, my uterine lining had gone from 0mm to 7.6mm. She said I was having my period. Since this was the first time it had happened, we should see how I evened out.

I didn't. The pain got worse. If I was awake, it was cramping and had started moving to back labor-like pain. I can't take NSAIDs so I was just taking Tylenol when I absolutely couldn't stand it. She gave me Tramadol to take if I could stay home and it helped me sleep at night but made me very groggy. After 3 weeks, I called for a follow up and she went ahead and made the diagnosis. The next day, my surgery was scheduled. Since then, they Tramadol has stopped working and last week, I was prescribed Tylenol 3. I only take it at night so I can function during the day.

I know I'm lucky that I was able to get scheduled so fast. Between the pain and the abdominal swelling, months of this would have been torture. I'm stunned at how quickly it has escalated and trying not to think that there might be something else at play.
Unread 11-01-2016, 11:50 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/11: Can Post Ablation Syndrome Symptoms worsen so quickly?

I think it is scary because it progresses so fast. I'm on Tylenol #3 and I'm not one to take pain meds. But I've finally caved! I'll be happy to get this surgery over with.
Unread 11-02-2016, 08:39 AM

Right down to the timelines I have the same story, except that I don't have a surgery date. In fact when I dropped off my OR booking papers the woman told me I might have to wait til the new year for a call! I put myself on the cancellation list and I'm hoping everyday for a call.

I had my ablation in 2015 and thought my problems were over. Light periods, few cramps even my perimenopausal symptoms had eased! And then boom, all of a sudden I'm in the worse pain I've ever experienced.

The pain is always there but it's worse before and during my period. The doc prescribed morphine (!) for the pain but when it's at its worst even that doesn't take it away. But then again I try to take it as little as possible so I think my tolerance for any kind of pain is at an all time low.

I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming surgery!
Unread 11-02-2016, 12:08 PM

I didn't know it had a name like PAS, but I had my hysterectomy because of complications from my ablation. I had my ablation in June 2014 and at first it was marvelous! My periods practically disappeared. Starting sometime last year, I was getting increased cramping each month and increased spotting. And then - wow, it was actually a year ago this weekend - I woke up late one night in bad pain that I didn't even recognize as cramps. It rapidly got worse - I was in the bathroom and it was the first time in my life I've ever thrown up from pain. I woke my husband up and said something was wrong and I needed to go to the ER. I thought I had appendicitis or kidney stones or something like that - the pain was so bad I could barely move. The ER found a small ovarian cyst. Over the next few months, my doc decided that I had either developed endometriosis in my mid-40s, or I had scar tissue buildup from the ablation that prevented the blood from getting out easily which is what prompted the strong cramps.

My doc said my options were to try birth control or get a hysterectomy. I tried birth control but it did not prevent the pain. This summer, I had another two more bad episodes like the one that sent me to the ER. This time I gutted it out at home. It was awful. Percocet and vicodin were useless - I may as well have taken sugar pills. That's when I scheduled the hysterectomy.

So far, at four weeks out, I'm so glad I had it done! I've been lucky - my surgery and recovery have been textbook and the worst of the post-surgical pain isn't even on the same scale as the episodes I experienced before.
Unread 11-02-2016, 08:41 PM

"ByeBloodyMary" I'm happy it's worked out for you! I hope to post soon how I come out of this. I had a rough night last night and my husband kept asking me if I wanted to go to ER. I just figured they couldn't do much more then what i was trying. I finally got a few hours of sleep, curled up on a heating pad.
I'm not having bowel issues...I dont even want to know what's going on there...I'm sure I'll find out after the surgery.

"NortherThunder" I'm so sorry you're waiting! I hope that you can get in soon!!! This is so rough and I get that you have to be miserable, as I know I am right now.
Hang in there!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register